Start by marking “Holy Brother: Inspiring Stories and Enchanted Tales about Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach” as Want to Read:

Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach was one of the most original and inspired Jewish personalities of the twentieth century. The episodes retold here by Reb Shlomo's followers and admirers underscore his unfailing generosity, his capacity to love unconditionally, and his desire to reconnect every Jew with his or her heritage. As a whole, the collection reveals how many individuals were ...more
Published January 28th 2002 by Jason Aronson (first published July 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Brother

Esti
Sep 06, 2011 Esti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With all the chaos in the world, and the constant barrage of bad news in Israel, I needed something positive and uplifting to enjoy over Shabbat. This book has been on my shelf for a long time and I'm glad I took it down. I love Reb Shlomo's music and was part of the "Happy Minyan" in Los Angeles for a number of years. It's inspiring to read people's recollections of him and how he made the world a better place. Sometimes the stories are a bit over the top, but all in all I'm left with a feeling ...more
Daniel Stern
Jan 19, 2017 Daniel Stern rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book for anyone interested in an account of a modern zaddik—a Jewish holy man. For those who had some contact with Shlomo, it is "not to be missed" account of how truly extraordinary he was. I saw him three times in concert and was very moved. This book helped me to understand just how great and amazing a man he was.

Here are so many unbelievable stories of love and miracles-good for readers of all faiths and no faith. Beautifully written too.
Mark Klempner
Dec 06, 2016 Mark Klempner rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is a treasure trove of stories about the great spiritual figure Shlomo Carlebach. The stories are very well organized with the themed chapters and all. Sometimes I wish the author had an appreciation for the power of understatement because sometimes the accounts were a bit gushy and hyperbolic without needing to be. But it is such a valuable collection that I am giving it five stars anyway.
Ronald
Jan 09, 2010 Ronald rated it really liked it
A book that I wouldn't have been aware of had it not have been bought to my attention by Mrs Levene of Levene's Judaica 5th Ave NY. The book comprises short inspiring and true stories of the late Rebbe Shlomo Carlbach. It is a heart warming read of kind acts, faith and trust about a generous and very special man.
Susan Rothenberg
Sep 05, 2011 Susan Rothenberg rated it it was amazing
The book is a collection of memories of people who had know Rabbi Shlomo Carlbach and upon whom the rabbi had a lasting effect. The tales are profoundly moving. If only half of them are accurate, he truly was a holy man. Read it a secong time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
Ayden
Ayden rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Rabbi David Zaslow
Rabbi David Zaslow rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
Isaac
Isaac rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2011
A.C. Schneider
A.C. Schneider rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Rabbi
Rabbi rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
The
The rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2008
Moshe Willner
Moshe Willner rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Seth
Seth rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Arielle
Arielle rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Joel Schneider
Joel Schneider rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Heyden
Heyden rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2007
Mitchell Gronowitz
Mitchell Gronowitz rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2012
Yitzy  Hammer
Yitzy Hammer rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
TheLordDragon
TheLordDragon rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2011
Sam King
Sam King rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Yael
Yael rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2008
David Maayan
David Maayan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Ezra Duker
Ezra Duker rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2008
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2011
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2011
Liora Formey
Liora Formey marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Ted Feder
Ted Feder marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Uri Zohar
Uri Zohar marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Lizzy Brenner
Lizzy Brenner marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Yakov Bronsteyn
Yakov Bronsteyn is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2015
Michael Wallach
Michael Wallach marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Mark
Mark added it
Dec 31, 2015
Elliot
Elliot marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Avi Eisenman
Avi Eisenman marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2017