Start by marking “Balaclava 1854: The Charge of the Light Brigade” as Want to Read:
Balaclava 1854: The Charge of the Light Brigade

Balaclava 1854: The Charge of the Light Brigade (Campaign #6)

The port of Balaclava was crucial in maintaining the supply lines for the Allied siege of Sevastapol. The Russian attack on it on 25th October 1854 therefore posed a major threat to the survival of the Allied cause. The battle took place in four stages, first of which was the successful Russian attack on the redoubts of Balaclava. This was followed by the action of "the th ...more
Published February 28th 2005 by Praeger Publishers (first published September 27th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Balaclava 1854, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balaclava 1854

Evan
Whenever I see or hear the name, "Balaclava," I can't but help see in my mind the magnificent, stentorian actor C. Aubrey Smith as an old Brit warrior, blustering in senile fashion, boasting over and over about his Crimean War heroics to much eye-rolling ("there 'e goes again") in the glorious 1939 British movie version of The Four Feathers.

Grabbing at a fruit bowl in the drawing room, the old soldier eagerly reproduces the layout of the battle on the tabletop with various produce and nuts. He,
Matthew Dambro
Nov 08, 2016 Matthew Dambro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent little monograph about a series of actions in the Crimean war. It is standard Osprey fare, clear, concise and with beautiful maps to accurately describe a series of confusing actions on 25OCT1854. It is absolutely the place to begin any serious study of the "Charge".
Marcus
Aug 29, 2011 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say about this one, it's another Osprey Campaign book - if you have read one, you know what to expect from the rest. If there's anything special about this book, then it's the fact that it doesn't focus entirely on the famous and ill-fated Charge of the Light Brigade, but gives equal space to the rest of the battle. I'm not all that familiar with military history between 1816 and 1914 and I found this one rather usefull in filling a small hole in my knowledge of military history.
Yago de Artaza Paramo
Jul 27, 2011 Yago de Artaza Paramo rated it really liked it
Shelves: war
When I picked this book I could not forget about Errol Flynn's movie "The charge of the light brigade" and I had great memories of it while reading the great description of the battle phases by Sweetman. Well done book, not too short not too long, not only describes the battle phases in great detail but it also touches on the British officers careers and area providing a good enviroment to the readers enjoyement.
Frédéric
Nice book. Somewhat quick to criticize France in the introduction though. I reckon we froggies do not share this point of view. I guess old enmities die hard... Nevertheless the battle itself is clearly explained and worth reading.
Joe Frankie
Mar 03, 2016 Joe Frankie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of the time and location as major players. It is a great place to start and well-illustrated.
James Dalziel
James Dalziel rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Gianmaria Mariotti
Gianmaria Mariotti rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
JZ Temple
JZ Temple rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2007
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
William Paley
William Paley rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Hora
Hora rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Owen
Owen rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Pablo
Pablo rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Jon Klug
Jon Klug rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2012
John
John added it
Jul 30, 2010
Rasmus Franck
Rasmus Franck marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2011
Dbx
Dbx added it
Jan 12, 2013
Darren
Darren added it
Jan 24, 2013
Marvin Bjornstad
Marvin Bjornstad marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
John somers
John somers marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Kimberly Mori
Kimberly Mori marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Alley
Alley added it
Jan 15, 2016
Zac Vance
Zac Vance marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Gary
Gary added it
Mar 10, 2016
Steelwhisper
Steelwhisper marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Keolsige
Keolsige marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Kyle Cisco
Kyle Cisco marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Declan Waters
Declan Waters marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2016
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2016

Campaign (1 - 10 of 266 books)
  • Normandy 1944: Allied Landings and Breakout (Osprey Military Campaign)
  • Austerlitz 1805: Battle of the Three Emperors
  • France 1940: Blitzkrieg in the West
  • Tet Offensive 1968: Turning point in Vietnam
  • Ardennes 1944: Hitler's Last Gamble in the West (Campaign)
  • Alexander 334–323 BC: Conquest of the Persian Empire