Start by marking “Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe” as Want to Read:
Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe

Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  2,175 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Beyond Einstein takes readers on an exciting excursion into the discoveries that have led scientists to the brightest new prospect in theoretical physics today -- superstring theory. What is superstring theory and why is it important? This revolutionary breakthrough may well be the fulfillment of  Albert Einstein's lifelong dream of a Theory of Everything, uniting the laws ...more
Published September 1st 1995 by Anchor (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Einstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Einstein

bup
Jan 11, 2012 bup rated it liked it
Shelves: science, 2013
For me this book gave me the feeling of learning something without me really learning anything.

Do you remember in maybe junior high when a science teacher taught you that if there were twins, and one of them went on a spaceship going real fast for a long trip, when they came back the twin left on Earth would be much older than the twin that went on the trip? And that that was relativity? And then some kids would think they understood relativity because they had been told that factoid?

That's what
Hershel Shipman
Jan 05, 2014 Hershel Shipman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, physics
Another good overview of theoretical physics. Michio Kaku explains it a bit more simply than Brian Greene though it ends up with a shorter overview book that doesn't have as much detail. The most interesting parts are the history and its players. Kudos to him for mentioning an important female physicist.
Ajitabh Pandey
A perfect book for people who wants to understand and review the various theories related to the Universe and find a single theory of the universe. An excellent but somewhat outdated introduction to the concepts of the String Theory. Written in a simple language, you do not need to possess a degree in physics to understand it. A high school level understanding of science is enough to understand the matter presented in the book.
Ami Iida
Jul 08, 2015 Ami Iida rated it really liked it
Shelves: physics
The book encompasses The field of quantum mechanics.
Terence Kong
Jan 05, 2017 Terence Kong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This book provides readers an insight into the evolution of modern physics over the past several decades. Describing various scientific laws ranging from Newton's laws of motion to Einstein's idea of general relativity, Michio Kaku perfectly explains them in a understandable manner for the general audience and how in some ways those principles are affecting our daily lives.

I've heard that this book exhibits the same materials and themes as his other book Hyperspace. I'm not sure whether this is
Mars Smith
Jan 04, 2017 Mars Smith rated it it was amazing
Pro: Readers can learn about different types of elementary particles such as the different types of quarks and leptons. In this book, I learned that there were up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom quarks that were not all part of the same family. Page 110 shows a chart with up and down quarks in the electron family, the strange and charm quarks in the muon family, and the top and bottom quarks in the tau family. Michio's book talks about supersymmetry, string theory, and the grand unified t ...more
Venky
Apr 01, 2016 Venky rated it liked it
Shelves: bibliocase
The Holy Grail for every Theoretical Physicist is undoubtedly a Grand Unified Theory. A theory that coalesces all the four primary forces of Gravity, Electromagnetism, Weak Nuclear Force and the Strong Nuclear Force into one coherent, concise and clear theory. This endeavour has repeatedly eluded some of the most brilliant and mercurial geniuses who have made an indelible mark in the realm of Physics. Even a mighty stalwart like Einstein was left to rue the last years of his life disputing his o ...more
Harikleia
Jun 17, 2015 Harikleia rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Harikleia by: My sister
In the non-fiction book of “Beyond Einstein”, the author, Michio Kaku, a Professor of Theoretical Physics at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, explains the workings and the possible origins of the universe we know today. From Superstring Theory and Quantum Puzzles, to Dark Matter and planets or universes that have more dimensions or are composed of antimatter, this book has all of the answers to the questions that come with reading it.
Unlike all of the novels I have read,
Daniel
Jan 12, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it
Qualitative description of Einstein discoveries in relativity ( general or specific ) are described avoiding complicate math or any math at all. The author makes very good analogies with physical processes we know ( like when you drop a heavy weight over a bed sheet and let a small ball run over this surface ). The author debunks general assumptions that we take for granted like for example Einstein's dislike of quantum theory, because after all he has fomented its development and never was "tru ...more
David
Jan 13, 2014 David rated it really liked it
This is my second book read by Michio Kaku, and I intend to read all of his public divulgation books. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read, even though I'm a little bit behind schedule, having read this book 19 years late. Anyway, the only part where this book feels outdated it's when it talks about the late Superconducting Supercollider (SSC) project, and which had already been cancelled by the time the book was written and published. Still, it already talks about the Large Hadron ...more
Rajendra Dave
Mar 09, 2012 Rajendra Dave rated it it was ok
First the positives:
The book written by renowned physicist deals with a very interesting subject -what with the quest for GOD particle-of particle physics and unified theory. In a very short book, the authors have covered this vast and complex topic- including related trivia- and tried to make it comprehensible to a layman. That is where the problem lies.

While reading this book, I was reminded of a particular tradition in Hindu religion- Stayanarayana Katha. The priest visits home of devotee an
Adam
Sep 11, 2013 Adam rated it it was amazing
In Beyond Einstein, Michio Kaku gives the reader an overveiw of the history of modern physics. Beginning with Newton Beyond Einstein describes with intricacy, the theories that later began to form superstring theory. First, the idea that the four forces of the universe could be one and the same is expressed along with the detailed description of the forces. As the book progresses, it explains the idea of a multiverse, dark matter, anti-matter, and much more.

I would most addimently recomend this
John Godier
May 09, 2013 John Godier rated it really liked it
Kaku always delivers brainfood in an easily readable manner. I absolutely love his books, they're like adventures in themselves that have you page turning regardless of the advanced subject matter of theoretical physics. You move forward chapter after chapter eager to see what science you never thought you'd understand will be laid plain next.

In this early book he explores the concept of the grand unified theory that science still searches for today that thwarted Einstein himself. By the end of
Rodney
Dec 07, 2010 Rodney rated it liked it
Overall, not bad. I like Kaku...have watched him on various shows on television. There, everything is simplified for people like me! In this book, he does a so-so job of bringing theoretical physics down to the layperson level; however, theoretical physics is so high above the layperson to begin with that you have to bring it down much further! There were parts I understood and parts I didn't, but I wasn't going for a degree, I was just trying to learn something. And I did. If you want a basic b ...more
Greg Pretti
Feb 19, 2008 Greg Pretti rated it liked it
While I really like Kaku, this book jumped around just a little in parts, and that did take away some of the potential impact. It's also a little bizarre to read today, in a world where string theory is unproven, and mostly determined to be a nice, concise answer, but not THE answer. It transforms every reference Kaku makes about string theory's ability to solve everything into justification for a generalization so large that it can't entirely be proven wrong - or right.

All the same, the book is
Matthew Estrada
Jun 13, 2012 Matthew Estrada rated it really liked it
With this book and all his others Machio Kaku proves to be an amazing writer who is able to capture his readers with intriguing information. I think that this book was really good because if your someone like me you’d want to understand how our universe works. The key question on every physicists mind is how everything works together. You see right now the key theories are quantum and the theory of relativity but they don’t work together to form an understanding of gravity. In the end I give thi ...more
Maggy
Mar 19, 2012 Maggy rated it it was ok
Shelves: half-read
I feel bad for leaving a book unfinished, but this is not my slice of pie. I was only decent at physics, but never interested enough as to actually read and enjoy this book. Einsteins theory or relativity, the quantum theory, linked together by the theory of the superstrings. It had my mind reeling for hours, trying to comprehend every word. But, since this was a book I had to read for academic purposes, I gave it a try. Thankfully, I do not have to read it anymore so I must put it down. I don't ...more
Art
May 01, 2009 Art rated it it was ok
More of an overview than an in-depth discussion of theoretical physics and string theory. This book endeavors to pave a way towards the thought that string theory is the culmination of hundreds of years of scientific exploration but it reads more like a history lesson. It suffers from a lack of a binding principle or a strong thesis. It is useful as an introductory read, but it suffers from a lack of punch.
Tommy
Apr 29, 2012 Tommy rated it really liked it

I liked it. My opinion of it is rather skewed in that I bought several of Kaku's books and then brilliantly read them in reverse chronology, so I read this earlier work after I had read his more recent stuff. The book gives a good introduction into string theory and basic physics but it does have nearly two decades of scientific discoveries and refinements in theory between when it was written and now. I'd still recommend it.
Shawn Fairweather
Dec 31, 2013 Shawn Fairweather rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable and extremely easy to follow. Michio has an uncanny talent to explain some pretty heavy subject matter and break it down in a way that the layman as well as the knowledgable can comprehend and understand. Essentially what is discussed here is a short overview and journey of the last 100 or so years in terms of the development and circumstances of the Super String Theory with a bit of touching of other impacted areas of physics. I highly recommend this.
Eda
May 09, 2012 Eda rated it it was amazing
I have an unhealthy fascination with the origin of the universe and this is a must read for every cosmology enthusiast. Although there are some parts that people may not understand if they didn't have a background on quantum mechanics, Michio Kaku really explains it in the simplest way possible like he always does in all his popular science books. 5 stars! :)
Dave Wilson
Aug 05, 2015 Dave Wilson rated it liked it
I wouldn't recommend this book if you're interested in the current state of thinking. It's 20 years old and a lot has changed since its original publication. I found the style rather repetitive, as if the book had been written as a collection of independent essays then not-too-well edited before being published in book form.
melody mooney
May 03, 2007 melody mooney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quantumtheory
So, I have long had a interest in String Theory and Quantum Physics but I totally suck at Math. This book breaks down conceptual physics without intimidating the reader with advanced calculations. It's advanced stuff made easy. What's cooler than thinking your are smarter than that nerdy guy who was in trigonometry in the eighth grade?
Tracy Osimowicz
Jul 02, 2015 Tracy Osimowicz rated it really liked it
In truth, I didn't finish this book. I was halfway through it and I realized I was lost beyond recovery. It was very interesting while I did understand it. In fact, it sparked a revelation of my own minds capabilities! However, I put it down for awhile and have now lost my ability to follow and appreciate the text. I will pick it up again eventually, I have no doubt.
Charles
Apr 18, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-science
This was published in 1987 and was a really good introduction for me into the quest for something that might be called the Grand unified theory. Discussion included superstrings, supersymmetry, and multiple dimensions. I'm not a physicist but I understood it so it was written well for the interested lay person. It's probably outdated now.
Doug Orleans
I read this in high school, and recently picked it up again to re-learn about string theory. It's good for a popular audience, but it doesn't go deep enough into the details to give a really solid understanding of the issues. It's also somewhat out of date; check out Smolin's The Trouble with Physics for a more recent (though pessimistic) overview of the field.
JC de Egurrola
Apr 21, 2012 JC de Egurrola rated it it was amazing
A very good book. Michiu Kaku and Jeniffer Trainer give the readers a comprehensive discussion on the theories of the universe and the history, chronology and evolution of the Unified Field Theory (from Newton's gravitational force to Einstein's theory of relativity to the String theory).
D.J.
Feb 13, 2008 D.J. rated it really liked it
Though a bit outdated, it is an easy read. Personally, I liked Hyperspace better, but this is a fine book. Kaku continues in the tradition of Feynman, Sagan, and Hawking by making science accessible to the common man.

Re-read it in 2010; liked it a bit less this time around.
Jake Twila
Jul 10, 2014 Jake Twila rated it really liked it
It gives you the feeling that you've learnt something new while it's actually nothing you've learnt.. It's all about the imagination and pushing the Mind far far away beyond the limits..That's all we need for better understanding of Strings Theory..
Kdremak
Jun 29, 2008 Kdremak is currently reading it
I found this at Half Price books yesterday and though it was published ten years ago it seems to be worth the read. I think it is a good introduction to Michio Kaku's writing. And all of the information still stands up.
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • The Nature of Space and Time
  • Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time
  • Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond
  • Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
  • Before The Beginning
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes
  • About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution
  • Three Roads To Quantum Gravity
  • In Search of the Multiverse
  • Introducing Relativity: A Graphic Guide
  • Black Holes & Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity
  • Decoding the Universe: How the New Science of Information Is Explaining Everything in the Cosmos, from Our Brains to Black Holes
  • New Theories of Everything
(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: href="https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... Каку
Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008)
More about Michio Kaku...