Start by marking “Thief” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Elizabeth is a pickpocket and thief living on the edge in New York City, torn between loyalty to her foster sister and a new boy who's recruited into their thieving ranks.

Published June 1st 2008 by Push

To ask other readers questions about Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thief

I think this one needs to be read a bit slowly. There are only so many similes a girl can take before she goes, ok we get it. Though, it gets points for the imagination it would have taken to write this. I would like to see this as a movie because of all the artistic swirls of colour that we could roll with. juxtapose, that's the word I'm looking for, nicely. enjoyed.
Oct 26, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with a nose
its reeeeeeally good. the only problem is that its written kinda wierdly. Sometimes its a little hard to get, but i totally recomend it!!!! It is awesome!!!!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for

Sure, many of us contemplated doing it as a kid... and some actually carried it out. But can you imagine stealing each and every day as a means of survival? In Brian James' novel THIEF, that is exactly how Elizabeth (also known as "Kid") lives her life, along with her foster sister, Alexi. Their foster mother, Sandra, has the system all worked out where the girls go out and bring home enough cash to support all of them.

Then a new thief comes along: more
Decent YA book that I will likely recommend to my students
Oct 15, 2012 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars
The book i am currently reading is Thief by author Brain James.The genre of thief is a suspense and action fiction.I enjoy this book because the way the book starts Elizabeth the main character and is introduced by her talk she has on the street which is her personal thoughts on why she had to go through bad situations like being a foster kid and being a thief roaming around new york at 17 years old and never knowing her parents is hard for a kid so young i am interested to read more about my bo ...more
Genie Bishop
This was a very good quick read. The suspense of the story was really good. I liked this title but there was a lot of wasted words on details. I am just not a detail person when it comes to my reading. I have to admit the subject matter is depressing though, foster parents using their foster kids to make money. It does have a good ending though in my opinion.
Kamaya Smith
so far elizabeth is a pickpocketer. she does it for her stepmother sandra. the people came to see if the foster children were okay and offered sandra to take in a boy. she is making her deicion because she says boys are bad stealers. she says this because they cant look innocence no matter what color or anything they are.
this book was awesome! you have to read the whole thing and then reflect back to really understand what a hard time "Kid" (Elizabeth) goes through then her foster mom takes in a boy DUne and they slowly hit it off. Much to ALexis's disgust at Dune. Kid and Dune work together! They show that you must stick together!
Jan 15, 2012 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Foster care, the search for love, and an artist. This is a quick read, but the imagery requires some thought to understand. While the main story describes the tragedies of foster care, the undercurrents try to make wishes come true.

This book contains alcohol use, sex, smoking, and swearing.
This book was absolutely stunningly beautiful. So well written, Brian James can make the most tragic of things sound magic, he takes the ordinary and turns it beautiful. Thief is a brutally honest book, with everything you could ask for. His writing never ceases to amaze me.
Don't waste your time on this book that is trying to be "poetic," which translates into really bad young adult literature.

SO frustrated I paid money for this book!
I absoluteli loved this book!! I enjoyed the style it was writen in!!
Emily Shaughnessy
loved it great book
Albert marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Joey marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Safiya Sheikh
Safiya Sheikh marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Jack Munn
Jack Munn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Kalie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Shikhar Singh
Shikhar Singh marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Kara marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
  • Cruise Control
  • Poison Ink
  • The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez
  • Hex Education
  • Birth of the Pack (Weregirls, #1)
  • Undone
  • Planet Pregnancy
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • A Little Friendly Advice
  • The Unspoken
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
  • The Last Exit to Normal
  • How to Win at High School
  • Talking In The Dark : A Poetry Memoir
  • Venomous
  • Resonance (Dissonance #2)
I've written numerous children's books, including the Pirate School series and the Catkid series. I'm also the author of several novels: Pure Sunshine; Tomorrow, Maybe; Perfect World; Dirty Liar; Thief; Zombie Blondes; The Heights.

More about Brian James...