Start by marking “Police Your Planet” as Want to Read:
Police Your Planet
read book* *Different edition

Police Your Planet

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Of all the cities on all the planets of the Solar System, Marsport was the most corrupt. So when one-time prize-fighter, cop, and reporter, Bruce Gordon ends up with a one way ticket to Mars, it was only natural that he would find himself walking a beat collecting graft like the rest of the force. Just trying to survive, he finds himself caught in the middle between two ri ...more
Published January 5th 1978 by New English Library (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Police Your Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Police Your Planet

Bryce Beattie
Very amusing pulp scifi.

Our hero gets shipped off earth to Mars with a "yellow ticket" meaning he can't return. He tries to make a life for himself in the super corrupt city of Marsport. He's not a squeeky clean good guy by any means.

The action is plentiful. The "love story" made me roll my eyes in a good way. I mean, come on, our hero sees a brassy blonde twice in crowds and then she tries to kill him. How could they not be destined to hook up?

Again this is pulp, so it's not going to be terribl
D.w.
This is a classic of Science Fiction.

More people of course who profess the love of Science Fiction need to search out and read such classics. It explains how we got to what is currently read. It shows the forms and precepts that got us to this point.

Del Rey of course is a master and later in life became a well known editor with his own imprint of books. The story deals with not just the idea of Mars and what we might expect if we ever get there. It deals with man and how man reacts to the situ
Brad Wheeler
I picked this one up in a "5 for $20" bin of paperbacks at Chicon 7. Partially, I was amused because the super-70s cover credits two authors who happen to be the same person. Partially, I read a sample on Amazon years ago and was interested.

So, it was okay. For being written in the 50s, the way Mars was handled was easy enough to swallow (no little green men). The problem was that it wasn't necessary in the slightest.

The story is one of bureaucratic corruption. Everyone from the mayor on down th
Andrewcharles420
A Martian crime drama about a Terran exile who tries to work his way back to earth and respectability through the corrupt martian police forces. Gritty, sometimes clichéd. Men and women are both outlaws spurred without second thought to fighting each other in the streets... but once marriage is forced upon the one female character she becomes much more pleasantly disposed and domestic.

Many of the more interesting aspects of the novel were the least addressed: the politics of the Terran continen
Josiah
I was looking for what I call an "airplane book." That is, something that keeps your interest even as the person next to you is snoring, little kids are swinging from the armrests (true story) and is in fact so engrossing that the plane could be going down in flames and you would still be trying to finish the book. Ender's Game was my last airplane book and it didn't let me down. So when I found this during my trip, I thought, perfect, some 50's pulp to keep me distracted on the flight back.
Wron
Annette
Had trouble even finishing this one. The main character did not inspire any feelings of respect or even liking. There were Way too many additional characters that I could not begin to keep track of. The story line itself was so convoluted and involved so many sudden reverses, indistinguishable "sides," and the like that I could give you only the barest outline of what happened a few days after having finished it. In other words, not worth the time I spent reading it.
Thibaldo Manrique
A very good sample of 50's sci-fi

I enjoy the genera and this is an excellent example of the post war science fiction.

It has the characters and scenarios that made for great sci-fi after WW II. It has that rough and tumble story that makes heros out of misfits and has just the right amount of disrespect for the system that shows that the worst situations still can lead to a great ending.

Most enjoyable.
Mike McDevitt
I didn't like the characters, but then, I haven't read a lot of westerns or detective noir. It may be a common factor in those types of stories that deprived, careworn people on the suffering and poverty end of things are morally despicable to a man (or their female prisoners/wives, as the case may be).

Gordon is the protagonist, but I hated him throughout, Sheila at least I felt sorry for (her grandfather sold her to a gang?). I can't tell cops from robbers here and that seems to be the point.
AC
This book is great old school sci-fi, and really I think the most interesting story set on a future terraformed Mars ever written. The book is very real and gritty, the story moves along, and there's a little of everything which makes it a fast read (I read it on a 10 hour flight to Hawaii). The book is less about the science and dynamics of Mars colonization/terraforming and really a more human story about the peoples who have settled there. Much better than Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars" ga ...more
David Finney
A yellow ticket, a bad attitude and a chip on his shoulder. This is a dystopian view of life on Mars and the struggles of Gordon to overcome his better nature.
Tracey
Felt very of its time - very "pulp" - combination of frontier/film noir atmosphere - characters were somewhat one-dimensional, yet had some quirks. Standard "domed city" environment with local gov't taken over by graft & corruption. Reluctant hero etc etc...

Heinleinesque - but not quite up to Robert's talent level.

If you're into SF from this time, it's worth a library or free e-text read - I think I got my copy from either ManyBooks.net or BookGlutton.com
Diane
Not enough science fiction for me; besides the fact that it's set on another planet. Mars I think, can't remember.
Arthur
Awesome science-fiction. Del Rey uses scientific, policing matters, narration and discusses upcoming political avenues all in leaps for a possible future of anger, of depression and human waste, also of those opposing forces of crime infestation among planets in our solar system after they are settlements. Fast read and very possibly a spooky take of our near future.
Thorn
three stars for the 'fun' factor. reminiscent of harry harrison's 'stainless steel rat' series, but the writing is a little better (except for when it's not :) ). very light fare. loved the *lack* of technology in this futuristic pulpish narrative. (hint: they're on *mars*, and there are *still* no flying cars!)
Tony
Wasn't bad for a free Kindle book, almost rated it a 3. Good old dime novel 1950's-style science fiction. Wild west frontier story, crossed with Gangs of New York, set on Mars.
Paul
Amusing pulp. I was tired when I read it; if I had been more awake, might have been bored.
Keith Davis
A fun SF adventure set on Mars, nothing profound here.
bluetyson
Police Your Planet by Lester Del Rey (2000)
Peter
Entertaining but a bit dated now
Ricardo Portella
Ricardo Portella marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Tobias Cooper
Tobias Cooper marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Dr. Daniel
Dr. Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Colors of Space
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • The False Mirror (The Damned, #2)
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Godspeed
  • Children No More (Jon & Lobo, #4)
  • First Flight (Nicole Shea, #1)
  • The Black Star Passes
  • The Alchemist's Pursuit (The Alchemist, #3)
  • West Of Honor
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Time's Edge (Time's Edge, #1)
  • The Terro-Human Future History Omnibus
19739
Lester del Rey (June 2, 1915 – May 10, 1993) was an American science fiction author and editor. Del Rey is especially famous for his juvenile novels such as those which are part of the Winston Science Fiction series, and for Del Rey Books, the fantasy and science fiction branch of Ballantine Books edited by Lester del Rey and his fourth wife Judy-Lynn del Rey.

aka Philip St. John
aka Eric van Lihn
ak
More about Lester del Rey...
The Runaway Robot Tunnel Through Time Once Upon a Time Nerves Badge of Infamy