Start by marking “The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks” as Want to Read:
The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks

The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Dale DeGroff is widely regarded as the world’s foremost mixologist. Hailed by the New York Times as “single-handedly responsible for what’s been called the cocktail renaissance,” he earned this reputation during his twelve years at the fashionable Promenade Bar in New York City’s Rainbow Room. It was there in 1987 that he not only reintroduced the cocktail menu to the coun ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Cocktail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Cocktail

Helmut
May 08, 2016 Helmut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cocktails
Was wirklich wichtig ist
Das letzte halbe Jahr war, was Cocktails angeht, für mich ein sehr spannendes. Früher war ich ein Freund des Bekannten; bevor man riskiert, 8 für einen mir nicht schmeckenden Cocktail auszugeben, habe ich lieber immer dieselben getrunken: Americano, El Presidente, Manhattan, Whiskey Sour oder Sazerac. Heute ist das anders: Es gab in diesen 6 Monaten kaum einen Cocktail, den ich zweimal getrunken hätte. Wie man auf meiner Cocktailwelt-Seite sehen kann, gehe ich nun lieber
William Nist
Apr 17, 2016 William Nist rated it it was amazing
A worthy addition to your wines and spirits library, this book is both for the beginner and the veteran cocktail maker. The are separate sections for classic cocktails, highball, tropicals, sours, modern innovations, and on glassware, garnishes, and syrups.

I especially like the little nuggets of information and history sprinkled throughout this book. You need this kind of minutia as a barperson, when preparing and lingering over your favorite cocktails.

The art, photography and illustrations al
Walt Falconer
Jul 10, 2012 Walt Falconer rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
from amazon.com

Beautifully done in both material and layout,this is bound to be a must have classic tome on mixology.While it covers only about 500 recipes,it covers 500 worthwhile or essential(hence the title)cocktails, all well worthy of inclusion in a cocktail reference book - not just a compendium of every drink ever concocted (for better or worse). Almost every drink is given a short but interesting history/intro, then ingredients, directions, and photographs of the finished drink.
Larger fo
Pixie
Jul 29, 2010 Pixie rated it it was amazing
Pair with The Craft of the Cocktail; neither is complete unto itself. There is also some repetition between the two books, but I am OK with that. This one is slicker. The publishers got someone to organize it better than the first one, and present the material with lots of pretty pictures, but I think the first one stands a better chance of becoming an ageless reference book. This one already seems dated, with the emphasis on "foam" and name brand ingredients that he throws in because he gets hi ...more
Ryan
Nov 09, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Interesting history, easy to follow recipes, good background information, and a very comprehensive set of drinks including many variants. A very useful book.
Aaron Bond
Aug 07, 2014 Aaron Bond rated it really liked it
Great book, but be ready to head to the store to get all the fixins...lots of unique/hard to find ingredients on a lot of the recipes.
Amy
Mar 11, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I struggled with this book. On one hand there are excellent basics in it, especially the appendices. On the other it's so full of "I invented this variation for such-and-such event/company/place" that it's off putting to me. I am especially irked by the disappearing page numbers. It's next to impossible to use the index since the layout doesn't have page numbers on about 75% of the pages.

End result is that I'll probably photocopy several things before I take it back to the library, but few of th
Kristen Northrup
May 30, 2009 Kristen Northrup rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gift, food
Beautiful book. And I really enjoyed all the history mixed throughout. Not many recipes call for hard-to-find ingredients, and anyone picking up a $35 cocktail book is probably interested in going exotic anyway. The one part that bothered me throughout is that he kept modernizing recipes but not including the original. Updating drinks for contemporary tastes is a great service, but it would have been neat to just see the original for comparison.
Loree
Aug 16, 2010 Loree marked it as to-read
Recommended to Loree by: Dale's Uncle
I haven't read this book yet, but this weekend I had the pure luck of sharing a breakfast table with a charming elderly man who is related to Dale DeGroff... our breakfast conversation covered everything from Navy Pier in Chicago, WWII, the start of TV broadcasting, to the Rainbow Room, cocktails and family. I was so charmed... I figured I best find a copy of this book and explore it myself...
Sylvie
Feb 05, 2011 Sylvie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After discovering the “Blood and Sand” (equal parts blended scotch, cherry Heering, sweet vermouth, and orange juice) on a trip to visit friends in Canada, I knew I had to get this book. It’s a great mix of recipes and history and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves classic cocktails.
Stephanie
Nov 04, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
100 essentials + variations, plus a little backstory on the drinks' history - if you enjoy reading cookbooks and are an aspiring mixologist, this book is a good one to turn to.
Tasha
Excellent book on all levels--photography, drink recipes, writing, research, history. The index could use some work, but otherwise I'd highly recommend this one.
Avis Black
Mar 10, 2010 Avis Black rated it really liked it
He has a something missing from many books about drinks, information about pre-Prohibition Era drinks, which was interesting to read.
Taffnerd
Feb 07, 2010 Taffnerd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
The recipes are excellent but it's the history and lore that Degroff throws in that really makes this book. Cheers!
Andypants
Jul 12, 2009 Andypants rated it really liked it
Shelves: cocktail
The most useful cocktail book I have.
Dani
Dani added it
Jul 26, 2016
Justina
Justina marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
To Ni
To Ni marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Mike Higgins
Mike Higgins rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Brian Davis
Brian Davis rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Tony Finotti
Tony Finotti rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jun 26, 2016
Jason Swihart
Jason Swihart rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Mike O'connor
Mike O'connor rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Amber Buerger
Amber Buerger marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Cristy
Cristy rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • The Bartender's Guide: How to Mix Drinks: A Bon Vivant's Companion
  • The Savoy Cocktail Book
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
  • Craft Cocktails at Home
  • The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • The 12-Bottle Bar: A Dozen Bottles. Hundreds of Cocktails. the Only Guide You Need for an Amazing Home Bar
  • Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails, with More than 500 Recipes
  • Alcoholica Esoterica: A Collection of Useful and Useless Information As It Relates to the History andC onsumption of All Manner of Booze
  • Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas
  • Everyday Drinking
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • The Curious Bartender: The Artistry and Alchemy of Creating the Perfect Cocktail