Start by marking “Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love” as Want to Read:
Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love

Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love

More than 65 delightful games and activities to jump-start your baby's amazing brainpower

Can simply singing a song or blowing a dandelion under a toddler's nose help her mind to blossom? Can your baby count, remember events, and solve problems even before he can talk? The exciting answer to both questions is yes!

Breakthrough research is revealing the extraordinary inborn
Published July 5th 2000 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Baby Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Minds

Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book is similar to another book I read this year: What's Going on in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life.[return][return]Although I enjoyed What's Going on in There?, I *loved* Baby Minds because it focused more on what you can do to help your baby's brain grow. And not in a baby-flashcards sort of way, either. The games they suggest are fun and easy to incorporate into your routine. For example, they recommend modeling some pretend play starting at around ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 03, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: eve-s-books
This is a great introduction to development of children during their first two years. The authors strive to present research in an engaging manner and use the research as an explanation of why certain games are particularly fun and/or enriching for a child at a particular age. Although I enjoyed reading about the research, the meat of the book is the treatment of fun activities to do with children of different ages. A helpful summary at the back of the book reminds you (with page numbers) of the ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite parenting/child development books. The authors summarize major child development research in a fun, easy to read, easy to understand manner. Then they offer practical suggestions for related games and activities for babies and toddlers that correspond to each developmental phase. This books is hands-on fun! It doesn't have the pretension of other baby brain development books that promise earlier reading and higher IQs. Instead, this book promotes strategies and activi ...more
Bird
My main problem with this book is that the title doesn't match up to the content. The title and description make it seem like the book is devoted to "Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love." In reality, it's a book on child development that just happens to include some games you can play to help enhance their development at each stage.

The book is broken up into informational chapters, with 1-2 pages of games listed at the end of each chapter. There's a list of all the games in the back of the
Alisha Bennett
Dec 28, 2015 Alisha Bennett rated it liked it
This book was hard to rate. On the one hand; there was some interesting information as well as games and suggestions for how to implement activities with your little one. On the other hand, I often felt talked down to and as if my entire baby's future hung on whether I played a certain block game with her. Overall, a good read, but should definitely be taken with a modicum of common sense as well as the realization that as parents we cannot and should not spend every waking second making sure li ...more
Lindsey
Aug 08, 2008 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
This was basically a review of things I learned in Child Dev. classes, but I really enjoyed it (it's a quick read)! It talks about current research in an easy to understand way and then gives a lot of practical, inexpensive ideas to help your child realize his or her potential based on the research. I would recommend it to any parent of an infant (the tips are for birth to age three).
Tauna
Oct 29, 2008 Tauna rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting-books
This has some good information about different activities you can do with your child for different developmental areas. The format of the book was a little irritating to me but some might like it- a news flash anecdote, research data, and then practical steps. The best thing about it is that pointers are provided for applying the ideas to the different age ranges.
Chris
Jun 15, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
Most of it is pretty simple and self explanatory, but there were some really good ideas for little games you can play, broken down by age (Birth-6 mo, 6+ mo, 12+ mo, 24+ mo, etc). All of those are recapped on the final 5 pages of the book. If I had it to do again, I would have skipped the book and read the last five pages.
Rosa
Nov 07, 2008 Rosa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Love, Love, Love IT! I can't refer to this book enough. I'm always looking for new games and activities to engage my children in and this book is filled with them. I have tabs all through it and refer to it all the time (literally, almost every day) for ideas on what to play with my children.
Tessie
Dec 08, 2008 Tessie rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. I felt like it had a lot of fluff, and she could have gotten to the point quicker. But it had some fun suggestions on things you can start teaching your toddler. If anything, they're some fun cheap games to play to keep them entertained.
Doris
Aug 17, 2007 Doris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book has some pretty good ideas on what to do to enhance your child's mental development and keep them entertained. My daughter loves playing the game where you tie a string to her foot and then to a mobile and has to kicks to make the mobile move.
Gail
Jan 19, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I really like this book. It is nice to see activities that relate to all the child development/psychology studies I read about in school. They are easy to do activities that often are slight variations on things you would be doing already.

Kim
Jan 07, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book. It goes into detail about the development of a baby's mind and why certain "games" are useful to play at certain ages. Very informative!
AJ Conroy
May 13, 2010 AJ Conroy rated it liked it
The title is mis-leading in that there aren't actually games, but the book is helpful in describing a baby's mental development and how parents can foster that growth.
Lucy Bilik
Sep 12, 2012 Lucy Bilik rated it really liked it
Great book for baby mind development assistance. Love suggestion of the games and activities to do with your baby. Would recommend this to parents of curious babies.
kristy
Apr 20, 2009 kristy rated it liked it
Good tips on how to get your baby's brain active. What bothered me was this sense that you have to be neurotically teaching your baby nonstop.
Jocelyn
Jan 25, 2008 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Awesome ideas for interacting with your child...very fun ways to increase learning opportunities with your baby/toddler.
Betty
Apr 27, 2008 Betty rated it really liked it
Easy to read and full of practical development activities. Quite a lot of overlap with Baby Signs though.
Lisa
Jun 14, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
A few of the suggested games seem ludicrous to me, but I like most of it. It's a good reference.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2008 Andrea added it
Shelves: baby-books
I learned different games and activities to do with my son based on his age and development.
Megan
Apr 27, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
Basically this book just confirmed that I'm doing everything right thus far. Whoop!
Sara Waldrip
Dec 04, 2010 Sara Waldrip rated it it was amazing
Loved it, lots of games to explore with my lo. It's a great book for geeky parents.
Shelley White-corey
Jun 05, 2012 Shelley White-corey rated it it was amazing
Did you know that babies start learning in utero? This book will blow YOUR mind!
Christine Turner
Oct 27, 2010 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Focus on ages and stages of development and what to do at each stage.
Beth
Sep 24, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Also great ideas for playing with baby right from the start!
Melissa Bader
Aug 20, 2013 Melissa Bader rated it really liked it
Lots of ideas. Information on research studies. Informative.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Baby Hearts: A Guide to Giving Your Child an Emotional Head Start
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler
  • Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family