Start by marking “Balaclava 1854: The Charge of the Light Brigade” as Want to Read:
Balaclava 1854: The Charge of the Light Brigade

Balaclava 1854: The Charge of the Light Brigade (Campaign #6)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The port of Balaclava was crucial in maintaining the supply lines for the Allied siege of Sevastapol. The Russian attack on it on 25th October 1854 therefore posed a major threat to the survival of the Allied cause. The battle took place in four stages, first of which was the successful Russian attack on the redoubts of Balaclava. This was followed by the action of "the th ...more
Published February 28th 2005 by Praeger Publishers (first published September 27th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Balaclava 1854, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balaclava 1854

Marcus
Not much to say about this one, it's another Osprey Campaign book - if you have read one, you know what to expect from the rest. If there's anything special about this book, then it's the fact that it doesn't focus entirely on the famous and ill-fated Charge of the Light Brigade, but gives equal space to the rest of the battle. I'm not all that familiar with military history between 1816 and 1914 and I found this one rather usefull in filling a small hole in my knowledge of military history.
Yago de Artaza Paramo
When I picked this book I could not forget about Errol Flynn's movie "The charge of the light brigade" and I had great memories of it while reading the great description of the battle phases by Sweetman. Well done book, not too short not too long, not only describes the battle phases in great detail but it also touches on the British officers careers and area providing a good enviroment to the readers enjoyement.
Frédéric
Nice book. Somewhat quick to criticize France in the introduction though. I reckon we froggies do not share this point of view. I guess old enmities die hard... Nevertheless the battle itself is clearly explained and worth reading.
Kimberly Mori
Kimberly Mori marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
John somers
John somers marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Marvin Bjornstad
Marvin Bjornstad marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Darren
Darren added it
Jan 24, 2013
Dbx
Dbx added it
Jan 12, 2013
Rasmus Franck
Rasmus Franck marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2011
John
John added it
Jul 30, 2010

Campaign (1 - 10 of 266 books)
  • Normandy 1944: Allied Landings and Breakout (Osprey Military Campaign)
  • Austerlitz 1805: Battle of the Three Emperors (Campaign)
  • France 1940: Blitzkrieg in the West
  • Tet Offensive 1968: Turning Point in Vietnam
  • Ardennes 1944: Hitler's Last Gamble in the West (Campaign)
  • Alexander 334-323 BC: Conquest of the Persian Empire
  • Gallipoli 1915: Frontal assault on Turkey
  • Agincourt 1415: Triumph against the odds
  • First Bull Run 1861: The South's First Victory
  • Kaiserschlacht 1918: The Final German Offensive
The Crimean War: 1854-1856 Dambusters Raid The Dambusters Bomber Crew: Taking On the Reich Schweinfurt: Disaster In The Skies:  (Ballantine's Illustrated History of the Violent Century: Campaign Book #17)