Start by marking “Thief” as Want to Read:
Thief

Thief

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Elizabeth is a pickpocket and thief living on the edge in New York City, torn between loyalty to her foster sister and a new boy who's recruited into their thieving ranks.

Published June 1st 2008 by Push

To ask other readers questions about Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thief

Katherine
Dec 10, 2009 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: aha
I think this one needs to be read a bit slowly. There are only so many similes a girl can take before she goes, ok we get it. Though, it gets points for the imagination it would have taken to write this. I would like to see this as a movie because of all the artistic swirls of colour that we could roll with. juxtapose, that's the word I'm looking for, nicely. enjoyed.
Roman Partlow
Thief by Brian James was an okay book. I choose this book because i thought that it would be like an action type book. It took place in Brooklyn, New York and there was three main characters in the book. Two girls and one boy.
The book was about these girls brought into a foster home and their job was to steal for their "mother." What they stole went all to the mother but sometimes they would keep a little for themselves. When a little boy came into their so called family only one girl liked him
Oct 26, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with a nose
its reeeeeeally good. the only problem is that its written kinda wierdly. Sometimes its a little hard to get, but i totally recomend it!!!! It is awesome!!!!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for TeensReadToo.com

Sure, many of us contemplated doing it as a kid... and some actually carried it out. But can you imagine stealing each and every day as a means of survival? In Brian James' novel THIEF, that is exactly how Elizabeth (also known as "Kid") lives her life, along with her foster sister, Alexi. Their foster mother, Sandra, has the system all worked out where the girls go out and bring home enough cash to support all of them.

Then a new thief comes along: more
Dannielle
Mar 18, 2015 Dannielle rated it really liked it
Decent YA book that I will likely recommend to my students
Jesse
Oct 15, 2012 Jesse rated it really liked it
The book i am currently reading is Thief by author Brain James.The genre of thief is a suspense and action fiction.I enjoy this book because the way the book starts Elizabeth the main character and is introduced by her talk she has on the street which is her personal thoughts on why she had to go through bad situations like being a foster kid and being a thief roaming around new york at 17 years old and never knowing her parents is hard for a kid so young i am interested to read more about my bo ...more
Genie Bishop
Jul 28, 2009 Genie Bishop rated it liked it
This was a very good quick read. The suspense of the story was really good. I liked this title but there was a lot of wasted words on details. I am just not a detail person when it comes to my reading. I have to admit the subject matter is depressing though, foster parents using their foster kids to make money. It does have a good ending though in my opinion.
Kamaya Smith
Jan 07, 2010 Kamaya Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: english-1
so far elizabeth is a pickpocketer. she does it for her stepmother sandra. the people came to see if the foster children were okay and offered sandra to take in a boy. she is making her deicion because she says boys are bad stealers. she says this because they cant look innocence no matter what color or anything they are.
Manisha
Sep 29, 2009 Manisha rated it it was amazing
this book was awesome! you have to read the whole thing and then reflect back to really understand what a hard time "Kid" (Elizabeth) goes through then her foster mom takes in a boy DUne and they slowly hit it off. Much to ALexis's disgust at Dune. Kid and Dune work together! They show that you must stick together!
Jill
Jan 15, 2012 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Foster care, the search for love, and an artist. This is a quick read, but the imagery requires some thought to understand. While the main story describes the tragedies of foster care, the undercurrents try to make wishes come true.

This book contains alcohol use, sex, smoking, and swearing.
Lucy-mae
Jan 18, 2013 Lucy-mae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was absolutely stunningly beautiful. So well written, Brian James can make the most tragic of things sound magic, he takes the ordinary and turns it beautiful. Thief is a brutally honest book, with everything you could ask for. His writing never ceases to amaze me.
Carrie
Aug 05, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok
Don't waste your time on this book that is trying to be "poetic," which translates into really bad young adult literature.

SO frustrated I paid money for this book!
Erika
Jun 21, 2009 Erika rated it it was amazing
I absoluteli loved this book!! I enjoyed the style it was writen in!!
Emily Shaughnessy
Aug 05, 2013 Emily Shaughnessy rated it it was amazing
loved it great book
Sarah Broz
Sarah Broz rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Salima
Salima marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Josh Gusmis
Josh Gusmis rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Delvita
Delvita marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Landon
Landon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Sarah Keller
Sarah Keller marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Kayla Cronk
Kayla Cronk marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Micah Price
Micah Price rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
  • My Father's Son
  • Poison Ink
  • Losers
  • Birth of the Pack (Weregirls, #1)
  • Cruise Control
  • The Unspoken
  • A Little Friendly Advice
  • Undone
  • Venomous
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
  • Talking In The Dark : A Poetry Memoir
  • The Last Exit to Normal
  • Complete Nothing (True Love, #2)
  • Nicholas Dane
I've written numerous children's books, including the Pirate School series and the Catkid series. I'm also the author of several novels: Pure Sunshine; Tomorrow, Maybe; Perfect World; Dirty Liar; Thief; Zombie Blondes; The Heights.

More about Brian James...