Start by marking “Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,677 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Developing leadership qualities in others is the way to ensure success in today's competitive world, becaue the one asset that truly appreciates within any organization is people. Systems become dated. Buildings deteriorate. machinery wears. But people can grow, develop, and become more effective if they have a leader who understands their potential value.
Published March 10th 1995 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Developing the Leaders Around You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Developing the Leaders Around You

Lauren Head
Mar 10, 2015 Lauren Head rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The following answers are from my BetterBookClub.com report for cj Advertising...

Q-Give one quote from the book that impacted your thought process and describe how.
A-“The guy who puts the ball through the hoop has ten hands.” –The Great John Wooten, UCLA’s former Basketball Coach

Q-Which co-worker would you recommend this book to?
A-I would recommend this book to any Department Head so that they can develop their team.

Q-Rate this book on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest rating.
A-I would give
Sam Pilla
Dec 01, 2012 Sam Pilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one book made a paradigmic shift on how I thought of building a team. Your team makes you so better build leaders around you.
Ryan Brink
Nov 06, 2016 Ryan Brink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive, but practical
Greg
Mar 12, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book exceeded my expectations, it really is an excellent read. Recognized as a great contributor to the field of leadership, Maxwell attempts in this book to distill the principles one should strive to exhibit as a leader, as well as behaviors that one should look for when selecting potential leaders in the future and building strong teams. The behavioral aspect is, in particular, a differentiating feature of this book. The difference between views leaders have about people is interesting. ...more
Morgan anderson
Sep 12, 2016 Morgan anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting things and good reminders but if you're looking for something life changing this book reminds me of a lot of other self-help/leadership books. It's good but it is not life changing.
Danijel Brestovac
Dec 03, 2010 Danijel Brestovac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAXWELL, John C. Postanite trener sanjskega moštva voditeljev. Ljubljana: amalietti & amalietti. 2000. ISBN 961-6235-37-0.

str. 2: voditeljeva najpomembnejša naloga je pridobitev in ohranjanje dobrih ljudi.

str. 24: 5 ravni voditeljstva: položaj, privoljenje, proizvodnja, razvoj osebja in osebnost (modrost). najnižja raven je POLOZAJ.

str. 31: uspeh ima vselej svojo ceno.

str. 55: ČE BI IMEL .............. BI ..............

str. 109: največji voditelj je pripravljen uriti druge in jih razviti
Jonathan Brooker
I've heard that Maxwell is repetitive with the content of his books, but since this was the first of his that I believe I've read I found it to be chock full of good leadership principles and lessons. I took rigorous notes throughout the book and had to go through it very slowly to really digest what he was saying so that I didn't breeze over a chapter or a section that really needed to be processed as to how I would then implement that principle in my leadership role.
5 stars typically only go
Ben Donahower
Nov 20, 2013 Ben Donahower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed John Maxwell's books. They ground you and keep you give commonsense, universal, though not necessarily groundbreaking, information on leadership, personal growth, and business.

This is my favorite of his books that I have read so far.

The idea of growing leaders who grow leaders and the practicalities of making it happen got me excited and his book left me with a lot of action steps to improve my own leadership abilities and those around me.
Skip
Oct 21, 2012 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 2013
I was inspired after reading "The 21 irrefutable laws of leadership" by John Maxwell and we had this book on the shelf. While not written as well it does hold a lot of value and I am putting the principles to work immediately. I'm looking forward to reading everything I can that John Maxwell has written.
Ashlie
I read this book for work, so I wasn't that into it in the beginning. Reading something when you are forced to read it is never as fun.

This book did have good ideas for developing leaders and lots of helpful platitudes, but nothing extraordinary or groundbreaking. If anything, the scope was too wide to be very effective.
Matthew
Jun 11, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in my seminary days, and I haven't picked it up or referenced it since (even though I knew it was a classic!)

As a leader of leaders, I especially loved the chapters on nurturing, equipping, and developing leaders.
Sergey
May 12, 2015 Sergey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the first half of this book, but the second one is all about the same idea (that is stated on the cover), so the overall is 3. However, I made lots of notes after reading this book, so the first half or 3/4 part is worth reading and it's definitely 5 stars.
Derek Emerson
I'm firmly of the belief that almost all business books should be about 50 pages long -- the rest is repetition. Maxwell has some good, if not original, things to say and gives me some ideas/incentive on what to do with "my dream team."
Mitch Miles
Jul 13, 2010 Mitch Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was one of the first leadership books I devoured early in my career. I remember listening to these principle over and over in my car as a District Manager for ADP (Automatic Data Processing).
Sujata Sahni
"Where Success is concerned, people are not measured in inches or pounds or college degrees, or family background, they are measured by the size of their thinking. How big we think determines the size of our accomplishments" David Schwartz
Deonna Moore
A great blueprint for working with and encouraging emerging leaders on your team. After reading this book, you will be able to inspire and encourage your team to step up to the plate and become leaders in their rite.
Maria
Standard leadership book. I was interesting in dividing daily tasks in to A and B categories. A builds the business/organization. B maintains it. You need B but your focus should mostly be on A.
Chris Ruby
Mar 12, 2013 Chris Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leaders of busineses and organizations who want to grow
Recommended to Chris by: Friend
Great book. Describes methods on how to empower other people in order to increase your chances of success.
Jeff
At the time of reading I remember this being a very important book as I consider how to help others grow in leadership. I have just picked it back up to review again.
Jessica
Dec 13, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: gerard
It was ok. Basically a self help book on leadership. Maxwell, brilliant as he is, bored me a little.

Oh, make that a lot.
Jose Alejandro Vega Recinos
Desarrolle los líderes que están alrededor de usted

Bastante bien el enfoque de desarrollo de las personas muy aplicable en la realidad para la formación de equipos efectivos
Sean
Jul 01, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Aonther nice book by Maxwell - again, redundant - reminders are good - but concepts are very similar to other books.
Esther Dan
Jun 25, 2015 Esther Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read about championing others around you. He also addresses how to detect burnout and to handle it immediately
Brian
Jun 30, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Maxwells better books. Poorly organized, and often the lengthy sports illustrations took up more space than the minimal practical advice in a chapter. Disappointing.
Marsha Jones
Apr 22, 2010 Marsha Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you figure out how to be a leader, this book helps you learn to build the leaders around you! I really like John Maxwell's style! May use this next with my team leaders...
Tokunbo Ige
Great insights! Very useful. I'm sure to re- read parts of it in the future. For me JM's books are good reference material.
Jodi
Aug 15, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reinforces how important mentoring, coaching and supporting are for great organizations. Some good reminders.
Nick
Jun 07, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the analogies in this book. 212 degrees compared to 213! Read it and it will all make sense!
Feb 10, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
John Maxwell's books are easy to read and understand. Great for anyone in leadership positions. Now if I could just change a little faster :)
Andrew
I just can't motivate myself to finish this book. It just doesn't really appeal to me or relate to where I'm at.
  • A Better Way to Live
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Your Personality Tree
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • Living Above The Level Of Mediocrity
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...

“Relational skills are the most important abilities in leadership.” 110 likes
“Followers tell you what you want to hear. Leaders tell you what you need to hear.” 2 likes