Start by marking “Crossing Midnight, Vol. 3: The Sword in the Soul” as Want to Read:
Crossing Midnight, Vol. 3: The Sword in the Soul

Crossing Midnight, Vol. 3: The Sword in the Soul (Crossing Midnight #3)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Toshi and Kai lead the kami armies into battle, but it may take more to determine the fate of the twins. This final volume collects issues #13-19 of the series Publishers Weekly called "solid, entertaining and brilliantly executed."
Published October 28th 2008 by Vertigo (first published October 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Midnight, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Midnight, Vol. 3

Kathryn
Jul 29, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Carey did a great job wrapping up this too short series. Kai and Toshi find themselves on opposite sides of a battle on the spirit realm. The panels of the fighting were fascinating and beautiful, if maybe not quite as detailed as I think they could have been. But this is part of the beauty of this series. The art is very clean and clear, the colors bright, and the characters wonderfully and convincingly represented. I loved the ending, which was surprising in some ways. I saw it coming but I di ...more
Jen
Nov 16, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
The third book in the Crossing Midnight series - also gorgeous and compelling. In this one, the siblings end up fighting on two different sides of a war in the spirit world. This is really the story of the war planning, and it is revealed why Kai and Toshi, seemingly normal human chldren, were born with their unique abilities. And Kai tries to save Hasharito (aka Toshi) from herself. The ending of this book is kind of sad, but hopeful too - Toshi has come back to herself and shed the Hasharito i ...more
Sudipta Saha
Jan 01, 2014 Sudipta Saha rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that the build-up of the series took two volumes of strewn, disorganized circumstances, Mike Carey came up with an exceptionally good final volume. All the jumbled up pieces fit perfectly together and the broader picture became more lucid. The writer could have taken up a few more volumes since the span of the book is relatively large and the concepts in the preceding volumes could have undergone further elucidation.
Tiamat_the_red
Jan 14, 2012 Tiamat_the_red rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this but I felt like there were still some loose ends. I'm going to get into spoilers, so beware.

*SPOILERS*
So one thing that bothered me about this last book is the implication that them having been born on opposite sides of midnight is important. It's strongly implied, but then there doesn't seem to be any followthrough. Maybe I'm missing something. It could be that the eldest twin is born the day before the "protection" begins and the second twin is born during it but why wouldn't it
David
May 20, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Waaaaauuuuuuggh!!!

That's what I shouted when I came to the end of "Crossing Midnight: Cut Here". Because it was only volume ONE of a story-arc that cuts (no pun intended) through several graphic novels- "The Sword In The Soul" was no exception, either! Amazing, Spectacular, and EXCELLENT ending, as well!!

I had to read them all, as soon as I started them!

Yes, HAD TO.

This story was REALLY well written, amazingly illustrated, and it carried me forward through the storyline with surprising ease. I w
Elizabeth A
Jun 22, 2015 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015
This final volume in the series collects issues #13-19.

Kai is trying to find and save her his sister, but Toshi has had her memories erased, and has a new assignment - kill Kai. You just know this is not going to end well. We learn more about the backstory about how the twins are the way they are, and I loved the explanation. War is inevitable, and this is a fun and satisfying conclusion to this graphic novel series.
Stacie
Jan 13, 2016 Stacie rated it liked it
The story ended kind of sad, Toshi was annoying, wanted to slap her. The background story of how the debt/ family came to be was uninspiring. But still a fun read.
Amanda
Feb 11, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
While I liked this series overall, I felt like the author was asking the reader to remember a lot of smaller details and names in order to fully appreciate the story.
Cale
Jun 08, 2015 Cale rated it liked it
Shelves: default
This volume ends the series and it feels like the overall story was significantly abbreviated. Still, even with the quickened pace, the climax is surprising and effective. Although the opponents are only sketched in, the conflict between the twins takes center. Secondary characters from the previous volumes reappear to up the stakes and play surprising roles, and the final conclusion, while leaving an opening for future stories, closes the book on the original concept in a satisfying manner. It ...more
D.
May 31, 2014 D. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Another tragedy? Maybe this is why I haven't been reading so much lately.
That said, a widely cast net of disparate characters finally gathered together to reach an acceptable conclusion. Room is left to continue the stories of Kai and Toshi Hara, but I will leave them be.
Lara
Jul 05, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
I really liked this series a lot in the end--pretty compelling characters, lots of violence, interesting mythology, a very fitting ending, and, of course, Sen the Superdog! Not all series this short manage to feel as full as this one does, but Carey managed admirably, and this one seemed just right. He's definitely becoming one of my favorite comic book writers.
Deborah
Apr 15, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Not my usual cup of tea: violence, fantasy. And yet, is it fantasy or legend, which I do like, and it is absolutely compelling. I have no idea what is going to happen next and I Love it! Plus the cliffhanger ending-I want more!
Peter
Oct 28, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it
A solid ending to a meandering story. Having gotten maybe just too far into an obscure mythos, it brings back the story to a satisfying ending. A great story for not having many pages in which to tell.
Alex
Feb 27, 2013 Alex rated it liked it
Oh man, so good, but the ending felt rushed. maybe vertigo said wrap it up or we cancel, I feel like there was another volume in here. I could be wrong but it really felt rushed.
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 25, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
A fine conclusion to the series. It didn't offer as interesting of a blend between the modern day and the fantastic as previous volumes, but it was still very enjoyable.
Loyd
Mar 30, 2009 Loyd rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great addition to the series. I love the mix of the physical and metaphysical, the real world and shadow lands that Carey achieves in these books.
Sonic
Nov 22, 2013 Sonic rated it it was amazing
Excellent story that is rich with Japanese mythology and brought to life with superb first-rate art!
Lauri
May 05, 2013 Lauri rated it it was amazing
19 osa pikkuseks see suurepärane jaapani vaimumaailmast rääkiv sari jäigi. Aitäh, ameerika idioodid...
Simone
Jul 26, 2011 Simone rated it really liked it
The story is grabbing and the art beautiful. I feel the ending is a little abrupt, though.
Marc
Jan 18, 2011 Marc rated it liked it
Listen to my review on V for Vertigo, Episode 89 at http://vforvertigo.blogspot.com or on iTunes.
Kerry
Jan 24, 2009 Kerry rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, I just couldn't get into this and then I realized it was actually volume 3!
Devowasright
Aug 09, 2009 Devowasright rated it really liked it
isn't this actually called the sword in the soul?
Giuseppe-Ion Andrei
Giuseppe-Ion Andrei marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Aldi
Aldi rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Aravind
Aravind marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
sedat  nezerli
sedat nezerli marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Draško Roganović
Draško Roganović rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Yair
Yair rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 5: Under New Management
  • Proof, Volume 1: Goatsucker
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 5: Dangerous Habits (Hellblazer New Edition, #5)
  • Dark Entries
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • Fathom : Blue Sun (v1 n1)
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 4: The Family Man (Hellblazer New Edition, #4)
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 4: The Hypothetical Woman
  • Iron Man Noir
  • Heathentown
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

Crossing Midnight (3 books)
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here