Start by marking “The Secret of the Golden Flower: The Classical Chinese Book of Life” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Golden Flower: The Classical Chinese Book of Life

The Secret of the Golden Flower: The Classical Chinese Book of Life

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is a translation of T'ai-i chin-hua tsung-chih, a late 18th-century Chinese meditation text falsely attributed to the shadowy 9th-century figure Lü Yen. A late expression of Chin-tan ("Golden Elixir") Taoism, it teaches manipulation of internal forces ("light") to achieve revitalization and spiritual rebirth. The work became famous in the West when Richard Wilhelm tra...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 160 pages
Published March 12th 1993 by HarperOne (first published December 31st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Golden Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Golden Flower

Peter Todesco
The best translation of this great mystical classic! It changed my life forever. I am working now as meditation teacher and therefore I created a new transcription: the extremely valuable explanations and comments by Thomas Cleary are placed now following the original text directly after each section as footnote. This helps incredibly the immediate understanding of this practice! ( contact me if you are interested - peter@todesco.com - www.petertodesco.ch ) My transcription can help you for the...more
Jeannette
This is a collection of the teachings of Taoism in
the form of poetry. It is written beautifully and the teachings still apply to life today. It is available at the Geisel library. I remember that when I carried this book around with me, strangers would start conversations with me about the book, and more than once, I was asked if that was the first book I had read on Taoism. What I learned from this book: It is ok to just simply be.
Corbin
Not bad as a meditation manual and all, but Jiminy Cricket, people!

...Trying to find workable English/Chinese translations is like reclining in a lawnchair next to collapsing train tracks with popcorn in one hand and a time dilation device in the other, listening for the impending whistles and bells.
Stephen Dorman
Worth it for the articulation of the Host/Guest alone (which is in the Afterword). Cleary's knowledge and experience of Zen and Taoist praxis informs his "notes" and they are an invaluable guide to the text itself.

A true classic of simplicity.
The poetry and symbolism in this ancient text shed light in my life during a shadowy time. Real transformational symbolism.
Scott
Great little manual of meditation and philosophy. Each time you read it you are sure to discover something new.
Guy
I've found that Thomas Cleary's translation to be lacking in vitality.
Barrett  Dylan Brown
Jul 21, 2008 Barrett Dylan Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Seekers on The Path.
Mmmmmmm. Spiritual.
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Niklas
Niklas marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Birgit Coleman
Birgit Coleman marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Franta
Franta marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Julie Teresa
Julie Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
mark
mark marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Essential Tao The I Ching or Book of Changes The Essential Koran The Essential Confucius The Blue Cliff Record