Don't Call Us Out of Name: The Untold Lives of Women and Girls in Poor America

Don't Call Us Out of Name: The Untold Lives of Women and Girls in Poor America

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A radically new vision of women and girls living below the poverty line; Lisa Dodson makes a frontal assault on conventional attitudes and stereotypes of women in poor America and the seriously misguided "welfare reform" policies of the end of the century.

"I hear Odessa, a thirty-two-year-old woman, speak at a forum on welfare reform. I ask her about the phrase she used, '...more
Published September 25th 1999 by Beacon Press (first published September 29th 1998)

Gwen Thompson
Apr 24, 2014 Gwen Thompson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Americans who vote
I read this book in grad school for "relief" from fiction manuscripts. It caught my eye in the B. U. bookstore because its title is also the punchline of a family legend about my British great-grandmother who did not take kindly to her husband calling her out of her name. It's a real eye-opener to learn how people who are directly affected by Welfare Reform perceive the whole system--as opposed to the uninformed or misinformed opinions of politicians, pundits, and talking heads with no personal...more
Libby
Dodson's work provides valuable incite into many of the lives of impoverished women in the US. However, I believe this type of work tends to aid in the construction of insider/outsider barriers between "us and the poor." Essentially, after reading a book like this, we tend to think that poor women are an entirely different sort that we are. Perhaps the generalizations present here will foster more stereotypes than they actually remove.
I was quickly drawn into this book. I fall into the category of women who have never had to worry about where my family will sleep tomorrow or how I will feed my children. This book has a lot of meat to it...a lot to think about in terms of the cultures and trials of women and children in poor America. I recommend reading it.
Misty
Four stars for the insight this ethnology provides. It illuminates the complicated social pressure unique to poor women, especially unwed mothers. Essential reading for all policymakers-and suggested for all those in social services for the poor.
Hey Sailor!
Jul 08, 2010 Hey Sailor! marked it as to-read
Rec. Ami
possible oct. book club
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Sarai Vasquez
Sarai Vasquez marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Yesenia Gomez
Yesenia Gomez marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Michael Pollerana
Michael Pollerana marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Haley Stritzel
Haley Stritzel marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
John Leonard
John Leonard marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Deann Cagle
Deann Cagle marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Wordwizard
Wordwizard marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013