Chasing Grace: Reflections of a Catholic Girl, Grown Up

Chasing Grace: Reflections of a Catholic Girl, Grown Up

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From Manning's passionate childhood longing to become a nun, to her equally passionate teenage hope that God would forget that wish, to her musings as a writer, wife, and mother on the ways faith has colored her life, Chasing Grace paints a funny and moving picture of Irish-American Catholic life and family.
Published September 1st 1996 by HarperOne (first published 1996)

one of my favorite books (if not my absolute fave). it's been on my shelf-- torn and tattered by now-- for over 10 years. i can't say that a guy would really appreciate it, but if you're even a slightly introspective woman, i think you'd enjoy.
Andrea
This book combines several of my favorite themes - growing up Catholic, faith outside religion, psychology... I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to reading some of her otehr books.
Katie
Jan 29, 2008 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who was raised Catholic or went to Catholic school
Witty and life-like. Laugh out loud at points. There was a lot I could relate to in this book, but if you don't have connections to the Catholic church, it may not be as funny.
Madelaine Landry
MY FAVORITE MEMOIR! It mirrors my own life so closely and Manning's style is phenomenal! a must read for anyone who grew up Catholic!
Rosie
Jan 24, 2008 Rosie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Catholics
Anyone who grew up Catholic and went to Catholic School would appreciate this
Leslie
This is the perfect book for my nightstand. Each chapter stands alone, and is witty and wonderful, but true as well. I find myself agreeing with the author on so many issues, but often, I have never even thought about them, much less articulated. Just resonated with me. I have read this several times, and bought out all the copies B&N had when they were in the Bargain Books pile. I have since given them all away! Maureen was the funniest: she tried to read it, wasn't impressed and then put i...more
Marilyn
Having had a Catholic school education for 8 years in the 1950s and 1960s, I always enjoy reading about other people who had nuns for teachers. Every nun who ever taught in a grade school at that time must have learned their teaching methods from the same very old, very mean head nun. Or maybe the nuns were all mean because they had to wear those crazy outfits!
Cyndi Chauvin
Funny, realistic outlook on Catholic upbringing, could really relate with most things. Dont know how my 18yr old Daughter acquired this book and she doesn't remember either for she never read it. Found it, dusted it off, gave it a try. It's not biased in any way at all and thats what I liked most about it. Liked some of the quotes too.
Jamie Sunderland
Another of my all time favorite books. This is a laugh-out-loud-until-your-sides-hurt book, with many tender, insightful, and wise moments as well. If you were raised Catholic and have a sense of humor, this book is for you. If you don't know anything about the Catholic faith, read it anyway!
Karen Okamoto
Chasing Grace was a wonderful, funny book that I absolutely loved. It made me want to share my funny moments with my original family, and continue to have the great times with my family now. Read it, learn from it, enjoy it, ....never put it down until you finish it! It is great!
Kate
I enjoyed this book, but know I would have liked it more if I had some of those common Catholic experiences that were mentioned so many times. I found it a little disorienting at times because it was not chronological - instead being organized by topic.
Aubree Bowling
This was a book I wanted to be a humorous memoir and instead it was more a collection of contemplative essays. Which wasn't what I hoped to read, so I was a bit bored and let down.
Cheryl
It was good, but it wasn't what I expected it to be. I didn't get the sense of how Catholocism affected some of the decisions or played a part of some of the stories.
Mary Rita
Anyone who was raised Catholic (or those that enjoy a good laugh) should read this book. It's very entertaining & was an easy read.
Sheila
Aug 03, 2008 Sheila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Catholics
Hilarious. A must Read for all Irish Catholics! Added bonus if you went to any sort of Sunday School or Catholic School.
Nancy
Pretty funny if you grew up in a large, Catholic, Irish family and went to Catholic school.
Missy
Aug 09, 2013 Missy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is similar to Mickey's book.
Judy
easy read, laugh out loud book
Barbara Zepernick
Barbara Zepernick marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Mary hight
Mary hight marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Bonnie Yaren
Bonnie Yaren marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Maddibailey
Maddibailey marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Undercurrents: A Life Beneath the Surface A Place to Land: Lost and Found in an Unlikely Friendship The Common Thread: Mothers and Daughters: The Bond We Never Outgrow All Seasons Pass: Grieving a Miscarriage Undercurrents: A Therapist's Reckoning with Depression