Start by marking “How to Wow: Proven Strategies for Presenting Your Ideas, Persuading Your Audience, and Perfecting Your Image” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
“The invaluable advice in How to Wow guarantees your success in any meeting situation, from the boardroom to the breakfast table.”
–Keith Ferrazzi, author of Never Eat Alone

In today’s fast-paced world, where an elevator ride with your CEO can turn into an impromptu meeting, your lunch date can become a job interview, and your conversation at a cocktail party may be a preamb
Published April 29th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How to Wow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Wow

Lynecia
Jan 31, 2013 Lynecia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: empowerment
Solid book with solid tips.
I advise taking it one chapter a time and taking notes - though each chapter is divided into bite sized essays, it can still be a lot to take in.
Definitely a good primer - the author gives great ways to enhance your presentation abilities - I definitely recommend further reading to delve deeper into each area that is outlined here.
Ron
Apr 30, 2009 Ron rated it it was ok
Same as every other book on the subject.
John McPhee
Oct 26, 2009 John McPhee rated it liked it
lots o' great ideas ... and easy to read
Alex
May 31, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing book. It help motivate my desire to improve myself and give myself an accurate representation of what I could already do. Anyone looking for a push in the right direction when you are uncertain on how to sell yourself, read this. It also has an amazing list of recommended reads in the back.
Gumby
Jun 03, 2009 Gumby rated it really liked it
This book was a selection of my OWL (Organization of Women Leaders) book club. I would recommend this book for anyone who is trying to figure out how to get a leg up. I actually copied a page on being nervous and sent it to my 17-year old nephew's girlfriend because it spoke right to the conversation we had waiting on the ladies' room line at the Brooklyn Bridge Starbucks. That message was about embracing nervousness, but there were many other tips and approaches to most of our common pitfalls. ...more
Unwisely
Nov 13, 2012 Unwisely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, career
My library didn't have the book I was looking for, so I ended up with this one. It really hit the spot for me - very readable, usable advice that helped me both with phone interviews and the presentation I had to give as part of an in-person interview.

It's broken into bite-sized chunks, so it can be read in small snatches of time. The chapters are thematic, so you can go back and look at whatever's relevant to what you are doing at the time.

She might not be for everyone, but it was just what I
Jon Port
Middleweight 'Emily Post' for social business situations and presentations.
Bradley Lock
Aug 04, 2015 Bradley Lock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really got some solid tips that wow me! But some tips are rather not that wowing as the others. A good read still!
Sam
Jul 05, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a lot of useful advice on everything from how to present yourself to how to create a memorable presentation. The content is roughly divided into sections (e.g., interviews, presentations, etc.), and interspersed with shorter anecdotes. Although many of the suggestions are geared towards business, you can apply the lessons more broadly. Some comments are strange, but I definitely plan on consulting the book before my next interview.
Elision
Dec 03, 2009 Elision rated it really liked it
I checked this out at the library, but I plan to buy it. It's a good resource for presenting yourself or a topic in a professional setting. There are concrete examples and language tools to use to help you out of sticky situations, and the author has a friendly/amusing writing style that makes it a fast read. If you have to do public speaking or presentations of any kind (for work or fun), I'd recommend this book.
Josh
Sep 25, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: businessy, jones
A useful business book. I skipped most of the section on interviewing as I found it to be obvious, but the rest of the book is filled with helpful facts and nuggets of advice that are easily applicable in our day-to-day communication. A favorite quote:

Aristotle: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit.”
Kristi
Jun 01, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This book defines how to put your best foot forward. From powerpoint to resume pointers, Ms. Jones delivers the tools that everyone should have in the toolbelt, if they want to impress anyone...anywhere..all the time.
Gregory
Jul 29, 2008 Gregory rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the library but it will be one I will be purchasing! Bite sized nuggets of practical wisdom that you can use to make your formal and informal presentations much better.
George Miller
Oct 15, 2013 George Miller rated it liked it
Best advice: before sending a letter or email that could cause ripples, ask yourself the HALT question. Am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired. If the answer is yes to any, DO NOT send.
Katherine
Jul 30, 2010 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Targeted and useful advice for anyone who wants to improve their personal brand in all situations and interaction. Easy, accessible essay format. This is a great read.
Patricia
Mar 01, 2009 Patricia rated it really liked it
If you teach public speaking this book has some great ideas to use. While the focus of the book is business settings it is easily translated to any settings.
Jessica
Jun 23, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career-business
Really great book for honing your presentation skills. I enjoyed the sections about both written and verbal communication skills.
Melissa
This book is so chock-full of helpful tidbits I ended up purchasing a copy (I'm a faithful patron of the local public library).
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing-tools
A should-read book on marketing tools for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Mark Frisk
igetmisty
Nov 20, 2010 igetmisty rated it it was amazing
A very helpful book! Can't wait to try out her tips in my daily work life.
Olive Thomas
Feb 24, 2013 Olive Thomas rated it really liked it
EXCELLENT book! Great for visual thinkers - lots of lists and quotes.
Scott Scanlon
May 19, 2010 Scott Scanlon rated it really liked it
Good concise book, got a few great insights from it.
Bryan
Mar 15, 2009 Bryan rated it it was amazing
I liked this one. Great read for speakers.
Kaity
Aug 18, 2009 Kaity rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Sónia
Sónia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Tl Lynn
Tl Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Anthony Meals
Anthony Meals marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Dimiter
Dimiter marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Covert Persuasion: Psychological Tactics and Tricks to Win the Game
  • Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer
  • Survival of the Savvy: High-Integrity Political Tactics for Career and Company Success
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Games Mother Never Taught You
  • Maxwell 3-in1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude,Developing the Leaders Around You,Becoming a Person of Influence
  • AdWords For Dummies
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The Simplicity Reader: Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down & Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Write the Perfect Book Proposal: 10 That Sold and Why