Start by marking “Don't Call Us Out of Name: The Untold Lives of Women and Girls in Poor America” as Want to Read:
Don't Call Us Out of Name: The Untold Lives of Women and Girls in Poor America

Don't Call Us Out of Name: The Untold Lives of Women and Girls in Poor America

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A radically new vision of women and girls living below the poverty line; Lisa Dodson makes a frontal assault on conventional attitudes and stereotypes of women in poor America and the seriously misguided "welfare reform" policies of the end of the century.

"I hear Odessa, a thirty-two-year-old woman, speak at a forum on welfare reform. I ask her about the phrase she used, '
Published September 25th 1999 by Beacon Press (first published September 29th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Call Us Out of Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call Us Out of Name

Gwen Thompson
Apr 24, 2014 Gwen Thompson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Americans who vote
I read this book in grad school for "relief" from fiction manuscripts. It caught my eye in the B. U. bookstore because its title is also the punchline of a family legend about my British great-grandmother who did not take kindly to her husband calling her out of her name. It's a real eye-opener to learn how people who are directly affected by Welfare Reform perceive the whole system--as opposed to the uninformed or misinformed opinions of politicians, pundits, and talking heads with no personal ...more
Jacqueline
Apr 25, 2016 Jacqueline added it
Recommends it for: anyone who is intrigued in hearing a women's story
This book of the lives of the women who were living through poverty, and struggled with abuse was not only told in a powerful, respected way but also is eye opening for readers especially for women to be able to relate into their stories of what they experienced. The author also has a similar writing to the well known book "The Help" about the women who were working as maids for the white women. Most of the women who were being interviewed were out in the public and a few were anonymous but stil ...more
Libby
May 09, 2014 Libby rated it liked it
Dodson's work provides valuable incite into many of the lives of impoverished women in the US. However, I believe this type of work tends to aid in the construction of insider/outsider barriers between "us and the poor." Essentially, after reading a book like this, we tend to think that poor women are an entirely different sort that we are. Perhaps the generalizations present here will foster more stereotypes than they actually remove.
Apr 11, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
I was quickly drawn into this book. I fall into the category of women who have never had to worry about where my family will sleep tomorrow or how I will feed my children. This book has a lot of meat to it...a lot to think about in terms of the cultures and trials of women and children in poor America. I recommend reading it.
Misty
May 21, 2011 Misty rated it really liked it
Four stars for the insight this ethnology provides. It illuminates the complicated social pressure unique to poor women, especially unwed mothers. Essential reading for all policymakers-and suggested for all those in social services for the poor.
Hey Sailor!
Jul 08, 2010 Hey Sailor! marked it as to-read
Rec. Ami
possible oct. book club
Mark Fitzpatrick
Mark Fitzpatrick marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Maddie Gretzky
Maddie Gretzky marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Alex Rodriguez
Alex Rodriguez marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Michelleprikhodko
Michelleprikhodko rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Erica Reichert
Erica Reichert marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kyndal
Kyndal marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Julie Fee
Julie Fee marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Jamal Brinskn
Jamal Brinskn marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Patricia Castaneda
Patricia Castaneda rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Bridgit
Bridgit marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Kristin Canfield
Kristin Canfield marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Kelliann Gomez
Kelliann Gomez rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
David Scherzer
David Scherzer rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Fatima E.
Fatima E. marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Audi Rose
Audi Rose rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015