Start by marking “From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)” as Want to Read:
From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  11,635 ratings  ·  337 reviews
Verne's 1865 tale of a trip to the moon is (as you'd expect from Verne) great fun, even if bits of it now seem, in retrospect, a little strange. Our rocket ship gets shot out of a cannon? To the moon? Goodness! But in other ways it's full of eerie bits of business that turned out to be very near reality: he had the cost, when you adjust for inflation, almost exactly right. ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Aegypan (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about From the Earth to the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Earth to the Moon

Silvana
JHoon
Simple, but strange Newton's third law; if object A exerts a force on another object B, object B also exerts the same magnitude of force on object A. Perhaps this law is how rockets work. Jules Verne, before rocket was invented, seems to know this law probably but think a bit differently. The idea was making a gigantic cannon and shooting it to travel the moon. Maybe this idea looks absurd nowadays, but even as a modern person, I think this idea was remarkable.
The book is mostly about the "prep
Shuart24
I felt half tempted to start up a drinking game while I was reading this work of speculative fiction. Aware of the current state of spaceflight, I was fascinated by this fictional account of a time before the rocket had even been conceived of, much less been invented. Throughout the reading, I unconsciously tallied what Jules Verne got right and what he got wrong.

The premise of the book is that a club whose artillery hobby has been rendered irrelevant by the end of the Civil War seeks a new appl
Laini
I love a bit of Jules Verne, I love the fact that he wrote so long ago, but his novels still shock and surprise me despite the fact that I'm surrounded by technology he couldn't have dreamed of. What he wrote about, would have been considered implausable at the time, but now that we can look back, he was very accurate in what he imagined.

From the Earth to the Moon is a fabulous example of this for many reasons. It tells the story of the Baltimore Gun Club and a few of it's members, who having re
Pat
For whatever reason I thought Verne would be a cumbersome read. However, he writes quite beautifully, and this novel is certainly a page turner. The story mainly consists of rather technical descriptions of the journey and the construction of the apparatus used. As a result, I would expect this book to be rather polarizing. Being as I like that sort of thing, this is just very high quality science fiction.
Jenn
Fantastic, fictitious, scientific and educational. I was surprised by the narrative style the author chose to adopt for a story of such a genre, but it certainly added to its appeal.
Based on the synopsis I expected a bit more of an adventure story and less of a scientific endeavour explaining the foundation of how to travel into outer space. However, considering my scientific background and interest in astronomy, I was greatly intrigued by the mystery and fascination of the moon the author infus
Christian
Otra parada más en mi viaje particular en la obra de este maestro, Julio Verne. Tercer libro que leo siguiendo el orden de publicación.

No paro de asombrarme acerca de las cosas que escribió, en el tiempo en que las escribió. Esta mención merecía un párrafo aparte.

La historia, centrada en los miembros de un club de artilleros, que según mi punto de vista son mas científicos que simples diseñadores de armas. Vemos cómo este grupo, centrado en el ambiente de la guerra, necesita de un nuevo desafío
Alec Glazier
I thought that this was a phenomenal book. I thought that the concept was spectacular because Verne takes a very unknown setting: the moon, and creates a journey that will open up new things the world. The plot line was a bit distorted because there was a late climax in Part I when the Columbiad is launched. There is an extremely graduate fall of the falling action, as there is a unexpected "spike," as it would look like on the plot line at the end of Part II, when the Columbiad lands. Although ...more
Hal
It's difficult to try and rate or review a book that is so old and far removed from today's context, but I'll try to say a few words.

This book was a fun adventure with a playful spirit infused in the writing. If you read it out of context, with a critical eye as to plausibility, you may be sorely disappointed. The feeling of the book is not overly serious. Verne doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, as he pokes fun at American ingenuity and makes the main explorers members of a Gun Club.
Nalia
not at all the fairy tale I expected. but the two stars are completely subjective and only reflect my personal liking, although I realize it is a marvelous book for its time. deeply descriptive and scientific, recommended only for science lovers, not a children's book or fantasy.
Ian
What makes From the Earth to the Moon so enjoyable is it's sheer earnestness. Entire chapters are filled with debates about figures and equations. Verne loves to write about all the details of his little thought experiment. This is very clearly his fantasy, and had he the money, I could imagine him attempting something like this.

However, it ends abruptly. The entire thing is about the construction of the great cannon that will fire the explorers to the moon. After launching them, there's one ch
Benjamin Kahn
Not much of a story here. The Baltimore Gun Club decides to build a cannon to shoot a projectile to the moon and they do it. That's pretty much it. A lot of the book is taken up with scientific calculations for the projectile, myths and facts of the moon, and a debate on whether the moon has an atmosphere. The calculations for the projections are done in advance by the president of the gun club, who then takes several chapters letting the gun club debate the logistics while presenting them with ...more
Ash A
I did not like this book. There were parts of this book where I smiled, but I did not enjoy this book one bit. It dragged on with descriptions and facts (that were fictional), and I had my force myself to read it (I had to do an assignment for school. I literally had to skip paragraphs and pages, because it was so utterly boring, and I just could not hold an interest towards it. and there were no interesting characters, no real conflict/ plot of the book, other than building a cannon and a way t ...more
Ritchie
Usually i enjoy Jules Verne's work but i'm afraid From the Earth to the Moon just wasn't very good.

The first half of the book seems to be all Verne's workings on how a rocket could be fired to the moon using a giant cannon...

It just gets bogged down in too much detail: the development, the planning, the building by this time i just didnt care if the rocket would take off or not.

Kacey
There's just something special about classic literature. It has its own character and voice, and if you look you can find humor in unexpected places. Jules Verne is one of my favorite writers, and this little story was an exceptional read. I loved all the science and mathematics involved and was pleased to catch some humor weaved in the story.

Most of this story involves figuring out the how of going to the Moon: constructing the projectile, calculating what is needed and how much, gaining the fu
Red
jules fern was totaly out of place in france with his stories and choose the us as a refuge for this tale. was it a parody on the childish american culture in the eyes of europeans? was it parental care from european perspective? it must have been otherwise the tale never would have been turned into practice, apollo the musical.
Noha Basiouny

عجبتني أكتر من رواية جورج ويلز ، أي نعم المقارنة ما بينهم غير مجدية لأن الرواية دي محورها رحلة الوصول لسطح القمر (علي الرغم من أنهم ماوصلوش القمر أصلا ، دول عدوا من جنبه بس!) بس الكيفية نفسها عجبتني أكتر ، أما رواية ويلز بتحكي أكتر عن حياة المخلوقات القمرية فوق القمر مش عن الرحلة.

Vladdan Oc
Qué rico es leer un libro que fluye.

Personajes con bastante personalidad. Como siempre, Verne no nos decepciona por falta de detalles. Una obra perfecta para descansar de libros más pesados y tener una muy buena lectura y además, entretenida de paso.
Rody Atef
الكتاب دا مايتوصفش تحفــــــــــــــه
عقليه ما شاء الله :) يمكن حاليا الكلام دا عادي بس لما تعرف ان الروايه مكتوبه تقريبا قبل الطلوع للقمر ب 100 عام اكيد حاجه تانيه ^_^ وصفه و تخيله و بالارقام و المسافات
سحرتني و بجد حبتـــها من اجمل الرويات اللي قرأتها <3
Julio Thames
Quizás la idea nos parece absurda de hacer un viaje tan simple a luna simulando el disparo de una bala; sin embargo siempre fue un adelantado a su tiempo. Llena leer la obra, estilo literario fresco y claro. Otra gran aventura que recomiendo.
Kimberly
The book was okay. It wasn't my favourite Verne novel and I think that's because it was so short and the ending reminded me of the Sopranos when the screen just went black half way through a sentence and for that I gave it the 3 stars.
Budd
I found it to be quite dated. It isn't so much a story as it is a travel log. A travel log full of old superstitions and incorrect factual evidence on the moon. I am surprised there was not a discussion about what type of cheese it was made out of. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. Trying to imagine the living arrangement on the capsule is funny to me. I am sure there were multiple couches and fine chairs. Verne did not discuss how they used the bathroom, I kept waiting for that to come u ...more
Angel
Julio Verne, nos muestra una vez más el poder de su gran imaginación y me recuerda aquella famosa frase que se le atribuye a este autor "Solo imagina algo y alguien más lo convertirá en realidad"
Niles
I had heard people talk about this book, but had never taken the time to read it. Written in 1865, it is amazing that Verne got most of the science right. The main difference between the book and the actual moon shot some 100 years later was the placement of the propulsion system. The dialogue seems rather basic and the book is probably geared to more of a middle school type audience. The explanations of all the problems to be overcome and the discussions of the solutions became tedious at times ...more
Rosario Villamor
Verne's novel of an American gun club is both funny and informative. On one hand, he tries to do the necessary calculations of the escape velocity of the rocket, dimensions of the rocket, etc. On the other, he effortlessly tells the story with a bit of humour, including disputes between the gun club's president, Barbicane, and his old enemy, Captain Nicholl (who was actually doing the correct analysis and who was giving out the right information).

I found the story funny and ridiculous, but if I
Juan Bosco
Es imposible no contagiarse del entusiasmo, lleno de humor, que los personajes de Julio Verne tienen ante la posibilidad alcanzar a la Luna.
Krisney
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't believe I spent my 16 years of life without reading this. Ahh I'm going to read all of my dad's oldies, this book was one of his favorites when he was younger so It makes it more special to me, I love my dad and he is pure role model material. The science was one of the things that I loved the most about this book, the astronomy, the physics, it was so cool, and the whole concept was just hilarious and clever. Jules Verne rocks. Yes I said that, no regrets

Besides, thi
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Uno de los Puntales de la literatura de anticipación, con un Verne profético e imaginativo.
HTR.

De la tierra a la luna nos cuenta la historia de un sueño: extender las fronteras de los Estados Unidos, tanto, que sea fuera de la Tierra. Su protagonista, Barbicane, es un personaje seguro de sí mismo y que está decidido a hacer cualquier cosa con tal de hacer que todos los franceses y demás europeos -que le ven incapaz de cumplir la proeza de llegar a la Luna y hacerla americana- se traguen sus propias palabras.

El primer defecto que le vi fueron las cifras. A lo largo del libro, se puede com
Cornelia
A quick read and very interesting. I highly reccomend it.
SciFi Book Club: From the Earth to the Moon 8 10 Sep 23, 2014 08:11AM
SciFi Book Club: Verne and the US 5 11 Sep 23, 2014 08:09AM
The Evolution of ...: September Group Read: From the Earth to the Moon 20 48 Oct 04, 2013 09:55AM
سفر به ماه 1 6 Dec 02, 2012 01:55PM
سفر به ماه 1 3 Dec 02, 2012 01:55PM
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • A Murky Business (Penguin Classics)
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)
  • The Poison Belt: Being an Account of Another Amazing Adventure of Professor Challenger (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • Odd John
  • Il corsaro nero
  • Bug Jack Barron
  • Madrapour
  • The Last Man
  • Pebble in the Sky (Galactic Empire, #3)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)

“How many things have been denied one day, only to become realities the next!” 16 likes
“Well, I feel that we should always put a little art into what we do. It's better that way.” 12 likes