Start by marking “Light Brigade” as Want to Read:
Light Brigade

Light Brigade

There's a war in heaven and Earth is the battleground in this original supernatural action adventure/horror story set during World War II.

This epic tale revolves around a ragtag squad of U.S. soldiers that must recover the mysterious Sword of God, a heavenly artifact coveted by angels and demons, before the descendants of fallen angels disguised as Nazis. If they aren't s
Published December 20th 2005 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Light Brigade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light Brigade

Artur Coelho
Um comic divertido, com uma premissa curiosa, que mistura a visão mítica da II Guerra com a tradição cristã mais esotérica. Assenta numa técnica narrativa fantástica. Com um ritmo marcado, o argumento de Peter Tomasi oscila entre acção pura e imparável, momentos de infodump e os encadeadores necessários para cimentar o mundo ficcional da série. Tanto toca na mitologia judaico-cristã como nos dramas reais e históricos da guerra, e brindando-nos com mimos como soldados zombies de guerras de antanh ...more
Jean-christophe Boudreau
May 21, 2014 Jean-christophe Boudreau rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was one of my most favorite reads of all time, the story was just really well told and the artwork was wonderful in conveying the emotions of whatever was happening in different places in the graphic novel. The color in the artwork is one of the major things that helps to convey the emotions of a scene as I mentioned above, the story deals with one American solider during world war two who is trying to get home to his orphaned son but is suddenly forced to save the world from ...more
Sheika Burgin
May 16, 2014 Sheika Burgin rated it really liked it
This was such an unexpected success in my eyes. I don't usually find myself reading comics or graphic novels. I initially turned the first page after having this loaned book sit in my bookshelf for about a year. My reason for cracking it open was to find inspiration for a special effects project. I had no idea I was going to enjoy this so much. The connection between the author's dedication and the main character's letter in the foxhole created an eerie sense of realism. After the foxhole scene ...more
Peter  Younghusband
Sep 06, 2015 Peter Younghusband rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A fast paced suspenseful, supernatural conflict of good versus evil, angel versus demon, an immortal Roman centurion, supernaturally powered artifacts, the Grigori and Nephilim exacting their revenge against God, set against the backdrop of WWII.

Full review:

Tazitazitazi
Sep 29, 2011 Tazitazitazi rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Ovaj akcijski strip ima izvrsno kadriranje sličica na stranici, a sličice same pričaju priču (što je kvaliteta stripa koju iznimno cijenim) te je dobro koloriran. Mogla bih reči da kvaliteta crteža nadilazi kvalitetu priče koja je dobro opisana na samim koricama: ''U nebu se vodi borba, a zemlja je borilište''. Osobito su mi se dopale tipično američke dosjetke riječima kakvima obiluje film ''Prljavi igraju prljavo'' ili u originalu ''The last boy scout''. Obzirom da priča nudi alternativnu/paral ...more
Juho Salo
Oct 30, 2015 Juho Salo rated it really liked it
A bunch of soldiers in the waning days of World War 2 stumble to the middle of heavenly war. The characters are well developed and the writer successfully makes me care about their fates - a feat in comic books. Interesting premise and a great art, this book does something special.
Francisco Becerra
Interesting ideas, mostly taken from gnostic manuscrips, in special the Book of Jubilees. The plot is very straightforward, very well drawn, with a lot of plot holes and poor character development. It could have been better plotted.
Sean Goh
Jan 19, 2014 Sean Goh rated it liked it
Hard to tell the characters apart a lot of the times (the baseball one, the one in glasses, the toilet paper one, the comic book geek, etc)

But Chris's character development was quite well done, also the centurion's extremely long quest for rest.
Fans of supernatural soldier stories will dig this.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
Very good WWII comic blending the supernatural and mystic. Good art and writing. Very recommended
Timo
Dec 16, 2014 Timo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Kaunista ja tehokasta selkeää viivaa, mutta kun tarina on tympeä uskonnolla hölmöilevä pökäle, niin ei vain jaksa.
José Torres
Mar 11, 2016 José Torres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it on bookstore just to discover that i must have it!
Matt Piechocinski
Sep 23, 2014 Matt Piechocinski rated it it was ok
Lots of potential, failed execution.
Printable Tire
Aug 09, 2010 Printable Tire rated it really liked it
This story probably wouldn't hold up to a critical eye but I myself found it exciting and enthralling. The artist has a real talent at giving people these impending doom/in awe of horror eyes. My only complaints are how dualistic the good v evil line was (the villains are essentially the classical paranoiac Enemy) and how all the GIs looks alike, making it very difficult at times to tell characters apart. But I think both these flaws are somewhat intentional. Would make a popular gore movie.
Ryan
Oct 30, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it
Meh. In the right hands, the concept (angels direct a group of WWII soldiers to fight off a fallen angel who, with the help of some Nephilim, wants to steal the sword of heaven) could have been amazing. As it was, it was okay enough to read to pass the time, but I'm really glad I got it out of the library rather than buying it myself.

One thing that really bothered me: what group of soldiers would voluntarily name themselves "The Light Brigade"? I can't see that happening.
Sharon
Jan 21, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Not a fan of war comics, gore, or religious fiction. I am a fan of good storytelling, and this is it. Classic good vs. evil.

I have to agree with other reviewers... sometimes it was hard to tell the characters apart, and the good guys from the bad. That's my only beef with the art, however. Otherwise it was great and helped propel the story forward. There are a couple of panels where the facial expressions speak volumes.

A good read.
Doreen
Mar 21, 2014 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snapshot
3/20/14 Review tk.

3/21/14 http://www.iwantmytwodollars.com/2014...
Zed Yeo
Dec 09, 2013 Zed Yeo rated it it was amazing
Some of the dialogue was poetic. The characters were memorable, despite how short the book was. Panelling was fantastic, and the artist makes good use of shadows.

Premise is nothing new, but it's nicely executed and the title, well it certainly gets you charged!

I'd say, charge on, read the light brigade. Best new comic I've read this year.
(Friend just pointed out it's published in 2005, so it's not new, but it's still great!)
Sinai C.
Apr 16, 2011 Sinai C. rated it it was amazing
I actually thought that this was going to be over the top blasphemous, but even if this was meant to be, I actually wanted to pray when I read this book. It was really touching to see the soldiers grow in their faith. It was funny, heart-warming, very explicit graphics, but I mean, the story for me, was the best part. Definitely recommending this to people.
Mike Montesa
Mar 09, 2008 Mike Montesa rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fun, fast story that falls into the "Weird War" genre of comic books. A squad of American soldiers is cut off behind the lines during the Battle of the Bulge in WW2 and ends up helping an Angel fight the forces of darkness (naturally comprising a battalion of Nazi troops). Band of Brothers crossed with In Nomine. Awesome!
Ketan Shah
Sits comfortably between Saving Private Ryan and the Prophecy. A group of World War 2 GI's become weapons in a war between renegade angels and the forces of Heaven. Strong story ,good art and a fast pace ensure that this title doesn't wear out its welcome.Fans of Hellboy would probably enjoy this.
Joe
Sep 10, 2010 Joe rated it liked it
I thought this was fairly well done, but even though it's about angels, it's still basically a superhero book, and a pretty standard one. Powerful people beat up on each other, etc. etc.
Dru
A world war 2 story with angels, rebel angels, nazis, and zombies seems pretty sweet. I wasn't wild about this after I read it, but it's a solid story with solid art.
Jasmiina F
Apr 26, 2013 Jasmiina F rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I liked the characters a lot, but I'm just not interested comics about wars and the whole angel thing seemed to come pretty sudden.
Mark Shainblum
Feb 08, 2013 Mark Shainblum rated it it was ok
Okay. Nicely illustrated, professionally and competently written, but I felt I'd seen it all before.
Michael Grills
Aug 17, 2015 Michael Grills rated it really liked it
This is fantastic.

Everything from reworking the Christian Myth, to the great battles and amazing art.

Trevor
Nov 08, 2007 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Pulled this off the shelf at the library on a whim -- just had a good feeling about this one...FANTASTIC!
Jonah
Apr 13, 2011 Jonah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
i really liked it as a graphic novel the story was grate and it was based off of a real idea.
Peacegal
Nov 11, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
This book boasted some great artwork, but the religious theme of the story didn't really grab me.
Ernest
Jul 05, 2012 Ernest rated it liked it
Tale of a battle between angelic factions with World War II as the backdrop. Epic story.
Trebro
  • Finder: Dream Sequence
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 1
  • Boneyard, Volume 1: In Full Color
  • Lazarus: The First Collection
  • Batman: Vengeance of Bane (Batman: Vengeance of Bane, #1)
  • Cosmic Odyssey
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 5: Lone Goat and Kid (Usagi Yojimbo, #5)
  • Wonder Woman: The Complete History
  • Justice League of America: Another Nail
  • The Losers, Vol. 3: Trifecta
  • Star Wars: Legacy II, Vol. 1: Prisoner of the Floating World
  • Jsa: The Golden Age
  • JSA, Vol. 8: Black Reign
  • Batman: Nosferatu
Peter J. Tomasi is an American comic book writer, best known for his work for DC Comics.
More about Peter J. Tomasi...