Start by marking “The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer (Lewis Barnavelt, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer (Lewis Barnavelt, #12)

The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer (Lewis Barnavelt #12)

Lewis's hopes for a peaceful summer vacation are shattered as one accident after another plagues him. Is all his bad luck really just a coincidence? Or does it have something to do with the mysterious hooded figure he keeps seeing?
Published October 16th 2008 by Dial (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer

Christiane
Jan 14, 2013 Christiane rated it liked it
Not the best in the series but these are a guilty pleasure for me so I read them all anyway. The very best are the original books by John Bellairs (for example, The House With a Clock In Its Walls) but Brad Strickland does a good job duplicating the feel of these scary but ultimately safe (the action pauses for everyone to have milk and chocolate cake) mysteries.
Justin  K. Rivers
Nov 25, 2011 Justin K. Rivers rated it really liked it
I can't say it's great, but it's Strickland's strongest outing in a long while. This novel explores the magic angle a bit more, clearly responding to Harry Potter. Uncle Jonathan has an interesting part to play, and there is a twist ending that works very well. The resolution feels earned and at-home.

This is the last entry in the Lewis Barnavelt series to date. And although Strickland has done some good things with the series, and delivered an exciting tale in this outing, my ambivalence about
Mukta Mohapatra
Sep 08, 2010 Mukta Mohapatra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so grateful that Brad Strickland is continuing to write for my favorite childhood literary characters.
Lewis Barnavelt once again finds himself in trouble because of his naivete. While the book was a little more emotional than the writings of John Bellairs, I was happy to read about their continued adventures.
Cathy Hall
Mar 29, 2010 Cathy Hall rated it really liked it
Okay, this really wasn't that scary. But I liked the characters-actually, I loved the characters. And I could see where this would appeal to 4th or 5th graders who like scary stuff, but not too scary. And I kinda liked the old-fashioned flavor.
Reita
Jan 26, 2009 Reita rated it it was ok
Truly a juvenile fiction book. I thought there would be more mystery, more magic, more story line. It was ok but I doubt I'll read any of the other Bellairs mysteries.
Kimberly
Aug 25, 2009 Kimberly marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
Oh my gosh, I totally thought that Brad Strickland had stopped writing this series! I can't wait to read this one and the rest of the ones that I've missed!
Erin
Jun 30, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, young-adult, 2014
What a great book to end the series with. I'm just sad that the series is done with, I really loved these books and the characters.
Polly
Nov 28, 2011 Polly rated it liked it
Neither the best nor the worst of Brad Strickland's attempts to continue the legacy of John Bellairs.
Iwaswondering
Iwaswondering rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2008
Jill
Jan 17, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
Interesting, yet, odd!
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Matthew Dame-Brusie
Matthew Dame-Brusie rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2013
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Kate Mowery
Kate Mowery rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2009
Dan Poblocki
Dan Poblocki rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2010
Doreen
Doreen rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Wendy Jaehnig
Wendy Jaehnig rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
David Chamberlain
David Chamberlain rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Ash Anjinsan
Ash Anjinsan rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2009
Jan Yip
Jan Yip rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2010
Winston Smith
Winston Smith rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Brendan
Brendan rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2015
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Doom of the Haunted Opera (Lewis Barnavelt, #6)
  • Second Sight
  • The Enchanter Reborn
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle
  • American Revolution (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #11)
William Bradley Strickland (b. 1947) is the author (or co-author) of over 60 novels and over 60 pieces of short fiction and poetry.

Born in New Hollard, Strickland earned his Ph.D. in American literature from the University of Georgia. He has taught English courses at the University of Georgia, Oglethorpe University, Truett-McConnell College, and, since 1987, at Gainesville State College.

His first
More about Brad Strickland...

Lewis Barnavelt (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Figure in the Shadows (Lewis Barnavelt, #2)
  • The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring (Lewis Barnavelt, #3)
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • The Vengeance of the Witch-Finder (Lewis Barnavelt, #5)
  • The Doom of the Haunted Opera (Lewis Barnavelt, #6)
  • The Specter from the Magician's Museum (Lewis Barnavelt, #7)
  • The Beast Under the Wizard's Bridge (Lewis Barnavelt, #8)
  • The Tower at the End of the World (Lewis Barnavelt, #9)
  • The Whistle, the Grave, and the Ghost (Lewis Barnavelt, #10)