Start by marking “Blue Monday Volume 1: The Kids Are Alright” as Want to Read:
Blue Monday Volume 1: The Kids Are Alright

Blue Monday Volume 1: The Kids Are Alright (Blue Monday #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  655 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Being a teenager can be a difficult job, something the adult world can never understand. While to her parents and teachers getting Adam Ant tickets is no big deal, to Bleu L. Finnegan it means everything. This could be the defining moment of her life, and there is no guarantee that she will ever achieve it. On the way, Bleu must deal with the travails of adolescence - from ...more
Published February 13th 2007 by Oni Press (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Monday Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Monday Volume 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
396th out of 2,246 books — 5,271 voters
Smile by Raina TelgemeierDrama by Raina TelgemeierIn Real Life by Cory DoctorowAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Comics for Teen Girls (that are NOT Japanese manga)
50th out of 229 books — 158 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan
While the story is officially set in the high-school milieu of the early 1990s, its protagonists appear to be stuck in the early 1980s for some reason. The title "Blue Monday" is an homage to the (obviously completely awesome!) New Order hit from 1983, main character Bleu is a huge fan of new wave icon Adam Ant, and the mod revival of the same period finds expression in almost everybody's wardrobe ("The Kids Are Alright" is also the title of the Who's original mid-60s mod anthem, of course).

Why
Soobie's heartbroken
Well, I really didn't like this one.

The art was somehow OK but the characters were unpleasant. I didn't like any of them. The idea of egging or throwing toilet paper on a tree as a retaliation... That's not a funny way to keep the story going.

Apart from the musical references, I didn't have the feeling that we were in the early 1990s.

There was a lot of text in the panels but the things that were written were... let's say very boring! And I couldn't understand why the author used such a weird spe
McKenzie Richardson
Garbage. Complete garbage.After reading the Hopeless Savages Volume 1 series, I figured I'd give more of Clugston's work a try. And oh my gosh was that a mistake. The artwork was fine when not depicting teenage girls in their undergarments or wearing shirts that show off their balloon-breasts. But the dialog and the story... what the hell?!?First of all, I could not figure out if Victor and Alan were friends or just guys who follow the main characters around and sexually harass them. The whole ...more
Mel
Dec 10, 2012 Mel rated it it was ok
A friend recommended this when I was looking for graphic novels written or drawn by women. Unfortuantely I really didn't care for it at all. It was taking the 80s troupe of high school girls and making them into Brit pop and post punk 80s music. But it was just SO suburban American and the kids were so straight laced it hurt! The first three adventures were basically rock and roll high school retold and cleaned up! The young 15 year old, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and definitely doesn't have s ...more
Mina Addams
Aug 20, 2013 Mina Addams rated it it was amazing
The most perfect series in existence.
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
This graphic novel was too realistic for me, which for some might be a selling point but I just couldn’t relate. The gist of the plot is that a teenage girl named Bleu is trying to win Adam Ant tickets off the radio. I had a twitch of nostalgia with the 80s setting - Bleu actually has to use a land line or a pay phone when she calls the radio. Bleu’s trio of girlfriends play pranks on their trio of friends who are boys. I feel like I should like it – it’s got some great girl power moments in it, ...more
Ashke
Dec 20, 2011 Ashke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you took one part 80's nostalgia, one part britpop, and mixed it with equals parts John Hughes, you'd come up with something like Blue Monday. This is one third of what makes Chynna Clugston's take on the typical coming of age tale unique, the other part being her cartoonish/mangaish yet detailed art, and the finishing touch crowned as it being downright bizarre and raunchy 90 percent of the time. Which makes it hilarious. This first volume has some growing pains, but the characters are stron ...more
Akemi
Oct 07, 2014 Akemi rated it it was amazing
If I have to choose a story to make a film about it where is music and people and a naive teenager who wants to begin life... I will choose Blue Monday, 90's Britpop a naive character that somehow remind me to myself when I was 17 or so and group of characters that makes you laugh and sometimes, cry
Peter
I've read and reread this one. I can't explain why I enjoy it, but I do. It's over-emotional, coarse, and hugs a lot of clichés, but for some reason I can sympathize with the characters and enjoy their hijinks.
Lindsay
Mar 19, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, owned-comics
Archie if Archie was the way kids really were (in the late eighties/mid nineties).
Honestly one of my favorite comics of this genre.
Ace.
Stacy Fetters
Mar 29, 2015 Stacy Fetters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stand And Deliva!
This was one of those books I stumbled upon on amazon late at nite. Clicked on the preview and fangirled the shit out of this. Ooohhh Loorrrdd! Adam Fookin' Ant!!!!!
Imagine having your idol in town and you tryin with all your might to win tickets. You fail... fail again and yet again fail... until Eureka its all yours. Squeal!!!
You make it and they wont let you in. No no no no no!!!
But some how you wind up meeting him and then getting a ride home. You have special weird luck. Sc
Bryce Wilson
Mar 11, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Look I'm going to be the first to admit that I'm not the target audience for this thing, and I'll also be the first to admit that it probably would have been alot cooler when Manga art in American comics was an incredible novelty rather then a horrible horrible cliche. (Truth in criticism it's done better here then it is by most)

Still Even if I was a sixteen year old punk girl with blue hair who was the first on her block to read Ranma 1/2 I still can't see myself being two incredibly impressed
Sara
Jul 07, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
A really great comic about teens in late '90s running about and causing trouble. Loved it mmm
Murray Fox
Sep 27, 2014 Murray Fox rated it it was amazing
Love this book so so soooooo much!
Tiamatty
Aug 20, 2014 Tiamatty rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, indie-comics
While this isn't a particularly outstanding book, it's still fun. The art is very manga-esque, so if that turns you off, it'll be a problem. The characters are fairly plain, but still have a sense of realness to them. All in all, it's an enjoyable, if forgettable, read.
Debbie
Oct 23, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it
Book one in the Blue Monday series.

Bleu Finnegan is obsessed with Adam Ant. When she hears that he will be performing in the city, she vows to do whatever it takes to win tickets. In the meantime, she and her friends play some nasty pranks on each other and Blue crushes on a hip substitute teacher. Will Blue succeed in meeting her idol or will all her efforts come to nothing after all?

Recommended for mature readers.
Terri
Oct 31, 2007 Terri rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people with good eyesight
I didn't realize this graphic novel was going to be done in the Japanese/anime style. I don't like that style of artwork, and the text in this book was super tiny that it gave me a headache. I read a few chapters into it and while the music references were fun, the story was really boring and pretty juevenile. Didn't finish this and giving up on it. Definitely won't be reading the other volumes.
M.
Mar 09, 2009 M. rated it liked it
I decided that it was time to get rid of these for lack of space, so I re-read them in preparation.

I was fairly obsessed with Blue Monday in high school, and it's fairly easy to see why: clever, attractive counter culture kids who have major obsessions & are into 30 y/o's instead of highschoolers. Pretty much pure escapism, but as such, it's not entirely vapid and highly enjoyable.
Matt Chic
Nov 30, 2008 Matt Chic rated it liked it
this was pretty fun. at first i only kind of dug it, but the more i got to know the characters the more i enjoyed it. and i liked the older short stories reprinted in the back too.

my main beef is the manga style-- which just isn't my thing. chynna's good at it, so that's no big deal, my eyes just wish they was looking at something else.
Kris
Sep 18, 2007 Kris rated it liked it
This was a graphic novel about a teenage girl obsessed with Adam Ant, drawn in an anime style. It was cute enough, but I didn't like it enough to pick up any of the others. I don't think I'm the target audience.
City of Villages
Oct 21, 2007 City of Villages rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was hooked on this series the moment Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon, Paul Weller and Adam Ant all wandered into a panel. I wish high school had been this good.
Kimikimi
Jun 28, 2013 Kimikimi rated it did not like it
I actually enjoyed this first volume, but the second volume was so problematic that it ruined my enjoyment of this one too.
scarlettraces
May 12, 2009 scarlettraces rated it really liked it
very cool and funny, and clearly something i should have read long ago.
Jacob
Shelves: graphic-novels, teen
Cute, fun 80's nostalgia
Joy Barr
Jun 10, 2008 Joy Barr rated it liked it
Archie for indie rock kids
Kerry
Dec 31, 2008 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I laughed out loud!
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 1
  • Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1
  • Ai Yori Aoshi Volume 2: v. 2
  • 12 Reasons Why I Love Her
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Wet Moon, Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon)
  • GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)
  • Teenagers from Mars