Start by marking “Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1)” as Want to Read:
Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1)

Song of Sorcery (Argonia #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's Song of Sorcery is another light-hearted contemporary fantasy adventure which will please the author's many fans. Colin Songsmith sings a song to an old witch who takes an unlikely revenge. The witch's granddaughter rescues him from the dire threat of being eaten alive by the cat. She hears the song, which happens to concern her recently married ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 216 pages
Published May 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published February 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Song of Sorcery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of Sorcery

Moon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDead Witch Walking by Kim HarrisonHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Strong Fantasy heroines who are NOT teenagers
173rd out of 355 books — 247 voters
Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienDragon Eaters by Janet E. MorrisHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher Paolini
Dragons Included
116th out of 161 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
I really enjoy this series particularly this first book. The characters are very engaging and this is the getting to know you part which is often my favorite. Maggie is one of the rare characters with a special power who manages to think outside the box under pressure. She turns her limited magical talent into a huge asset over and over again. Colin is slightly less interesting off the bat. He starts out as a pretty standard self-serving young man but really finds his feet and becomes a characte ...more
Katie
Song of Sorcery is a fantasy story about Maggie, a sensible, practical hearthwitch whose magic is used to light fires and cook meals. But when her beautiful, empty headed sister Amberwine runs away from her husband with a gypsy, she is forced to leave her comfortable home life to go and retrieve her errant sibling. Her travelling companions are Colin Songsmith, a minstrel who gets into trouble with Maggie’s grandmother by singing a popular song which has sprung up about Amberwine’s actions, and ...more
Gregoire
Drôle. Revisite un peu l'esprit "contes pour enfants" avec sorcières, dragons, prince, quête etc Distrayant.
Liz
Dec 14, 2013 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Whimsical, charming fantasy with domestic witches, pining unicorns, hapless minstrels, sarcastic cats, and lovesick dragons - not to mention an architecturally challenged gingerbread house. Scarborough crafts a funny, imaginative world that somehow manages to feel fresh and spunky, despite using almost all of the Big Tropes of fantasy literature. It's light reading for sure, and a welcome good-hearted relief from the misogyny and racism that permeates much of the genre. Recommended.
Melanti
Aug 20, 2013 Melanti marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I read Scarborough's The Godmother last week and it was dreadful so I'm not enormously inclined to be patient today... I'm about 50 pages in, and I can already see some of the same flaws and problems with writing style that I saw in The Godmother.

This might turn out to be a tolerable book, but I don't see it turning out to be a fantastic one, so I'd rather quit now and spend my time reading something else.
Kendra
Apr 24, 2013 Kendra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a light, fun read
This is a light, fun, easy to read book. The plot and characterizations are pretty simple with no real depth, but they are funny. This author is one I like to pick up when I've had a heavy study week or I'm in between heavier novels and want something enjoyable that doesn't take a lot of brain power. Elizabeth Scarborough never disappoints.
Nicole
Maggie Brown is a hearthwitch. She is best at the Home Ec sorts of magic; she can zap a fire to the right temperature instantly and turn out a perfect meal from any ingredients. But questing was not what she expected. She and Colin Songsmith must track down her faery step-sister Amberwine and the gypsy she has run off with.
Arlene Allen
I don't remember what this was about but it was the first Elizabeth Ann Scarborough I ever read (though far from the last). To this day she still has such a fresh, original voice.
Jane
A cute story full of trite characters and a very one dimensional plot. It reads more like a childrens story with the undertone of a coming of age type romance.
Jami Leigh
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 3 stars
Simple, but in the middle of a rough week, it hit the spot to cheer me up.
Rachel
It's been a very long time since I read this but I remember that I liked it. A fantasy with good story telling. Might contain a little adult content?
Jessie
Song Of Sorcery by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (1982)
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
a Lost book, found.
Wendy
Fun, lighthearted fantasy.
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Megan Whiting
Megan Whiting marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Redraven
Redraven marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Althea
Althea marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
"KayFey"
"KayFey" marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
What's The Name o...: A Talking Cat, A Girl on a Quest, And a Bunny? [s] 8 74 Nov 13, 2011 08:46PM
  • The Universe Against Her
  • The Imperial Stars (Family d'Alembert, #1)
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Cards of Grief
  • Sight of Proteus (Proteus, #1)
  • Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Brave Free Men
  • Dragonworld
  • The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)
  • Shadow Dance (Shadow & Dagger, #3)
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • Jinian Star-Eye (Jinian, #3)
  • The Disappearance
  • Scent of Magic (Five Senses, #3)
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...

Argonia (4 books)
  • The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • The Christening Quest (Argonian #4)
The Healer's War The Godmother (Godmother, #1) Bronwyn's Bane The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2) The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)