Start by marking “Thunder & Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Thunder & Sunshine

Thunder & Sunshine

Alistair Humphreys cycled around the world—a journey of 46,000 miles. Thisinspiringstorytraces the second leg of his travels—the length of South and North America, the breadth of Asia and back across Europe, crossing the mountains and salt-flats of South America, canoeing the Five-Finger Rapids of the Yukon River, and braving a Siberian Winter with only the flimsiest tent ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Thunder & Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder & Sunshine

Full Tilt by Dervla MurphyMiles from Nowhere by Barbara SavageThunder & Sunshine by Alastair HumphreysMoods Of Future Joys by Alastair HumphreysCatfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham
Bike Travel
3rd out of 41 books — 24 voters
Miles from Nowhere by Barbara SavageHell on Two Wheels by Amy SnyderBe Brave, Be Strong by Jill HomerBicycle Diaries by David ByrneThe Lost Cyclist by David V. Herlihy
Bike Books
11th out of 60 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Astratow
Jan 02, 2015 Astratow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angielskie, podr-e
I have read Lilwal's book and "Moods of Joy", which is a first part of Humpreys saga. I must admit that Thunder and Sunshine is better in all counts, it contains more pages, some maps, language is more developed and read more pleasant.
Humpreys saga is not only really travel around the world but as well or perhaps most, great trip inside himself. He is not most beautiful character in the world, but he is trying to be honest. He is selfish, stubborn, egocentric, spoiled English boy. But he doesn't
Paul
Sep 10, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Humphreys' first book, Moods of Future Joys, he describes his journey by bike through Europe with the intention of going through Asia. 9/11 changed everything, so he cycled all the way down through Africa instead. This is the account of the second half of monumental ride around the world. First, though, he needs a boat, not a bike. Securing a passage on a sailing boat as a crew member, he departs from Cape Town, next stop Rio.

He travels down to the very south of the country and begins his jo
Gonçalo Peres
Jul 01, 2014 Gonçalo Peres rated it it was amazing
The first part was so good, luckily there is a second part, with much more pages and as good as the first book. Like I said in the first part review (Moods of Future Joy), this is the best cycle-touring book i've read so far. Very well written and balanced. Dramatic, funny, real, adventurous, courageous, inspiring. Well done Alastair.
Christine Baese
Jul 13, 2014 Christine Baese rated it really liked it
I enjoy travel memoirs, and this is a good one. While the writer raises mine for a couple of charities, that is brought to light only (a bit clumsily) toward the end of the book.

Humphreys does good work putting the reader on the seat of his bike, or at least watching over his shoulder. During some of the chapters, I could not help but wonder at his physical comfort and the toll the ride was taking on his body. While he talks about the rigors of riding, he rarely mentioned how he felt physically
Joseph
This second book chronicling the adventures of Alastair Humphreys as he cycles around the world is even better than the first. Humphreys really grew as a writer. The style is much improved, as is his descriptive ability.

Picking up where the previous book left off, Humphreys grabs a racing yacht headed to Argentina from South Africa, crossing the Atlantic before winding down in Patagonia to begin his ride back home. It was fascinating to read about his encounters as he wended through Argentina a
Shane
Oct 30, 2011 Shane rated it it was amazing
Wow... another great book by Alastair Humphreys. This is quite an epic follow up to the first epic book! Anyone interested in travel and adventure should read these. I kept wanting to go out for a ride whenever I picked it up!
Anthony
May 07, 2008 Anthony rated it it was amazing
One of the best adventure travel books I've read. Great followup to his first book, Moods of Future Joy, which is also a great book. Both books inspire one to seek out more adventure & travel.
Liam Proven
Dec 29, 2013 Liam Proven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two of Humphreys' journey picks up directly where one left off. It describes the joys of a trans-Atlantic yacht journey. He arrives in Rio and takes a bus to Tierra del Fuego, so that he can cycle the entire length of south America, heading up the west coast and the Andes.

This is a different Al Humphreys. His first year on the road has made him grow. He is more confident as a writer and as a lone traveller. There is much less crying – although still a little – and his cultural references a
Adam
Mar 27, 2016 Adam rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books of all time, charts on mans brilliant journey around the world on his bike over several years. This book is extremely well written and engaging but it's true strength is its honesty and the way it present the good amongst humanity all around the world.
Syed Zohaib
Oct 20, 2015 Syed Zohaib rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just love this book. Definitely one of my favourites. Its part two of Alastair Humphrey's journey around the world. Easy read and highly enjoyable. Its a must for people into travel books. The writer is a genuine person who expresses his emotions beautifully. The prose is so wonderful it makes you feel as if you are on a journey with the author. I remember being stupefied and mesmerized by the magic of this books for weeks after I finished it.

5/5 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Mark Bell
Jan 08, 2012 Mark Bell rated it it was amazing
A great story of an epic journey. There is a challenge to read this book and not mentally plan your own trip. (I've daydreamed of weeks around Europe and across America since starting this book - both huge contrasts to the 150 miles weekend trips I took in my teens)

I admire the bravery required to set-out on this trip, the discipline to stick at it through the mishap, discomfort and -40 degrees C of Siberia. And I bow to the effort required to complete the trip. There are still a significant nu
Lisa Edwards
Jun 30, 2015 Lisa Edwards rated it it was amazing
Like all great travel books, you never want the journey to end. The second part of Alastair Humphreys' tale of cycling around the world in four years. Incredible.
Mr. Wakiki
Jan 19, 2016 Mr. Wakiki rated it really liked it
the chapters are essays -- not in a linear way, but very interesting
Neil Peet
Jun 19, 2015 Neil Peet rated it liked it
Not written as well as the first part but still an incredible story.
Theja Putta
I don't know if it is the writing or his journey, but as I kept reading, it felt like I was actually there at some point. Laughing when he mentions a good thing and being sad when something bad happens. I took so much time reading it (over 6 months). It is one of those books that you don't want to rush into, reading it when I felt like and I'm glad I did it that way.
Sarah Doolan appleby
Dec 07, 2012 Sarah Doolan appleby rated it it was amazing
A stunning documentary of the adventure of a lifetime. Alistair's views and observations of the cultures and people he meets are really fulfilling to read. Just deep enough to make one feel like a better person and easy enough to process before bedtime. Entertained from the start and I didn't want it to end... Much like Alistair.
Peter Dickerson
Apr 29, 2016 Peter Dickerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read.

The second half of a true round the world cycle trip. This included:
- Patagonia to Alaska - an 18 month ride
- Siberia in Winter
- Japan
- China
- West Asia
- Europe
- Back to England after over 4 years on the road.

A truly heroic, epic and inspiring story.
John
Jun 16, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book, every bit as good as the first. He is brutally honest about the places he travels through as well as his own failings. Aside from that, he puts a human face on the planet as he cuts through the bs that is often portrayed in the media.
Peter
Aug 03, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it
This is about a British guy who takes four years to cycle around the world. Tickles my adventurous yearnings.
Dom
Apr 17, 2012 Dom rated it really liked it
A great part two to Moods of Future Joy focusing on his journey after Africa. An inspiring read.
Andrew Gills
It was what it was. Alastair Humphreys writes a good tale of his adventures.
Laird Dinsmore
Jun 19, 2013 Laird Dinsmore rated it really liked it
Yep ..... full marks for this. Just wanted to keep turning the pages.
Angie
Jan 11, 2011 Angie added it
Shelves: travel
Inspiring journey of endurance. Read aloud and loved it.
Andy

Rob Brethouwer
May 16, 2011 Rob Brethouwer rated it it was amazing
A perfect book.
Domenico Bonavena
Domenico Bonavena marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Antti
Antti rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Marc Mims
Marc Mims rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
  • Cycling Home From Siberia
  • The Man Who Cycled The World
  • Her Name Was Lola
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
  • Farewell But Not Goodbye
  • Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing
  • The Lonely Planet Story: Once While Travelling
  • Orwell in Spain: The Full Text of Homage to Catalonia, with Associated Articles, Reviews and Letters from the Complete Works of George Orwell
  • One Man and His Bike
  • Walking the Amazon: 860 Days. The Impossible Task. The Incredible Journey
  • Into Thick Air: Biking to the Bellybutton of Six Continents
  • Let Our Fame Be Great: Journeys Among the Defiant People of the Caucasus
  • The Nowhere Men
  • Women's Barracks
  • Launching The Innovation Renaissance: A New Path to Bring Smart Ideas to Market Fast
  • I Was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space v.1 #1
  • First Aid Manual: The Authorised Manual of St John Ambulance, St. Andrews Ambulance Association and the British Red Cross