Start by marking “Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working” as Want to Read:
Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working

Executricks: Or How to Retire While You're Still Working

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  12 reviews
People in the high flush of a successful but sometimes frenetic business career often look with envy at those who have entered their golden years. Ah! they think. To be retired! Free to wake when you wish, to have the time to reflect on the deeper things in life, play golf or quoits, or just go fishin' in the middle of the day. The stressed-out mind boggles at the prospect ...more
Published June 3rd 2008 by HarperBusiness (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Executricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executricks

Todd Stockslager
At some point in my career (it might have been yesterday, a Sunday, as I read this book and contemplated my workaday status), I realized that I was never going to invent flubber, direct "The Dark Knight", or craft a clever and historically-lauded Wall Street bailout plan, all of these having been done and properly credited, and therefore that I would never make Trump-size money. So at that point, probably yesterday as I lay awake after reading this book, I realized that my career goals were begi ...more
Brian
Aug 10, 2011 Brian added it
This was an enjoyable quick read. Hard to tell if it was written as a serious slacker's how-to guide on how to become the cream of an organization and rise to the level where you can utilize position, organizational bureaucracy, and delegation to "retire while still working" or as a sarcastic look at management at the executive level. Either way there are some actually good points that can be taken from this book and put into application. My favorite tip was:

[After the crisis] this means ferreti
Donald
Jun 28, 2010 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who works and admits it.
Shelves: 2010
Casting Alan Sklar as the narrator for this book is absolute genius. His psuedo-sarcastic tone of voice is such a snappy addition to the material that I would not doubt it if someone told me it was written specifically for him to read instead of the other way around.

That being said, I enjoyed this title for saying a lot of what I had probably thought at one time or another. I find that I get more out of my current employment when I am not so intense about it. I do delegate more and find the sayi
ilham.mukhtar
an OK book with a different perspective. Embrace the perks and never retire! Interesting way to look at employment and a funny view. Enjoy it to love it.
Robert
It reads as though it's tongue-in-cheek, but it could all be true. The premise is that there are a lot of greedy bastards in large corporations; why couldn't you be one of them? A little more serious is his admonition not to put off enjoying life until it's too late, and don't waste your time in retirement.

It was an entertaining and quick read, but not really enlightening or inspiring.
Kambin Pillay
Mar 27, 2009 Kambin Pillay rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of Stanley Bing's column in Fortune magazine
Recommended to Kambin by: I browsed it in the bookstore
I've read Stanley Bing's column in Fortune magazine for years so when I came across this at the local bookstore I immediately sat down and started reading it. Although I finished the book in the bookstore, I nevertheless bought a copy as I found it hilarious. Well worth reading.
Angie
I found this book very funny. Perhaps a bit scary too as I wondered what the executives at my company really do all day. Anyway, if you work in an office, it will make you laugh.
Dad
Tongue-in-cheek fluff from an amusing storyteller about how to make work more fun. Hint--it helps to be a powerful, unaccountable, senior executive with a fat expense account.
Rhodes Hileman
This is Dilbert for the Netjets set. Both hilarious and insightful. And, actually, some useful advice. If you're under 60, don't read this; it's not for you.
Moses
This book is hilarious. Unfinished on p93
Kate
I want to be this guy. He is my new idol.
Michelle
funny...but so TRUE!!!!
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Terence Oh
Terence Oh marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Franco
Franco marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Daniel Madhavan
Daniel Madhavan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
May 08, 2014
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Ana Tretinjak
Ana Tretinjak marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
What Would Machiavelli Do?: The Ends Justify the Meanness Sun Tzu Was a Sissy: Conquer Your Enemies, Promote Your Friends, and Wage the Real Art of War Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up Rome, Inc.: The Rise and Fall of the First Multinational Corporation 100 Bullshit Jobs...And How to Get Them