Start by marking “Cabbages & Roses Guide to Natural Housekeeping: Live a Calmer, Healthier Life, Recycle and Reuse, Clean Naturally, Garden Organically. Christina Strutt” as Want to Read:

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Saving the planet for future generations is a laudable aim, but why wait when quite small changes to your lifestyle can make a big difference here and now? This guide is full of advice and information to help you take a more sustainable path.
Published March 1st 2008 by Cico

To ask other readers questions about Cabbages & Roses Guide to Natural Housekeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cabbages & Roses Guide to Natural Housekeeping

Donna
Nov 24, 2011 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Donna by: Dan
Shelves: library, reference, 2011
This was a great recommendation from a friend, I may think of getting my own copy, or at least copying out some of the useful tips before it gores back to the library.
I was particularly interested in the section about making your own household cleaning products, as although I use eco-friendly brands like Ecover, I'm still not really sure what is in them - anyone know what an anionic surfactant is?? This book implies that if you have water, bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar, you can clean vir
D.G. Rampton
I hate how full of harmful chemicals our modern life is...which is why I love this book! It is full of fantastic and practical advice on how to clean, polish and revive everyday household items with cheap and natural products like vinegar and baking soda. I'm always referring to it...recently on how to remove burn marks from fabric!

It's beautifully put together and the photographs really inspire me to attempt to become a domestic goddess.
Dan
To imply that this book is simply about housekeeping is a tad misleading. Housekeeping tends to make me think about cleaning. The book does cover keeping your home clean and fresh using natural products, but it includes so much more too. Sustainable energy options, green gardening, preserving your produce, herbs and their properties, green gifts, homemade herbal remedies and homemade beauty products are also included.

The book is beautifully and liberally illustrated, and is an absolute joy to re
Meredith
Well, I was somewhat cynical from the moment the phrase "my publishers asked me to do this book" as in my experience this is a herald of bad things to come.

I will however grant that this book is a beautifully photographed, fairly complete overview of natural cleaning. Nothing new if you have read anything on the subject before, but if you haven't, then this would be a good place to start, and all that eye candy of beautifully rustic shelves won't go amiss.

Rachel Maxwell
I loved this one. most of it I already knew & currently do but she had lots of good info about what plants to plant next to each other as natural pesticides & a recipe for petal sugar! don't know when I'll ever use a recipe for petal sugar but I love that I have a recipe for petal sugar :)
Maureen
I have read a number of different books on "greening" your home. This is by far the best one so far. It offers helpful tips in all aspects of your house, from environmental cleansers to gardening.
Spinneretta
A beautiful book, with some great ideas. It is lacking in the recipe department, but the photography is beautiful, the ideas workable.
Emma
One of my very very favorite books. I refer to it often for advice or inspiration. Beautifully laid out with great pictures.
Bronwyn
A good, general introduction into Natural Housekeeping, though I felt this book was extremely vague in places.
Juli
Sep 26, 2008 Juli is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, rustic photos with useful tips and recipes for the home.
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
polly
polly added it
Jul 26, 2013
Aradia
Aradia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Virve
Virve added it
Aug 03, 2012
Brieanna
Brieanna marked it as to-read
May 06, 2012
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 02, 2012
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Romantic Home Sewing: Cottage-Style Projects to Stitch for the Home Country Living Decorating Vintage Style: Using Romantic Fabrics and Fleamarket Finds A Guide to Natural Housekeeping: Recipes and Solutions for a Cleaner, Greener Home Country Living Crafting Vintage Style: Charming Projects for Home and Garden Living Life Beautifully