Start by marking “Solo Suppers: Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself” as Want to Read:
Solo Suppers: Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself

Solo Suppers: Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Most recipes serve four to six people, leaving the solo cook in a predicament. Enter acclaimed cookbook author Joyce Goldstein and her stellar repertoire of meals that are fun for one. From hearty recipes like Spicy Tortilla and Lime Soup and Tuscan Style Rib-Eye Steak with Rosemary and Garlic, to dressed-up salads and seasonal fruit gratins, each dish is designed to serve ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Solo Suppers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solo Suppers

Stephanie Bostic
I really like the section on using sauces and dressings. She has some wonderful suggestions, but leans a little more toward the gourmet side. I found many of the recipes to be a little more on the complex side. Persian Meatball Soup, for example, has a very long list of ingredients and the Rigatonie with Meatball, Eggplant, and Tomato Sauce involves rather a lot of pots and pans. It's not really a cookbook for a casual cook or a beginner.

I would recommend the bread pudding (I adopted the idea an
Emily
Sep 21, 2012 Emily added it
Shelves: borrowed, cooking
A great recipe book if you happen to like the same kinds of ingredients the author likes. I don't keep pancetta in my kitchen, and I don't have many of the other ingredients either. I wasn't really intrigued by any of the recipes, and honestly the lengthy discussion of the microwave was unnecessary; it's really not a new invention now, so discussing the brilliant uses for heating up leftovers was silly. So back to the bookstore it goes!
Mar 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gormands with a lot of time
Although the photos are tantalizing, I haven't made too many things from this book yet. Most recipes seem a bit too elaborate for solo suppers, and require special ingredients. I would recommend the moroccan chicpea salad which is easy and great and usually a bit hit at summer vegetarian potlucks (double the recipe).
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lonely Spinsters
I picked up this little cookbook on a Borders binge and thought it would be perfect for the single girl living in Paris. Instead, it made me feel pathetic... AND the recipes weren't that great.
Leigh Shaver
Jan 12, 2008 Leigh Shaver rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yuppie singles, foodies
Thought this might have quick, simple meals for me and my 4 yr old (granted, she does not have a very developed palate), but it is a bit too chic. Maybe for single parents with nannies?
Christina
This is a good cookbook for those who already have some cooking experience. The recipes are tilted more towards the gourmet experience than the "30 minutes or less" crowd.
Michele
Lovely dishes but too much work for me to do for me. WAY too much work, too many ingredients, and too complex.
Molly
Molly added it
Dec 23, 2014
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Ian Thwaites
Ian Thwaites marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Feb 03, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Serah
Serah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sephardic Flavors: Jewish Cooking of the Mediterranean Mediterranean Fresh: A Compendium of One-Plate Salad Meals and Mix-And-Match Dressings Cucina Ebraica: Flavors of the Italian Jewish Kitchen The Mediterranean Kitchen Italian Slow and Savory