Start by marking “The Godmother (Godmother, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Godmother (Godmother, #1)

The Godmother (Godmother #1)

Seattle social worker Rose Samson wishes for a fairy godmother to save "the whole damned city". Magical Felicity Fortune tries to help Snohomish Quantrill, knife-wielding assassin sent by her envious step-mother, abandoned children Gigi and Hank threatened by a powerful pedophile, Vietnam refugee Ding leader of teen gang. But reincarnated talking Puss has his own ideas how ...more
Paperback, Ace, 341 pages
Published December 1995 by Berkley (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Godmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Godmother

Tracey
Aug 17, 2008 Tracey rated it liked it
This felt a little like Charles de Lint in its exploration of extreme misery and child abuse overlaid with magical assistance. One thing I will say for de Lint, though, is that at least he never rubbed my face in a toddler's point-of-view scene of child rape. Thank you for that. I'm not marking that as a spoiler, because a) it was almost inevitable and b) everyone should know about that going in. I wish I had. I probably wouldn't have read it if I'd known. There unfortunately is no such actual t ...more
Shelley Murray
Not at all what I was expecting, but still a great read! The story is about a Godmother who comes to grant the wish of Rose, a Seattle social worker, to give her a hand with her caseload. In The Godmother, Scarborough suggests that many modern-day situations are variations on themes told in the fairy tales of old, though in these modern times the stories often get convoluted and mixed with other stories.

The Godmother has a lot of characters, most of them revolving in some way around our social-
Shala Kerrigan
Dec 11, 2011 Shala Kerrigan rated it it was amazing
What I love best about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's books is that her princesses are self-rescuing and imperfect.

Her urban fantasy is truly urban fantasy, it's not romance with vampires or werewolves.

In this story, she combines elements from fairy tales like Hansel and Gretel, Snow White and Cinderella with several story lines running together and woven around the main character who is a social worker in Seattle who made a wish to a fairy godmother.

I recommended this book to my daughter who is ve
Ryan
Jun 29, 2014 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bureaucratic nightmare of social worker Rose Sampson's job isn't really hard to imagine, even if it is supposed to be fiction. Her case load includes some modern versions of a number of fairy tales - Cindy Ellis is still victimized by her stepsisters, Sno Quantrill goes missing much to her stepmother's joy, and two young children try to find their way home from the mall where their own mother 'forgot' them. Rose is frustrated and wishes for a fairy godmother to help fix everything. Felicity ...more
Katie
Apr 26, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book was a quick read, but it wasn't nearly as good as the Five Hundred kingdoms books by Mercedes Lackey.

The main character was likable enough, but too much time was spent on the (disturbing) side stories - and those side stories focused on young children, whom I don't find that enjoyable to read about.
Gail
Nov 06, 2011 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Heroine wishes for someone to help with social services in Seattle and gets a Fairy Godmother. Magic is rather minimal, but interesting story—even a “happily ever after”, though it’s downplayed to a large extent. Cute.
Neelz
Jul 20, 2007 Neelz rated it it was ok
Not a great story and not very well-written, but the Seattle setting of this fractured fairy tale was enjoyable.
Ashley Ehlers
Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

Going old school here.

Picking it up because of the cover and buying it for it's concept I was ready to read a light hearted easy read that would help me get over my reading funk.

Instead I got the darker side of Fairy Tales. Which I don't mind, I was just surprised by it is all. More depressing, in a way, and less Disney like.

The characters I liked. Felicity with her silvery being, Rose and her wanting to help every
Cécile C.
Sep 11, 2012 Cécile C. rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book started well, and then overstepped its own limits. A shame.

The initial idea was nice enough; a social worker is confronted to real-life cases that mimick several fairy-tales. Why not. It was a little heavy-handed of the author to have a character explicitly state that fairy-tales are archetypes that keep reproducing themselves in the real world (this rationalisation sounded silly, and since it was not enough of a justification, it could have been omitted with no problem), but that's a
An Odd1
Nov 12, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was ok
Shelves: xrate
Rose Samson, Seattle social worker, wishes for a fairy godmother, and high-class British accented Felicity Fortune tries to oblige. Envious stepmother sends knife-wielding assassin Robert "Bobby" after Snohomish Quantrill (spell that one without looking), rock-star's daughter on probation. Sheo escapes and meets seven nicknamed Vietnam veterans on masculine drumming-sauna retreat.

Toddler Gigi and brother Hank are abandoned by their drug-addled mother. Saved once by friendly cop Fred, the second
Tammy
Shelly Broussard
The fantasty genre has always dealt with moral issues. The fight between Good and Evil has been a major theme of the genre since the beginning. But I've never been slapped in the face so forcefully with the specific moral preaching that I found in The Godmother. It was a bit off-putting from the start. I felt like I was being told how to feel rather than allowed to form my own view of the desperate situations of the characters and the city.
The idea of paralleling modern trials with well-known f
Nicole
Dec 12, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Sweet, funny and very wishful in the best way. The characters may not have been guaranteed happiness ever after but they had a good chance at an optimistic outlook.

Except for the riding stable near Gas Works parks I enjoyed the description of Seattle as the setting. However the idea of trails and stabling between Lake Union and Wallingford is just not possible. There used to be a real stable in West Seattle until the sixties. The South Seattle Community College is near the location. That area is
Jenny
May 08, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
Melanti
Awful. Just a really, really bad combo of really heinous crimes and lots and lots of jokes...

And way too much talking -- pages at a time without hardly any exposition to break it up beyond the standard "she said"/"he said" labels.

As a side note -- the ereads edition I bought has plenty of editing errors where multiple paragraphs were run together with not even a space between two different people talking. I just peeked at the sample for the Kindle edition, and spotted one in the sample, so they
Tara
Jul 05, 2014 Tara rated it liked it
As other reviewers have mentioned this is a pretty dark godmother story with some extremely uncomfortable/unwanted scenes. While I can appreciate the underlying message of the book (which seems to be that there is no such thing as a happy ending, really, and that bureaucracy can invade even the most magical of realms) I had a hard time stomaching the harsh realness of the book. Not a fun read. Not a bad one, but not terribly rewarding for the trouble.
Lindsay Wing
Mar 13, 2009 Lindsay Wing rated it it was ok
Chaynyth
Feb 04, 2016 Chaynyth rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, triggery
Good read, but holy trigger-ville, Batman! Dark side of humanity and fairy tales mixed with whimsy and the bright side of fairy tales. But beware, detailed and in depth perspective of paedophiles, their victims, and other unsavory characters. I enjoyed it overall but also had to sprint for the finish so that I didn't keep the story running in the back of my mind.
Kerri
Jan 09, 2012 Kerri rated it liked it
My first book of 2012, a year in which I promise to write reviews for every book I read. This one grabbed me quick and was a fast, fun read. Can't help thinking it's rather dated at some points though, and the cast of characters is slightly larger than it probably needs to be. Still, I enjoyed it and will be picking up the sequel.
Shifra
Nov 09, 2008 Shifra rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairytales
pairing a godmother with a social worker in seattle makes for a good story, but there were a few too many ugly details about the cases ... however, it certainly remained true to the nature of the original fairytales.
Suzie Quint
Apr 05, 2011 Suzie Quint rated it did not like it
Kimberly
Jul 01, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Might have gotten a slightly higher rating, but the language wasn't so great. Interesting concept though.
Irene
Jul 21, 2013 Irene rated it it was amazing
I liked the way traditional fairy tales were incorporated into a very modern story. This is a clever, well-written book with a lot of humour in it.
Lrwhalin
Lrwhalin rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Stephanie Leong
Stephanie Leong rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2009
Marg
Marg rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Kelli Sprowls
Kelli Sprowls rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Sinda
Sinda rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2011
Cris
Cris rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
  • Derai (Dumarest of Terra, #2)
  • Into the Green
  • Son of Man
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • Mathemagics
  • Battledragon (Bazil Broketail, #4)
  • The Lion Game
  • A Different Light
  • Skeen's Leap (Skeen, #1)
  • Fall of Light (LaZelle, #2)
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • The Magestone (Witch World Series 4: Secrets of the Witch World, #2)
  • Sight of Proteus (Proteus, #1)
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • The Werewolf Principle
  • Jinian Star-Eye (The End of the Game, #3)
  • Cards of Grief
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...

Godmother (3 books)
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • The Godmother's Web (Godmother, #3)

“Even the smallest thing can be enough to encourage someone who has decided to give up hope.” 5 likes