Start by marking “The Maverick Room: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Maverick Room: Poems

The Maverick Room: Poems

With its defiance for any one tradition or voice, Thomas Sayers Ellis's debut becomes a powerful argument against monotony

A dream. A democracy. A savage liberty.
And yet another anthem and yet another heaven
and yet another party wants you.
Wants you wants you wants you.
—from "Groovallegiance"

In one poem, Thomas Sayers Ellis prognosticates, "Pretty soon, the Age of the Tal
Published January 1st 2005 by Graywolf Press

To ask other readers questions about The Maverick Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maverick Room

Patrick Duggan
Jul 12, 2007 Patrick Duggan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Jazz had its army of poems and poets. Hip-hop has its army of poems and poets. In Thomas Sayers Ellis' Maverick Room, funk finally gets its due. He brings the scene and memory of growing up impoverished in Washington D.C. in the shadow of the White House in the richest country on Earth, and pairs that youth with a rhythm and verse of political and neighborhood lyric with a bass line meter and soaring guitar breaks.

The beauty and fire of The Maverick Room doesn't stop there, however. Ellis moves
S. Donovan
Mar 30, 2008 S. Donovan rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Sayers Ellis grew up in Washington, DC in the era of Watergate, Vietnam, and Home Rule. He notes that "if poets are made up of the voices they hear, [his:] would be Richard Nixon's." Sayers Ellis studied here in the Northeast. One of his noted accomplishments was to found the Dark Room Collective, a group of African-American writers living communally in a house on Inman Street in Cambridge.

Sayers Ellis is a poet who turns musical scores into words and phrases with his pen. His work lives on rhy
Craig Werner
Jul 20, 2012 Craig Werner rated it really liked it
Really good first book. I'd definitely like to hear it read aloud, but it comes from an African American musical tradition I'm familiar enough with to take it at least part way to the stage. Ellis structures the book around the quadrants of his hometown Washington D.C. with a central section, same title as the book, on the clubs that bring the tribes together. I love the P-Funk references--Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadooloops (take that, spell check) to the Thumpasaurus People.

Ellis is to funk wh
Cedric
Sep 27, 2009 Cedric rated it liked it
I learned a lot about DC, the members of P-Funk and random black intelligensia/literati from googling the people the poems were dedicated to. It took me longer to do that (being a nerd) than it did to read the book. I think this book might get a higher rating from a fan of the music TSE's a fan of, or a DC native; I'd certainly recommend the book. I happen to love this dude personally- he is the coolest MF I have probably ever met and I give HIM 5 stars. Can't wait for the next book.
E. T. Brother
Feb 02, 2016 E. T. Brother rated it liked it
So so
Allison
Apr 26, 2010 Allison rated it liked it
I think I need to hear these read aloud. I had trouble hearing them in my brain by only reading them. Loved the content of the poems & politics behind them, but had trouble connecting with the form itself. Educate me, plz! How should I read these?
Roberto Garcia
Aug 14, 2012 Roberto Garcia rated it it was amazing
Groovy, musical and journeylicious. The poems about Go-Go musicians and Go-Go history are mesmerizing. A great read.
Christina Marie
Jan 25, 2008 Christina Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, my-professor
Too impersonal. Too thought out. Give us some heart Thomas, even if you don't use the word, use the organ a bit.
Sidik Fofana
Nov 04, 2011 Sidik Fofana rated it really liked it
SIX WORD REVIEW: Black and Hip-Hop in DC's backyard.
Chase Berggrun
Jul 27, 2008 Chase Berggrun rated it it was amazing
Just finished a workshop with this man: awesome!
Katie
Jun 16, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
Infiltrated by jazz.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2016
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Michael Feehly
Michael Feehly marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Aaron Searcy
Aaron Searcy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Drew Cunningham
Drew Cunningham rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Emmie Bristow
Emmie Bristow marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Matt Ruggiero
Matt Ruggiero rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Dilis
Dilis added it
Jan 17, 2016
Adrian Ngai
Adrian Ngai rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Wendy Ortiz
Wendy Ortiz marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Igor
Igor rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Angel Hernandez
Angel Hernandez rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Zach Agnew
Zach Agnew rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Poetry Readers Ch...: The Maverick Room by Thomas Sayers Ellis 4 26 Mar 15, 2013 04:33AM
  • Fragment of the Head of a Queen: Poems
  • The Age of Huts (compleat)
  • Sleeping With the Dictionary