Start by marking “Teaching with the Brain in Mind” as Want to Read:
Teaching with the Brain in Mind

Teaching with the Brain in Mind

This completely revised and updated ASCD best-seller is loaded with ideas for how to improve student achievement and create a more effective classroom by applying brain research to your teaching. Renowned author and educator Eric Jensen translates the latest scientific findings into effective instructional strategies, including: Why to start every class with opening activi ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 186 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with the Brain in Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with the Brain in Mind

Duong Tan
Jan 07, 2015 Duong Tan rated it really liked it
Tôi rất thích những thứ thứ thuộc về Jean Piaget giai đoạn cuối khi ông phát triển một thứ tri thức luận dựa trên sự hiểu biết đầy đủ về hoạt động sinh lí của con người (tri thức học sinh-triển - genetic epistemology ). Trong vòng một hai hai thập kỉ gần đây, cac nhà nghiên cứu về não bộ ngày càng hiểu rõ thêm về não bộ của con người, dần dần cho thấy những ý tưởng của Piaget là thiết thực . Và đương nhiên, các nhà giáo không thể làm ngơ trước những tiến bộ khoa học này. Việc vận dụng những hiểu ...more
Janet Ott
Jul 07, 2011 Janet Ott rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any educator or school administrator and parents
Recommended to Janet by: I found his work by looking up brain research in education on the internet
Eric Jensen's books are mostly terrific, though I would love some more detail in the implementation aspect. As a neurophysiologist, I know the brain stuff, what I'm looking for is how to put the whole thing in action. I would like to see a style that more parallels the book Classroom Instruction that Works, where that team uses clear and detailed examples from a class in a variety of fields and levels so you can see how to put their stuff into action. Jensen has a lot of theory, but not a lot of ...more
Megan
Feb 12, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
This book has good information, but I agree with many of the other reviews in that it does not give very many practical examples of how to apply this research in the classroom. I think How the Brain Learns was much more interesting to read, had more information, and gave more examples on how to apply the information. If you are interested in just methods on applying these studies, Green Light Classrooms is the book for you. I teach at the high school level and both of these books changed my teac ...more
Katie
Oct 06, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
This was a quick and easy read and helped me sound smart at parent teacher conferences. A great book for teachers!
Stacy Natal
Nov 25, 2015 Stacy Natal rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
Definitely one of the better books related to teaching that I've read in a long time. It's full of practical information relating to how we can help our students' brains to grow.

New learnings:

Left/right brained personality is out of date. Left/sequential/part to whole doesn't always translate to logic and right/whole to part doesn't always translate to artistic inclination etc...

Once students habituate to a signal, it's time to change to something new.

It takes up to six hours to complete forma
Marika Gillis
Teaching with the Brain in Mind is a terrific resource for teachers who are trying to maximize the use of their time with students... to get the most "bang for the buck" so to speak. This book explores ideas about how the brain works; how movement, emotional states, physical environments, etc. can affect student learning. There is a lot of background knowledge about the structure and function of the different parts of the brain that I found interesting, but might be a bit heavy for some readers. ...more
Amy
May 10, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Okay, this was assigned reading for work. Dont get me wrong I liked the information and agreed with the authors premise, however I wish there something more to it. It through out tons on data and what you could do but it felt like it was missing that one thing to make using it realistic. So many ofmthe suggestions were things outside of my control.
Liz
Jan 26, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-books
Teacher book about using brain research to inform teaching. Found out that a lot of what I already do is, in-fact, compatible with brain-research. But I also learned some new things like the link between movement and brain activity, the importance of emotions on the brain, and how boy brains and girl brains operate differently based on both nature and nurture. What I particularly liked about this book is that every chapter had a list of "practical suggestions" for educators. Because of this, I w ...more
Jen Bury
May 22, 2014 Jen Bury rated it liked it
Pretty much obvious stuff, but I agree with most of it :)
As a teacher training/discussion book it was ok, but since it is obvious I wouldn't waste my time otherwise
Lizzy
Jan 17, 2015 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
psychology for teachers! brilliant! makes me not what to do my homework though.... reading this just told me everything about grad school work loads and classroom education is wrong
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 31, 2015 Tasneem Zafer rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite 2014 books. I lost my copy and had to purchase another one!!
Bethany Robinson
Jul 25, 2011 Bethany Robinson rated it it was amazing
The research in this books was very interesting. I tried implementing the longer increments of brain down time(recess) to thirty minutes which worked wonderfully for my students. I also agreed with many of their strategies on how to improve student learning. It specified the importance of making sure children DO NOT become frustrated while learning. This was an exceptional read suggested by a dear friend of mine.
Larinda Olds
Feb 08, 2014 Larinda Olds rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Great resource
Stacey
Feb 20, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it
Great resource, relevant in the classroom and full of practical suggestions. In some ways it feels like operating instructions for students. One of the ideas I appreciated the most was the need to give students settling time. This is time where students are not learning anything new, they are resting, but their brains are still working to process the information.
Terry Michaels
Sep 02, 2008 Terry Michaels rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with children, teachers, life-long learners
This book is easy to understand and has practical suggestions on how to apply teaching to the science of brain development and learning. It is written so traditional classroom teachers who need their students to use memorization techniques, etc. can apply brain research to their teaching methods. He touches on some good points that suggest reform.
Cynthia
Nov 24, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Keep them moving. This book teaches about the latest brain research as it relates to teaching. I would suggest it to any teacher at any level. Actually, I'd suggest it to parents as well. We're learning more and more about how our brains work. This book gives background and techniques for improving student achievement. Definitely worth reading.
Leigh Aultman
Apr 19, 2007 Leigh Aultman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a future in education
Shelves: education
It is amazing what neuroscience has taught in the past 5 years about how we learn. This resource presents complex concepts in a highly accessible manner. Basic brain anatomy, how the brain changes over time, how positive and negative emtions affect the brain..and much more are included in this easy to read book.
Sirpa Grierson
Jan 24, 2010 Sirpa Grierson rated it really liked it
Every teacher (and parent) should read this book. Absolutely fascinating, with so many practical suggestions and facts about how the brain learns. Jensen has done a marvelous job of distilling information from the latest brain research. Much better than the first edition that I read in 1999!
Matthew
Feb 04, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Solid book on the brain science behind many aspects of teaching. Scary how much our brains and our ability to learn are affected by the first five years of our lives.

Excellent continuation of my understanding of the brain and learning. I look forward to reading Jensen's next book.
D.Lee
Aug 04, 2012 D.Lee rated it liked it
A lot of information on the brain and how we learn. I learned a lot, but wish there had been a guide to help teachers focus on a few really strategic things they could do in class, NOW. Students return in 15 days!
Beth Lind
Feb 21, 2012 Beth Lind rated it liked it
Great information but nothing earth shattering within these pages. I guess I knew more about brain based learning than I knew. I did like the research and I'll probably share some of that with the faculty at school.
RuthAnn
Aug 08, 2008 RuthAnn rated it it was amazing
This book has incredible information about how to apply the most recent brain research to teaching practices! A must read for teachers and anyone else interested in effective teaching practices.
Lacey
Mar 15, 2008 Lacey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers and moms
Recommended to Lacey by: My ESL Teacher
It talks about currently brain research and how it relates to learning. I thought it was pretty interesting to read about how the brain works. I still have a couple chapters left.
Ashley Lind
Dec 05, 2007 Ashley Lind rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: future teacher/parents
Shelves: mit
this book was insightful as to the inner workings of the brain. There is a dramatic shift from the first edition to the second edition and would not recommend the first addition to anyone.
Colin Kemmis
Extremely up-to-date practical brain research for the classroom. I found something to improve my teaching on every page and reaffirmations for the strategies I regularly use.
Christine
Jul 29, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book will validate what many teachers already do in the classroom. It has practical, useable suggestions and Mr. Jensen should be the Secretary of Education.
Matthew Collier
Sep 20, 2012 Matthew Collier rated it liked it
A little dry but what else would you expect from a textbook? Had a lot of great tips for a classroom designed around the science of the brain.
Dayla
Great book about what research is saying about how the brain works, and what strategies are most effective with students. I love this research.
Kristen
Read for continuing Ed. More practical than most, but still unrealistic given some of the constraints schools are currently under.
Ana Laura Zanfranceschi
Apr 14, 2012 Ana Laura Zanfranceschi rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting book. To get you thinking and reconsidering most of your teaching practices. Worth reading.
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • How the Brain Learns
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Understanding by Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »