Start by marking “Solo Suppers: Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself” as Want to Read:
Solo Suppers: Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself

Solo Suppers: Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself

Most recipes serve four to six people, leaving the solo cook in a predicament. Enter acclaimed cookbook author Joyce Goldstein and her stellar repertoire of meals that are fun for one. From hearty recipes like Spicy Tortilla and Lime Soup and Tuscan Style Rib-Eye Steak with Rosemary and Garlic, to dressed-up salads and seasonal fruit gratins, each dish is designed to serve ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Solo Suppers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solo Suppers

Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Lonely Spinsters
I picked up this little cookbook on a Borders binge and thought it would be perfect for the single girl living in Paris. Instead, it made me feel pathetic... AND the recipes weren't that great.
Michele
May 30, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
Lovely dishes but too much work for me to do for me. WAY too much work, too many ingredients, and too complex.
Stephanie Bostic
Aug 24, 2011 Stephanie Bostic rated it liked it
I really like the section on using sauces and dressings. She has some wonderful suggestions, but leans a little more toward the gourmet side. I found many of the recipes to be a little more on the complex side. Persian Meatball Soup, for example, has a very long list of ingredients and the Rigatonie with Meatball, Eggplant, and Tomato Sauce involves rather a lot of pots and pans. It's not really a cookbook for a casual cook or a beginner.

I would recommend the bread pudding (I adopted the idea an
Nicole Lane
Jun 20, 2016 Nicole Lane rated it did not like it
Shelves: scribd
This book taught me nothing in the way of cooking. The recipes were overall simple and provided no true advice on the art of cooking solo. In fact, she constantly suggested using the microwave which most single people have already mastered but are trying to overcome. Waste of my time!
Shirley
Jun 18, 2016 Shirley rated it liked it
I might make one of these a month too many ingredients and more complex than my palate.
Emily
Sep 21, 2012 Emily added it
Shelves: borrowed, cooking
A great recipe book if you happen to like the same kinds of ingredients the author likes. I don't keep pancetta in my kitchen, and I don't have many of the other ingredients either. I wasn't really intrigued by any of the recipes, and honestly the lengthy discussion of the microwave was unnecessary; it's really not a new invention now, so discussing the brilliant uses for heating up leftovers was silly. So back to the bookstore it goes!
Mar 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: gormands with a lot of time
Although the photos are tantalizing, I haven't made too many things from this book yet. Most recipes seem a bit too elaborate for solo suppers, and require special ingredients. I would recommend the moroccan chicpea salad which is easy and great and usually a bit hit at summer vegetarian potlucks (double the recipe).
Leigh Shaver
Jan 12, 2008 Leigh Shaver rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: yuppie singles, foodies
Thought this might have quick, simple meals for me and my 4 yr old (granted, she does not have a very developed palate), but it is a bit too chic. Maybe for single parents with nannies?
Christina
May 12, 2010 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: read-books-2004
This is a good cookbook for those who already have some cooking experience. The recipes are tilted more towards the gourmet experience than the "30 minutes or less" crowd.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
Sep 07, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2016
Melissa F
Melissa F rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Joni S
Joni S rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Bertie Therat and friends
Bertie Therat and friends rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Pam Jordan
Pam Jordan rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
mjg300
mjg300 marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
L C
L C added it
Apr 06, 2016
Robin Forman
Robin Forman marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Margaret Lukens
Margaret Lukens rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
David Kraus
David Kraus rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Ellie K
Ellie K rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015