Start by marking “Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love” as Want to Read:
Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love

Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  27 reviews
More than 65 delightful games and activities to jump-start your baby's amazing brainpower

Can simply singing a song or blowing a dandelion under a toddler's nose help her mind to blossom? Can your baby count, remember events, and solve problems even before he can talk? The exciting answer to both questions is yes!

Breakthrough research is revealing the extraordinary inborn
Published July 5th 2000 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Baby Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Minds

Kelly
This book is similar to another book I read this year: What's Going on in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life.[return][return]Although I enjoyed What's Going on in There?, I *loved* Baby Minds because it focused more on what you can do to help your baby's brain grow. And not in a baby-flashcards sort of way, either. The games they suggest are fun and easy to incorporate into your routine. For example, they recommend modeling some pretend play starting at around ...more
Elizabeth
This is a great introduction to development of children during their first two years. The authors strive to present research in an engaging manner and use the research as an explanation of why certain games are particularly fun and/or enriching for a child at a particular age. Although I enjoyed reading about the research, the meat of the book is the treatment of fun activities to do with children of different ages. A helpful summary at the back of the book reminds you (with page numbers) of the ...more
Elizabeth
One of my all-time favorite parenting/child development books. The authors summarize major child development research in a fun, easy to read, easy to understand manner. Then they offer practical suggestions for related games and activities for babies and toddlers that correspond to each developmental phase. This books is hands-on fun! It doesn't have the pretension of other baby brain development books that promise earlier reading and higher IQs. Instead, this book promotes strategies and activi ...more
Bird
My main problem with this book is that the title doesn't match up to the content. The title and description make it seem like the book is devoted to "Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love." In reality, it's a book on child development that just happens to include some games you can play to help enhance their development at each stage.

The book is broken up into informational chapters, with 1-2 pages of games listed at the end of each chapter. There's a list of all the games in the back of the
Lindsey
This was basically a review of things I learned in Child Dev. classes, but I really enjoyed it (it's a quick read)! It talks about current research in an easy to understand way and then gives a lot of practical, inexpensive ideas to help your child realize his or her potential based on the research. I would recommend it to any parent of an infant (the tips are for birth to age three).
Tauna
This has some good information about different activities you can do with your child for different developmental areas. The format of the book was a little irritating to me but some might like it- a news flash anecdote, research data, and then practical steps. The best thing about it is that pointers are provided for applying the ideas to the different age ranges.
Chris
Most of it is pretty simple and self explanatory, but there were some really good ideas for little games you can play, broken down by age (Birth-6 mo, 6+ mo, 12+ mo, 24+ mo, etc). All of those are recapped on the final 5 pages of the book. If I had it to do again, I would have skipped the book and read the last five pages.
Rosa
Love, Love, Love IT! I can't refer to this book enough. I'm always looking for new games and activities to engage my children in and this book is filled with them. I have tabs all through it and refer to it all the time (literally, almost every day) for ideas on what to play with my children.
Tessie
This book was pretty good. I felt like it had a lot of fluff, and she could have gotten to the point quicker. But it had some fun suggestions on things you can start teaching your toddler. If anything, they're some fun cheap games to play to keep them entertained.
Doris
Aug 17, 2007 Doris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book has some pretty good ideas on what to do to enhance your child's mental development and keep them entertained. My daughter loves playing the game where you tie a string to her foot and then to a mobile and has to kicks to make the mobile move.
Gail
I really like this book. It is nice to see activities that relate to all the child development/psychology studies I read about in school. They are easy to do activities that often are slight variations on things you would be doing already.

Amanda
Lots of great ideas in this book.
Makes you think about the simple things in life that get your baby's brain buzzing.
I would recommend this book to parents who take pride in stimulating their baby's mind :)
Kim
I learned a lot from this book. It goes into detail about the development of a baby's mind and why certain "games" are useful to play at certain ages. Very informative!
AJ Conroy
The title is mis-leading in that there aren't actually games, but the book is helpful in describing a baby's mental development and how parents can foster that growth.
Lucy Bilik
Great book for baby mind development assistance. Love suggestion of the games and activities to do with your baby. Would recommend this to parents of curious babies.
kristy
Good tips on how to get your baby's brain active. What bothered me was this sense that you have to be neurotically teaching your baby nonstop.
Jocelyn
Awesome ideas for interacting with your child...very fun ways to increase learning opportunities with your baby/toddler.
Betty
Easy to read and full of practical development activities. Quite a lot of overlap with Baby Signs though.
Lisa
A few of the suggested games seem ludicrous to me, but I like most of it. It's a good reference.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2008 Andrea added it
Shelves: baby-books
I learned different games and activities to do with my son based on his age and development.
Megan
Basically this book just confirmed that I'm doing everything right thus far. Whoop!
Sara Waldrip
Loved it, lots of games to explore with my lo. It's a great book for geeky parents.
Shelley White-corey
Did you know that babies start learning in utero? This book will blow YOUR mind!
Christine Turner
Focus on ages and stages of development and what to do at each stage.
Beth
Also great ideas for playing with baby right from the start!
Melissa Bader
Lots of ideas. Information on research studies. Informative.
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Alix Rowe
Alix Rowe is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Rajkumar
Rajkumar marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Baby Hearts: A Guide to Giving Your Child an Emotional Head Start
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler
  • What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home
  • Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, New Edition My First Baby Signs Baby Signs for Mealtime Baby Signs for Bedtime Baby Signs Starter Kit