Start by marking “Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working” as Want to Read:
Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working

Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working

People in the high flush of a successful but sometimes frenetic business career often look with envy at those who have entered their golden years. Ah! they think. To be retired! Free to wake when you wish, to have the time to reflect on the deeper things in life, play golf or quoits, or just go fishin' in the middle of the day. The stressed-out mind boggles at the prospect ...more
Published June 3rd 2008 by HarperBusiness (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Executricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executricks

Kate Draper
This book disgusted me. It was a book written by a user, manipulator, and overall disgusting human being. It is only useful is you have no ethics.
Todd Stockslager
Jun 08, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
At some point in my career (it might have been yesterday, a Sunday, as I read this book and contemplated my workaday status), I realized that I was never going to invent flubber, direct "The Dark Knight", or craft a clever and historically-lauded Wall Street bailout plan, all of these having been done and properly credited, and therefore that I would never make Trump-size money. So at that point, probably yesterday as I lay awake after reading this book, I realized that my career goals were begi ...more
Brian
Aug 10, 2011 Brian added it
This was an enjoyable quick read. Hard to tell if it was written as a serious slacker's how-to guide on how to become the cream of an organization and rise to the level where you can utilize position, organizational bureaucracy, and delegation to "retire while still working" or as a sarcastic look at management at the executive level. Either way there are some actually good points that can be taken from this book and put into application. My favorite tip was:

[After the crisis] this means ferreti
Donald
Jun 24, 2010 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who works and admits it.
Shelves: 2010
Casting Alan Sklar as the narrator for this book is absolute genius. His psuedo-sarcastic tone of voice is such a snappy addition to the material that I would not doubt it if someone told me it was written specifically for him to read instead of the other way around.

That being said, I enjoyed this title for saying a lot of what I had probably thought at one time or another. I find that I get more out of my current employment when I am not so intense about it. I do delegate more and find the sayi
Robert
Aug 04, 2010 Robert rated it liked it
It reads as though it's tongue-in-cheek, but it could all be true. The premise is that there are a lot of greedy bastards in large corporations; why couldn't you be one of them? A little more serious is his admonition not to put off enjoying life until it's too late, and don't waste your time in retirement.

It was an entertaining and quick read, but not really enlightening or inspiring.
Kambin Pillay
Mar 27, 2009 Kambin Pillay rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers of Stanley Bing's column in Fortune magazine
Recommended to Kambin by: I browsed it in the bookstore
I've read Stanley Bing's column in Fortune magazine for years so when I came across this at the local bookstore I immediately sat down and started reading it. Although I finished the book in the bookstore, I nevertheless bought a copy as I found it hilarious. Well worth reading.
Mar 21, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, non-fiction
A humorous take on how to be a "retired" working Executive. Lots of ways to make your life at work the best it can be.
Angie
Oct 25, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it
I found this book very funny. Perhaps a bit scary too as I wondered what the executives at my company really do all day. Anyway, if you work in an office, it will make you laugh.
Michelle
Jan 09, 2009 Moses rated it liked it
This book is hilarious. Unfinished on p93
Rhodes Hileman
Dec 22, 2012 Rhodes Hileman rated it it was amazing
This is Dilbert for the Netjets set. Both hilarious and insightful. And, actually, some useful advice. If you're under 60, don't read this; it's not for you.
ilham.mukhtar
Feb 23, 2014 ilham.mukhtar rated it it was ok
an OK book with a different perspective. Embrace the perks and never retire! Interesting way to look at employment and a funny view. Enjoy it to love it.
Dad
Jul 15, 2008 Dad rated it liked it
Tongue-in-cheek fluff from an amusing storyteller about how to make work more fun. Hint--it helps to be a powerful, unaccountable, senior executive with a fat expense account.
Kate
Oct 21, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
I want to be this guy. He is my new idol.
Marca
Marca rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2009
Luahiwa
Luahiwa rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2009
Vandy Johnson
Vandy Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2008
Andy Pittman
Andy Pittman rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2011
Cob Pen
Cob Pen rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2015
Luke Deemer
Luke Deemer rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Jade
Jade rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Carey Radican
Carey Radican rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2011
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2013
Mike Blount
Mike Blount rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2011
Mark Stanley
Mark Stanley rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Nicole Cushing
Nicole Cushing rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2008
Amazing Titicaca
Amazing Titicaca rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2016