Start by marking “The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks” as Want to Read:
The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks

The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Dale DeGroff is widely regarded as the world’s foremost mixologist. Hailed by the New York Times as “single-handedly responsible for what’s been called the cocktail renaissance,” he earned this reputation during his twelve years at the fashionable Promenade Bar in New York City’s Rainbow Room. It was there in 1987 that he not only reintroduced the cocktail menu to the coun ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Cocktail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Cocktail

Walt Falconer

Beautifully done in both material and layout,this is bound to be a must have classic tome on mixology.While it covers only about 500 recipes,it covers 500 worthwhile or essential(hence the title)cocktails, all well worthy of inclusion in a cocktail reference book - not just a compendium of every drink ever concocted (for better or worse). Almost every drink is given a short but interesting history/intro, then ingredients, directions, and photographs of the finished drink.
Larger fo
Pair with The Craft of the Cocktail; neither is complete unto itself. There is also some repetition between the two books, but I am OK with that. This one is slicker. The publishers got someone to organize it better than the first one, and present the material with lots of pretty pictures, but I think the first one stands a better chance of becoming an ageless reference book. This one already seems dated, with the emphasis on "foam" and name brand ingredients that he throws in because he gets hi ...more
Interesting history, easy to follow recipes, good background information, and a very comprehensive set of drinks including many variants. A very useful book.
Aaron Bond
Great book, but be ready to head to the store to get all the fixins...lots of unique/hard to find ingredients on a lot of the recipes.
Mar 11, 2013 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cooking
I struggled with this book. On one hand there are excellent basics in it, especially the appendices. On the other it's so full of "I invented this variation for such-and-such event/company/place" that it's off putting to me. I am especially irked by the disappearing page numbers. It's next to impossible to use the index since the layout doesn't have page numbers on about 75% of the pages.

End result is that I'll probably photocopy several things before I take it back to the library, but few of th
Kristen Northrup
Beautiful book. And I really enjoyed all the history mixed throughout. Not many recipes call for hard-to-find ingredients, and anyone picking up a $35 cocktail book is probably interested in going exotic anyway. The one part that bothered me throughout is that he kept modernizing recipes but not including the original. Updating drinks for contemporary tastes is a great service, but it would have been neat to just see the original for comparison.
Aug 16, 2010 Loree marked it as to-read
Recommended to Loree by: Dale's Uncle
I haven't read this book yet, but this weekend I had the pure luck of sharing a breakfast table with a charming elderly man who is related to Dale DeGroff... our breakfast conversation covered everything from Navy Pier in Chicago, WWII, the start of TV broadcasting, to the Rainbow Room, cocktails and family. I was so charmed... I figured I best find a copy of this book and explore it myself...
After discovering the “Blood and Sand” (equal parts blended scotch, cherry Heering, sweet vermouth, and orange juice) on a trip to visit friends in Canada, I knew I had to get this book. It’s a great mix of recipes and history and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves classic cocktails.
100 essentials + variations, plus a little backstory on the drinks' history - if you enjoy reading cookbooks and are an aspiring mixologist, this book is a good one to turn to.
Excellent book on all levels--photography, drink recipes, writing, research, history. The index could use some work, but otherwise I'd highly recommend this one.
Avis Black
He has a something missing from many books about drinks, information about pre-Prohibition Era drinks, which was interesting to read.
The recipes are excellent but it's the history and lore that Degroff throws in that really makes this book. Cheers!
The most useful cocktail book I have.
Jean marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
James added it
Nov 21, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Dudders is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Yang marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Trawkin Artem
Trawkin Artem marked it as to-read
Chris Bailey
Chris Bailey marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Steven marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Zana marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Thomas marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
  • Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • The Savoy Cocktail Book
  • The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy
  • The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks
  • Cheese Primer
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • Alcoholica Esoterica: A Collection of Useful and Useless Information As It Relates to the History andC onsumption of All Manner of Booze
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • Everyday Drinking
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas
  • The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks