Start by marking “Knitting For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Knitting For Dummies

Knitting For Dummies (For Dummies)

Knitting is a relatively simple process requiring a minimal set of tools - two needles and a ball of yarn. Its basic structure of interlocking loops couldn't be less complicated. Yet the possibilities for design and pattern innovation seem endless. Now is a great time to learn to knit. Never before have you had so many lovely and imaginative yarns from which to choose and ...more
Published January 15th 2002 by Hungry Minds (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting For Dummies

Kathryn
Feb 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was lucky enough to snag the ebook on sale at amazon for .99. I've flipped through a hardcopy version of the book a number of times and always thought it was a little too expensive. Learning to knit from a book sounds odd and for beginners, it will most definitely feel so, at least at first. This book is a wonderful resource for beginners and those who are ready to learn the basics of larger and more intermediate projects. I had not picked up my needles for a few years before I bought this ...more
Ginny Messina
Jan 04, 2008 Ginny Messina rated it it was amazing
I'll probably update my review when I eventually finish this book, but I expect that to be some months from now. Pam Allen's guide is packed with information and instruction that will take me a long time to learn. So far, I am using it to brush up on my very rudimentary knitting skills and am finding the book to be excellent. The instructions are clear, there are lots of great hints on solving problems and avoiding mistakes, and the illustrations are wonderful.

I've been using it along with the
Tracy
May 16, 2013 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: do-it-yourself
It is handy for a guide for learning to knit, but I had to use it along with a few really good You Tube channels as some of the directions were confusing and made no sense to me. I already did know how to do some very basic knitting, which helped. There were some errors in the practice pieces which I did, and the directions for the practice pieces didn't always match what they showed on the dummies website which leads me to think there were a few more errors in the ones that I didn't do. It ...more
Lauren
Oct 11, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Never have i ever... learned anything from a book.

Until now. This book takes the fine art of weaving one piece of string into hats and scarves and sweaters, and makes it infinitely easy. It takes you from "This is a knit stitch. This is a purl stitch," to "This is how you make a cable-knit sweater," all in a few deceptively easy steps.

The best twenty bucks i've ever spent.
Shobha Tummala
Jul 16, 2008 Shobha Tummala rated it liked it
I did learn how to knit from this book, but it is so hard to learn from a book. I had been part of a class sometime after that and it was so much easier. If you want to learn how to knit, my recommendation is to go take a class!
Pam
Oct 05, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts, knitting

This is my go-to reference book for knitting help. I use it all the time. It also has a helpful little library of stitch patterns I've made into scarves, cloths, etc.
Beth F.
Aug 15, 2008 Beth F. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: most knitters!
Shelves: knitting
Unless you have immediate access to an experienced knitter to help you through your growing pains, this book is a must-have for new/beginner knitters and an excellent reference for intermediate and more experienced knitters. It has easy-to-understand diagrams and explanations that actually make sense. It also makes an excellent reference (although the diagrams for the kitchener stitch are confusing to me—check out the how-to on www.knitty.com, I use that one every time I need to kitchener someth ...more
TKay
Dec 31, 2014 TKay rated it liked it
This is a good book for the beginner who knows absolutely nothing. I'm an expert crocheter, and my grandmother taught me the basics of knitting when I was a kid; I hadn't done it for years and read this book for review. I skipped over a lot of it because I really didn't need to know about yarn, etc. Also, the black-and-white pictures were grainy and hard to see. However, it does have a lot of useful information so I'd recommend it to someone starting from scratch.
Tara
May 26, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it
I love this book! It is so easy to use. I already knew how to knit before I got this book, so I don't know how effective it is for true beginners. As a refresher resource it's perfect. And it's taught me quite a few things I didn't already know. I can't give it 5 stars because I occasionally have to use internet videos to supplement the figures that I sometimes have a hard time deciphering.
Fauza
Feb 10, 2012 Fauza rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Bukunya lumayan bagus buat yang mau belajar knitting. Di awal-awal dijelaskan tentang sedikit history knitting, macam-macam yarn and needlenya. Cuma kalau buat yang beneran baru belajar knitting mungkin membaca saja tidak cukup, tapi alangkah lebih baik kalau ditambah dengan belajar dari video di youtube misalnya. Soalnya teknik-teknik knittingnya kurang begitu jelas kalau cuma dilihat dari gambar.
Louise
Aug 02, 2015 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, craft
As a complete novice, I found this book very informative regarding different types of yarn, stitches and accessories. There were also pictures to show you how to do different stitches, however I still found that i was youtubing the videos as diagrams not that great in the book. I also liked that there were different patterns to follow to start you off.
Jenny Houle
Mar 31, 2014 Jenny Houle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My really long review just vanished...go figure.

My favorite part of the book is that there is a chapter on how to eleviate common knitting stress pains, throughout the hands, shoulders and neck. However, it's a great reference book for even experienced knitters who, late at night, look at a term in a pattern and go "I should know how to do this, but...."
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
I read this in hopes I would learn to knit.

I think I'm the type that needs to SEE a stitch done, and hence a teacher. Also, my natural inclination is not either of the two "standard" methods (English and Continental) covered in this book.

It's not totally useless, but I don't use it very often.
Sue K
Oct 21, 2010 Sue K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty
This is one of my "go to" books for finding information that I need. I keep it by my knitting bassket so that I can refer to it easily when I need to. The nstructions are easy to follow and relatively easy to find when you need a quick answer to "what does that abbreviation mean?" or "how do you do that stitch?"
I have always been a fan of the "Dummies" books and this one does not disappoint.
Sarahanne
Dec 22, 2014 Sarahanne rated it liked it
I think I wasn't at the right level of dummy for this book. Half the info was too basic. The rest confused me. A lot.

I've used other books in the series to good result but this one missed the mark. Could be the nature of knitting? Could be user error? Could be a mismatch between the authors' brains and mine.
Ginny
Jan 28, 2009 Ginny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn how to knit!!
Shelves: craftiness
I cannot say enough good things about this book!!!!! It has really helped me ease into knitting. The illustrations are very helpful, the patterns are great, what more can I say! I have made several scarves and plan on venturing out into something a little more challenging, like a hat.
Deirdre
Feb 11, 2010 Deirdre rated it really liked it
There are two different editions of this work and they differ slightly. The second edition has more web resources and shares a few patterns but has a few more in total. It also seems to be better organise and flow for the learner in a better way.
K
Sep 06, 2008 K rated it really liked it
Like most of the "for Dummies" series, the layout of this book is hideous, which is too bad because there is so much useful information in it. Especially strong in describing how to fix mistakes and create complex patterns. Good reference for both beginners and more advanced knitters.
Earl
Feb 24, 2010 Earl rated it liked it
As a rank beginner this book did not help me get started. Fortunately I had a couple of friends who assisted me and provided more helpful materials. My aim was to keep hands busy in front of tv to avoid stuffing junk food into my face. No luck - I HAVE to watch what my hands are doing.
Quiltgranny
Jan 26, 2010 Quiltgranny rated it it was amazing
This is my first "Dummies" book, and I must say I won't hesitate the next time I need an instruction book for anything. It will be a great reference resource for me to keep on my knitting shelf, and to lend to friends who need help, too.
Jasmine
Mar 27, 2012 Jasmine rated it liked it
This book was easy to understand in the way that it was written to teach a reader how to knit. I may have rated it higher except for the fact that I got it as an ebook and none of the tables showed up so I had no visuals to go by
Holly
Aug 14, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
This is one of my all-time, go-to knitting instruction reference books. Good clear diagrams and basic instruction. I taught myself to knit using this book years ago and refer back to it whenever I have a question.
Melany
Feb 09, 2013 Melany rated it really liked it
Between using this book and a couple of video tutorials on the net I've basically been able to teach myself to knit. The instructions are easy to follow, and the book does a good job with explaining different techniques so that if one doesn't work for you, you can try something different.
Lee
This was a pretty good introduction to the basic materials and techniques. I completed a simple project from the book and it turned out well. I did not read it cover to cover but will use the book for reference.
Kristine
Apr 01, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, knitting
Very helpful resource for knitting wannabes and those who are more experienced. I keep it on my shelf to refer to when stuck on a new technique or to review something I'm a bit rusty with. Would give 5 stars if, instead of paperback, was spiral bound so it would lay flat while in use!
Barbara
Jan 07, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
Received this as a gift. A decent, but not necessarily, comprehensive resource. I am surprised at how often I use it -- often, it's easier to open it up and lay it out in front of me, than to fire up the laptop :-)
Tiffany Collar
Jun 18, 2014 Tiffany Collar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
My favorite resource book for knitting. I still go back to this book when I need a refresher for how to do something. I highly recommend having it in your library at any knitting level.
Lindsay
Mar 07, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft, kindle, z2011
I got this for my kindle, and in this format the diagrams are nice and clear, as well as large enough to make sense of. The whole book is clearly written and will make a nice reference.
Gloria
Feb 07, 2011 Gloria rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Introduces basic stitches well. Just have to question why they launch you into making sweaters when it is an intro book. A scarf or a dishcloth would be more appropo for beginners.
Bellamy
Jan 06, 2012 Bellamy rated it it was amazing
i gave this book to my grandma, she burned it in the backyard. I dont get it, she said she wanted to be a real grandma to her grandchildren heh
  • Crocheting For Dummies (For Dummies (Sports & Hobbies))
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 3: Color
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting
  • Big Book of Knitting
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle; Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Knitting in America
  • Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting in Plain English
  • Mason*Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide - Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes and Pictures
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Knit Fix
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies