Thief

Thief

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Elizabeth is a pickpocket and thief living on the edge in New York City, torn between loyalty to her foster sister and a new boy who's recruited into their thieving ranks.

Published June 1st 2008 by Push

Katherine
I think this one needs to be read a bit slowly. There are only so many similes a girl can take before she goes, ok we get it. Though, it gets points for the imagination it would have taken to write this. I would like to see this as a movie because of all the artistic swirls of colour that we could roll with. juxtapose, that's the word I'm looking for, nicely. enjoyed.
Oct 26, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with a nose
its reeeeeeally good. the only problem is that its written kinda wierdly. Sometimes its a little hard to get, but i totally recomend it!!!! It is awesome!!!!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for TeensReadToo.com

Sure, many of us contemplated doing it as a kid... and some actually carried it out. But can you imagine stealing each and every day as a means of survival? In Brian James' novel THIEF, that is exactly how Elizabeth (also known as "Kid") lives her life, along with her foster sister, Alexi. Their foster mother, Sandra, has the system all worked out where the girls go out and bring home enough cash to support all of them.

Then a new thief comes along: more...more
Jesse
The book i am currently reading is Thief by author Brain James.The genre of thief is a suspense and action fiction.I enjoy this book because the way the book starts Elizabeth the main character and is introduced by her talk she has on the street which is her personal thoughts on why she had to go through bad situations like being a foster kid and being a thief roaming around new york at 17 years old and never knowing her parents is hard for a kid so young i am interested to read more about my bo...more
Genie Bishop
This was a very good quick read. The suspense of the story was really good. I liked this title but there was a lot of wasted words on details. I am just not a detail person when it comes to my reading. I have to admit the subject matter is depressing though, foster parents using their foster kids to make money. It does have a good ending though in my opinion.
Kamaya Smith
so far elizabeth is a pickpocketer. she does it for her stepmother sandra. the people came to see if the foster children were okay and offered sandra to take in a boy. she is making her deicion because she says boys are bad stealers. she says this because they cant look innocence no matter what color or anything they are.
Manisha
this book was awesome! you have to read the whole thing and then reflect back to really understand what a hard time "Kid" (Elizabeth) goes through then her foster mom takes in a boy DUne and they slowly hit it off. Much to ALexis's disgust at Dune. Kid and Dune work together! They show that you must stick together!
Jill
Jan 15, 2012 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Foster care, the search for love, and an artist. This is a quick read, but the imagery requires some thought to understand. While the main story describes the tragedies of foster care, the undercurrents try to make wishes come true.

This book contains alcohol use, sex, smoking, and swearing.
Lucy-mae
This book was absolutely stunningly beautiful. So well written, Brian James can make the most tragic of things sound magic, he takes the ordinary and turns it beautiful. Thief is a brutally honest book, with everything you could ask for. His writing never ceases to amaze me.
Carrie
Don't waste your time on this book that is trying to be "poetic," which translates into really bad young adult literature.

SO frustrated I paid money for this book!
Erika
I absoluteli loved this book!! I enjoyed the style it was writen in!!
Emily Shaughnessy
loved it great book
Sarinity
Sarinity marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Izabella Kornak
Izabella Kornak marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Shauna Purtell
Shauna Purtell marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Amanda Peake
Amanda Peake marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Maddie Marcus
Maddie Marcus marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Sharday Preyer
Sharday Preyer marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Leensey L.
Leensey L. marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
bahiyah jazlansanadi
bahiyah jazlansanadi is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2014
Aliesa
Aliesa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
I've written numerous children's books, including the Pirate School series and the Catkid series. I'm also the author of several novels: Pure Sunshine; Tomorrow, Maybe; Perfect World; Dirty Liar; Thief; Zombie Blondes; The Heights.

More about Brian James...
Zombie Blondes Pure Sunshine Life is But a Dream Dirty Liar Tomorrow, Maybe