Start by marking “Essential Baby: Over 20 Handknits to Take Your Baby from First Days to First Steps” as Want to Read:

A complete knitwear collection for every new baby, this guide includes 20 must-have designs for babies ranging in age from zero to 18 months. Divided into three main sections—Coming Home, On the Go, and Downtime—the author has carefully considered the needs of any new parent and devised an assortment of essential projects for their newborn.
Published September 1st 2007 by Trafalgar Square Books

To ask other readers questions about Essential Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Baby

Jen
Sep 17, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
There are some cute patterns in this book, and I've heard that the Debbie Bliss patterns are fairly easy to understand. I'm going to be making the Hooded Carrying Bag, but there are some cute pants and a couple of sweaters that I like as well. Many of the patterns go up to 24 month sizes, which I love. I am only disappointed so far by the suggested yarns... the hooded carrying bag calls for something like 6 balls of Cashmerino Aran in cream... That's something like $60+ for a robe/blanket for a ...more
Bibliothekerin
Jul 31, 2016 Bibliothekerin rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-nf
The 'Shawl Collar Sweater' pattern is the best of the book, IMO, followed by the 'Dufflecoat' (0-12 months). The 'Shawl Collar Sweater' (3-24 mo.) is knit in Cashmerino Aran, while the 'Dufflecoat' is knit in Rialto DK.
The 'Pinafore Dress' is forgettable--plebeian compared to Bliss's other 'Pinafore' Dresses. (I wish she would try to come up with more original names to differentiate among the many with the same title.)
Kathy
Mar 06, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathy by: kvbucci@yahoo.com
great basic patterns for babies using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Baby yarn. I have only made the Crossover top, but plan on making the "pants to match". Pretty good reference, only I always adapt Debbie Bliss patterns to knit in the round instead of flat.
Erynn Ahern
Nov 08, 2012 Erynn Ahern rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
Cute patterns, but all patterns are knit flat which creates a huge amount of fairly unnecessary seaming. Why modern baby clothing patterns aren't all done in the round is beyond me.
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2007
Jo Harvey
Jo Harvey rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Aquit
Aquit rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2009
Sara Clemenson
Sara Clemenson rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2009
Frieda Jacobson
Frieda Jacobson rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2012
Rebecca
Feb 21, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book for beginners. I plan on making many of the projects in this book.
Megan Ratcliffe
Megan Ratcliffe rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Louisa
Louisa rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
Ketzia Betancourt
Ketzia Betancourt rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2009
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2009
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2009
Danine
Danine rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2007