Start by marking “How to Wow: Proven Strategies for Presenting Your Ideas, Persuading Your Audience, and Perfecting Your Image” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  22 reviews
“The invaluable advice in How to Wow guarantees your success in any meeting situation, from the boardroom to the breakfast table.”
–Keith Ferrazzi, author of Never Eat Alone

In today’s fast-paced world, where an elevator ride with your CEO can turn into an impromptu meeting, your lunch date can become a job interview, and your conversation at a cocktail party may be a preamb
Published April 29th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How to Wow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Wow

Lynecia
Solid book with solid tips.
I advise taking it one chapter a time and taking notes - though each chapter is divided into bite sized essays, it can still be a lot to take in.
Definitely a good primer - the author gives great ways to enhance your presentation abilities - I definitely recommend further reading to delve deeper into each area that is outlined here.
Ron
Same as every other book on the subject.
John McPhee
lots o' great ideas ... and easy to read
Gumby
This book was a selection of my OWL (Organization of Women Leaders) book club. I would recommend this book for anyone who is trying to figure out how to get a leg up. I actually copied a page on being nervous and sent it to my 17-year old nephew's girlfriend because it spoke right to the conversation we had waiting on the ladies' room line at the Brooklyn Bridge Starbucks. That message was about embracing nervousness, but there were many other tips and approaches to most of our common pitfalls. ...more
Unwisely
My library didn't have the book I was looking for, so I ended up with this one. It really hit the spot for me - very readable, usable advice that helped me both with phone interviews and the presentation I had to give as part of an in-person interview.

It's broken into bite-sized chunks, so it can be read in small snatches of time. The chapters are thematic, so you can go back and look at whatever's relevant to what you are doing at the time.

She might not be for everyone, but it was just what I
Sam
This book contains a lot of useful advice on everything from how to present yourself to how to create a memorable presentation. The content is roughly divided into sections (e.g., interviews, presentations, etc.), and interspersed with shorter anecdotes. Although many of the suggestions are geared towards business, you can apply the lessons more broadly. Some comments are strange, but I definitely plan on consulting the book before my next interview.
Elision
I checked this out at the library, but I plan to buy it. It's a good resource for presenting yourself or a topic in a professional setting. There are concrete examples and language tools to use to help you out of sticky situations, and the author has a friendly/amusing writing style that makes it a fast read. If you have to do public speaking or presentations of any kind (for work or fun), I'd recommend this book.
Josh
A useful business book. I skipped most of the section on interviewing as I found it to be obvious, but the rest of the book is filled with helpful facts and nuggets of advice that are easily applicable in our day-to-day communication. A favorite quote:

Aristotle: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit.”
Kristi
This book defines how to put your best foot forward. From powerpoint to resume pointers, Ms. Jones delivers the tools that everyone should have in the toolbelt, if they want to impress anyone...anywhere..all the time.
Gregory
I got this book from the library but it will be one I will be purchasing! Bite sized nuggets of practical wisdom that you can use to make your formal and informal presentations much better.
George Miller
Best advice: before sending a letter or email that could cause ripples, ask yourself the HALT question. Am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired. If the answer is yes to any, DO NOT send.
Katherine
Targeted and useful advice for anyone who wants to improve their personal brand in all situations and interaction. Easy, accessible essay format. This is a great read.
Patricia
If you teach public speaking this book has some great ideas to use. While the focus of the book is business settings it is easily translated to any settings.
Jessica
Really great book for honing your presentation skills. I enjoyed the sections about both written and verbal communication skills.
Melissa
This book is so chock-full of helpful tidbits I ended up purchasing a copy (I'm a faithful patron of the local public library).
Lori Grant
A should-read book on marketing tools for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Mark Frisk
igetmisty
A very helpful book! Can't wait to try out her tips in my daily work life.
Olive Thomas
EXCELLENT book! Great for visual thinkers - lots of lists and quotes.
Scott Scanlon
Good concise book, got a few great insights from it.
Bryan
I liked this one. Great read for speakers.
Kaity
Excellent!
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Madalina
Madalina marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kady
Kady marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Marina Schmidt
Marina Schmidt marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Andreea
Andreea marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • Covert Persuasion: Psychological Tactics and Tricks to Win the Game
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • Maxwell 3-In1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude, Developing the Leaders Around You, Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Forgive for Good: A Proven Prescription for Health and Happiness
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • The Simplicity Reader: Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down & Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • God in the Alley: Being and Seeing Jesus in a Broken World
  • Optimal Thinking: How to Be Your Best Self
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion
The Wow Factor: The 33 Things You Must (and Must Not) Do to Guarantee Your Edge in Today's Business World