Blue Monday Volume 1: The Kids Are Alright

Blue Monday Volume 1: The Kids Are Alright (Blue Monday #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Being a teenager can be a difficult job, something the adult world can never understand. While to her parents and teachers getting Adam Ant tickets is no big deal, to Bleu L. Finnegan it means everything. This could be the defining moment of her life, and there is no guarantee that she will ever achieve it. On the way, Bleu must deal with the travails of adolescence - from...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Oni Press (first published December 8th 2000)

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
333rd out of 1,661 books — 3,975 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank MillerThe Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
500 Essential Graphic Novels
255th out of 603 books — 371 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
A friend recommended this when I was looking for graphic novels written or drawn by women. Unfortuantely I really didn't care for it at all. It was taking the 80s troupe of high school girls and making them into Brit pop and post punk 80s music. But it was just SO suburban American and the kids were so straight laced it hurt! The first three adventures were basically rock and roll high school retold and cleaned up! The young 15 year old, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and definitely doesn't have s...more
Elisabeth
Another series I had high hopes for, though the gratuious panty shot on the cover should have warned me away. It's mostly just crude jokes (many of which trivialize sexual harassment or are homophobic) and throwaway pop culture references. I don't mind pop culture being featured in a story if it's integrated in a way that makes sense (Phonogram does it quite well) but when they're nothing more than fill-in-the-blank throwaway lines, it's hard to keep reading with how hard my eyes roll.

I was expe...more
Peter
I've read and reread this one. I can't explain why I enjoy it, but I do. It's over-emotional, coarse, and hugs a lot of clichés, but for some reason I can sympathize with the characters and enjoy their hijinks.
Mina Addams
The most perfect series in existence.
Bryce Wilson
Look I'm going to be the first to admit that I'm not the target audience for this thing, and I'll also be the first to admit that it probably would have been alot cooler when Manga art in American comics was an incredible novelty rather then a horrible horrible cliche. (Truth in criticism it's done better here then it is by most)

Still Even if I was a sixteen year old punk girl with blue hair who was the first on her block to read Ranma 1/2 I still can't see myself being two incredibly impressed...more
Tiamatty
While this isn't a particularly outstanding book, it's still fun. The art is very manga-esque, so if that turns you off, it'll be a problem. The characters are fairly plain, but still have a sense of realness to them. All in all, it's an enjoyable, if forgettable, read.
Lindsay
Archie if Archie was the way kids really were (in the late eighties/mid nineties).
Honestly one of my favorite comics of this genre.
Ace.
Stephanie
This graphic novel was too realistic for me, which for some might be a selling point but I just couldn’t relate. The gist of the plot is that a teenage girl named Bleu is trying to win Adam Ant tickets off the radio. I had a twitch of nostalgia with the 80s setting - Bleu actually has to use a land line or a pay phone when she calls the radio. Bleu’s trio of girlfriends play pranks on their trio of friends who are boys. I feel like I should like it – it’s got some great girl power moments in it,...more
Sara
Jul 07, 2014 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
A really great comic about teens in late '90s running about and causing trouble. Loved it mmm
Ashke
If you took one part 80's nostalgia, one part britpop, and mixed it with equals parts John Hughes, you'd come up with something like Blue Monday. This is one third of what makes Chynna Clugston's take on the typical coming of age tale unique, the other part being her cartoonish/mangaish yet detailed art, and the finishing touch crowned as it being downright bizarre and raunchy 90 percent of the time. Which makes it hilarious. This first volume has some growing pains, but the characters are stron...more
Debbie
Book one in the Blue Monday series.

Bleu Finnegan is obsessed with Adam Ant. When she hears that he will be performing in the city, she vows to do whatever it takes to win tickets. In the meantime, she and her friends play some nasty pranks on each other and Blue crushes on a hip substitute teacher. Will Blue succeed in meeting her idol or will all her efforts come to nothing after all?

Recommended for mature readers.
Terri
Oct 31, 2007 Terri rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with good eyesight
I didn't realize this graphic novel was going to be done in the Japanese/anime style. I don't like that style of artwork, and the text in this book was super tiny that it gave me a headache. I read a few chapters into it and while the music references were fun, the story was really boring and pretty juevenile. Didn't finish this and giving up on it. Definitely won't be reading the other volumes.
M.
I decided that it was time to get rid of these for lack of space, so I re-read them in preparation.

I was fairly obsessed with Blue Monday in high school, and it's fairly easy to see why: clever, attractive counter culture kids who have major obsessions & are into 30 y/o's instead of highschoolers. Pretty much pure escapism, but as such, it's not entirely vapid and highly enjoyable.
Matt Chic
this was pretty fun. at first i only kind of dug it, but the more i got to know the characters the more i enjoyed it. and i liked the older short stories reprinted in the back too.

my main beef is the manga style-- which just isn't my thing. chynna's good at it, so that's no big deal, my eyes just wish they was looking at something else.
Kris
This was a graphic novel about a teenage girl obsessed with Adam Ant, drawn in an anime style. It was cute enough, but I didn't like it enough to pick up any of the others. I don't think I'm the target audience.
City of Villages
I was hooked on this series the moment Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon, Paul Weller and Adam Ant all wandered into a panel. I wish high school had been this good.
Kimikimi
I actually enjoyed this first volume, but the second volume was so problematic that it ruined my enjoyment of this one too.
scarlettraces
very cool and funny, and clearly something i should have read long ago.
Jacob
Jul 06, 2012 Jacob added it
awesome comic about punks and rudies in the 80s
Jenny Devildoll
Cute, fun 80's nostalgia
Joy Barr
Archie for indie rock kids
Kerry
I laughed out loud!
Nell
Nell marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kyla Blythe
Kyla Blythe marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
P
P marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 1
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 1
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • 12 Reasons Why I Love Her
  • Ai Yori Aoshi Volume 2: v. 2
  • GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)
  • Wet Moon, Volume 1: Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon)
  • Channel Zero
  • The Cat with a Really Big Head: And One Other Story That Isn't as Good
  • Whiteout
  • Gray Horses
  • Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Book 2
  • Fun with Milk and Cheese
  • Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1)
  • I Feel Sick #2
Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners Blue Monday Volume 3: Inbetween Days Blue Monday Volume 4: Painted Moon Scooter Girl Queen Bee