Start by marking “The Wire Cutters” as Want to Read:
The Wire Cutters

The Wire Cutters

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  8 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The first novel to portray seriously nineteenth-century cowboy life, The Wire-Cutters was Moll__ E. Moore Davis's tour de force inspired by the Fence Cutting Wars fought by competing cattlemen and ranchers in Central Texas. First published in 1899, the novel introduced readers to a new kind of storytelling that prefigured an entire American literary genre—the Western—and p ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Texas A&M University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wire Cutters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wire Cutters

MJ
Apr 15, 2016 MJ rated it really liked it
Read for American Gothic Literature course

HONESTLY I'M SO MAD THIS ENDED THE WAY IT DID BECAUSE I GOT SUPER INVESTED AND THEN OF FRIGGIN COURSE (view spoiler) GDI!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie
Mar 05, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
This is suppose to be the first Western novel, and this in not a genre that I usually seek out. I did enjoy this book, but felt at times it took so long to get to the ending that had all sorts of twists and turns. The book focuses on Roy Hilliiard. A genetic fluke causes him to look like his mother's first husband, and he gets raised by the Hilliard family, not remembering the Deerfields. As an adult Roy becomes a rivial to his biological brother Allan in beliefs, friendship, and love. Wire-cutt ...more
Joe
Feb 26, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
I read it off a book club sponsored by the Kansas Humanities Council. It reads like a book written in an earlier time which is precisely what it is.
I particularly enjoyed the use of biblical or near-biblical imagery. The story seems a bit contrived, a coincidence or two too many, but I enjoyed it. Purportedly the first of the cowboy or western genre, I found it to be a refreshing change.
Carole Jordan
Jun 11, 2013 Carole Jordan rated it liked it
I had a tough time getting into this book because of the antiquated style and the use of dialects; however, about halfway into the book I got past my irritation and recognized the devices the author used to portray the different players in this real period of American history. It was worth reading.
Sherry
Mar 01, 2013 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Worth reading! This is apparently the first western to have been written. The twists at the end happen fast enough to turn your head. If you like Louis L'Amour, you'll appreciate this. I'm getting it for my dad for his birthday.
Ron
Mar 21, 2012 Ron rated it liked it
Shelves: early-westerns
Read my review at my blog.
Biblioanna
Biblioanna marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Maya White-Lurie
Maya White-Lurie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Rob Borgeson
Rob Borgeson rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Susan Willis
Susan Willis rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012