Start by marking “The Wire Cutters” as Want to Read:
The Wire Cutters

The Wire Cutters

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The first novel to portray seriously nineteenth-century cowboy life, The Wire-Cutters was Moll__ E. Moore Davis's tour de force inspired by the Fence Cutting Wars fought by competing cattlemen and ranchers in Central Texas. First published in 1899, the novel introduced readers to a new kind of storytelling that prefigured an entire American literary genre—the Western—and p ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Texas A&M University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wire Cutters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wire Cutters

Melanie
This is suppose to be the first Western novel, and this in not a genre that I usually seek out. I did enjoy this book, but felt at times it took so long to get to the ending that had all sorts of twists and turns. The book focuses on Roy Hilliiard. A genetic fluke causes him to look like his mother's first husband, and he gets raised by the Hilliard family, not remembering the Deerfields. As an adult Roy becomes a rivial to his biological brother Allan in beliefs, friendship, and love. Wire-cutt ...more
Joe
I read it off a book club sponsored by the Kansas Humanities Council. It reads like a book written in an earlier time which is precisely what it is.
I particularly enjoyed the use of biblical or near-biblical imagery. The story seems a bit contrived, a coincidence or two too many, but I enjoyed it. Purportedly the first of the cowboy or western genre, I found it to be a refreshing change.
Carole Jordan
I had a tough time getting into this book because of the antiquated style and the use of dialects; however, about halfway into the book I got past my irritation and recognized the devices the author used to portray the different players in this real period of American history. It was worth reading.
Sherry
Worth reading! This is apparently the first western to have been written. The twists at the end happen fast enough to turn your head. If you like Louis L'Amour, you'll appreciate this. I'm getting it for my dad for his birthday.
Ron
Read my review at my blog.
Under the Man Fig In War Times at La Rose Blanche