Start by marking “A Visual History of the English Bible: The Tumultuous Tale of the World's Bestselling Book” as Want to Read:

With a full color layout and over one hundred illustrations, A Visual History of the English Bible covers the fascinating journey of the Bible from the pulpit to the people. Renowned biblical scholar Donald L. Brake invites readers to explore the process of transformation from medieval manuscripts to the contemporary translations of our day. Along the way, readers will mee ...more
Published September 15th 2008 by Baker Books (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Visual History of the English Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Visual History of the English Bible

Cathy
May 18, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! Some of my thoughts here... thoughtsonbookss.blogspot.com/2012/06...
Warren
Jan 16, 2011 Warren rated it it was amazing
a gripping story of the history of the Bible with wonderful anecdotes from the author's journey to satisfy his hunger to collect the rarest of rare Bibles!
Mark Jr.
Sep 16, 2011 Mark Jr. rated it really liked it
Donald Brake provides a very interesting and engaging perspective on old English Bibles: he collects them. A Visual History of the English Bible is one of the most attractive books you could read on this subject, because full-color pictures of his own collection fill the glossy pages. More pictures—of frontispieces, long-dead translators, and ancient manuscripts—also fill the beautiful pages.

The text accompanying the pictures tells the whole story of the English Bible beginning with its most imp
Thomas
Nov 19, 2008 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible
This book comes highly recommended, by who? by me! Dr. Brake does an excellent job narrating the path of the English bible as he covers such characters as wycliffe, Guntenberg, Tyndale, Eramus, Cranmer, Coverdale, and many others. He goes into great detail of the path the bible took as it was translated from the Latin Vulgate into English. What makes this book five stars rather than just four is the excellent photographs of originals, fascimiles, and beatiful illuminated bibles. Also Dr. Brake i ...more
Sean Durity
Jan 07, 2014 Sean Durity rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A very interesting and in-depth tour through all kinds of editions of the English Bible. The author, through several personal sidebars, shows his own fascination with acquiring these texts. He is no casual reporter. He is a fan (in the best sense). His passion for the Word shows through.

More than a timeline of events and editions, Brake gives good context to the "whys" of the major editions. He includes lots of fun facts and anecdotes. Occasionally, he is too excited about the details and forget
Cbarrett
Jan 25, 2011 Cbarrett rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book on the history of the English Bible. Brake is a rare Bible collector and includes interesting stories about how he procured some of his favorite copies. And as the title suggests, this is a visual history. And no matter how old you are, pictures make some books better. In this book you will get a glance at the progress of the English Reformation as it coincides with the accessibility of Scripture in the common tongue. He concludes with a comparison and evaluation of th ...more
Lisa Vincent
Jan 29, 2013 Lisa Vincent rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what it actually took to get the Bible translated into English. The number of men through time is also a future study. It has given me an appreciation for the people who have gone before, and only a snapshot of history. Nevertheless, very much intriguing. I've been gathering different Bibles ever since checking editions and dates of publication. This guy is a high price Bible collecter. Do you have a very old family Bible in your house? Wish I did.
Kris
Jan 18, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it
It's a good thing this book stresses that it's a visual history because the narration rambles in parts, isn't always clear, and sometimes delves into the authors passion for bible collecting. However, this book does whet the appetite to go online and do a little research about the people who brought us our modern day bible at great sacrifice, and it displays the beauty of the ancient texts. Good one to check out from the library.
Dave
Apr 13, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this book enough. Lots of pictures, interesting stories of all the contributors from Wycliffe to Tynale to KJV on up to the modern versions. Even gives some great insight as to how the various modern translations (NKJV, NIV, NASB, etc) arrive at their various differences. Did I mention there's lots of pictures? Artsy pages from the 15-1700s. Fine stuff.
Bonnie
Sep 17, 2016 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been curious about how the Bible was translated into the English language. I had no idea that there were people who had given so much of themselves, even unto death. I can now pick up my Bible and think how possible it was that no translations had ever been done. It is indeed a precious book inspired by God.
Jared A
Jan 04, 2017 Jared A rated it it was amazing
Though it took longer to read than I wanted, I love this topic and can't get enough of it. The longish timeframe to read it all had more to do with me struggling to digest it all than with the book itself.
John Jeffcoat iii
Sep 24, 2012 John Jeffcoat iii rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated with many full color photos; this is a wonderfully comprehensive and interesting history of how we got the Bible in the English language. My website at www.GREATSITE.com discusses this, but for a more detailed examination, this book is highly recommended.
Adrienne Early
Jan 17, 2017 Adrienne Early rated it it was amazing
I had to read this for school. If you are interested in the history of the Bible, it's a FABULOUS resource! I've never been big on history, but learned many new things from this text. Some of them were quite fascinating!
William Dicks
Very good introduction the the history of the Bible. I would recommend it to anyone interested in history.
Lisa Cline
Aug 03, 2011 Lisa Cline rated it it was amazing
I spent last summer reading through and taking notes on this book....so much good info!!!
Amanda Witt
A very descriptive book of how the Bible as we know it, came into existence through the concerted efforts of a few people in the 15-1600's, and its subsequent revisions.
David Lehr
David Lehr rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2013
Daniel Stanley
Daniel Stanley rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2011
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2011
Andrea Engle
Andrea Engle rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Gary Frothingham
Gary Frothingham rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2013
Paul Kurtz
Paul Kurtz rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Tyler Wallick
Tyler Wallick rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2017
TurtleneckGirl
TurtleneckGirl rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2008
Mick
Mick rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2009
John Powell
John Powell rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2012