Start by marking “Pennsylvania Avenue: Profiles in Backroom Power” as Want to Read:
Pennsylvania Avenue: Profiles in Backroom Power

Pennsylvania Avenue: Profiles in Backroom Power

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Through stories about Washingtons key players and through inside analysis, Seib and Harwood take us behind the scenes to show what really happens on the first street in America and how that affects politics, players, and the country.
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Pennsylvania Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pennsylvania Avenue

Karen
Jan 30, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well-written. John Harwood's lecture at Chautauqua this month was the best I heard all week. Due to my lack of background knowledge, I think I'd have a hard time discussing this, but I'd like to! I do have a much better sense of why nothing seems to get done in Washington these days!
Jack
Dec 30, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, politics
This is a fine, short book on current politics in America. Harwood and Seib both worked for the Wall Street Journal (Seib still does). Their non-partisan approach to the problems and potential cures for what ails the American political process is useful. The chapters are short and each focuses on one or two powerful political folks. Some of them are well known, like Karl Rove and Jim Webb, and others are the backroom players that few people hear much about. A few overriding themes include the in ...more
Nick
Aug 28, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been a little better than it was. Harwood certainly knows the players, and some of the stories are very telling. But he's a bit too careful with his analyses of the powers-that-be, and the profiles are on the cursory side. Perhaps that's only inevitable given the powers that be..... Still, read this book if you want to understand how power works in Washington, and how it's changed over the past decade. The good news is that anyone with a computer, a sense of how to hook the ...more
Brad
Aug 19, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
If you ever wonder who are influencing the day to day decisions and long term decisions that affect this country, this is the book to read. From lobbyists, to lawyers, to lawmakers, the people mentioned in this book are the people who are shaping policy today in Washington. It is good to note them and their positions because you, for the most part, will not see the faces of these individuals plastered all over CNN or major newspapers.
Joy
Jun 04, 2008 Joy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Nerdy journalist alert....had to buy this book. And yes, I looked at first pages to see if I got a first edition. (I did!) The secondary author, Jerry Seib, is a fellow journalist from Hays. And he's just always been one of those people I've looked up to, so this is a must read for me. (An added bonus...he recently appeared on Meet the Press.) Ok, this is the end of the nerdy journalist alert for today.
Delight
This was a fascinating book of the players (some behind the scene, some not) of how business gets done in DC. Some of the profiles I enjoyed more than others. If you're interested in how DC REALLY works, this is a book worth reading. It's bipartisan as Rs and Ds are both highlighted.
Tulin
Feb 19, 2009 Tulin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book sounded more interesting than it was. It basically was just profiles of various players in Washington. I would have liked to see more of an integrated book that included a bit more of a narrative.
Marsha
Jul 06, 2008 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unbelieveably fantastic read. I actually had to slow down and take notes because I was gobbling up the book. These are the movers and shakers of our times and I recommend this book to read before the next election.
Matt
Jan 10, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent collection of profiles of DC power players. Good background info on some of DC's personalities, but probably only interesting to real political junkies.
Mike
Jun 12, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating view of how modern Washington really works. Intriguing for the political junkie. If you're not into politics and policy making, don't bother.
Carol
Jul 03, 2008 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I heard John Harwood speak today and he shared an antecdote from the the book. It sounds like it might be interesting if you like politics.
Andrea
Some of the stories were mildly interesting, but there was no coherent narrative to tie it all together and make me want to keep reading.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
- marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Andrew Demillo
Andrew Demillo rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Han Chen
Han Chen is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Dave O'Connor
Dave O'Connor rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Steven
Steven is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Patti Jo Nelson
Patti Jo Nelson rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Dave Buie
Dave Buie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Taylor Deutschle
Taylor Deutschle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
weelilbit
weelilbit marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Janis
Janis rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More about John Harwood...