Start by marking “The Baby Trail” as Want to Read:
The Baby Trail

The Baby Trail (Emma Hamilton #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,116 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Meet Emma Hamilton. She's thirty-three, has a great husband, and loves her life. It's the perfect time to start a family!

Emma has it all mapped out: Go off the pill in December, have sex, get pregnant by January, have the baby in September. And with the help of a personal trainer, Emma figures she'll be back in shape by Christmas. Happy New Year!

But when three months of c
Published January 9th 2006 by Washington Square Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Trail

Tea Jovanović
Zabavno, duhovito i večito aktuelna tema o proširenju porodice... Nije baš ni tako lako začeti decu, ali je zabavno... :) Prvi deo trilogije divne irske autorke...
Stephanie Karaolis
The title of The Baby Trail kind of says it all – this is a book about the trials and tribulations of a couple trying to get pregnant. It’s a very easy read – I think I finished it in two days – and handles a sensitive subject with humour and sometimes a little irreverence. It’s also the start of a series, I realised at the end, and did leave me thinking I’d like to read more.

The central character is Emma Hamilton, and I have to admit that I really didn’t like her at first. She basically wakes u
Marcy
Laugh out loud funny!
This book is certainly one to leave your sides hurting. What's crazy though, is that the author focuses on such a serious topic...a woman's problems getting pregnant. The fact that she uses humor to tell the story does not detract from it in any way.

It's obviously not written in the USA, so you have to get used to a couple of Irish phrases that American's wouldn't quite say.

But I loved Emma and her craziness. I laughed with her and at times I was also really sad for her.
I l
Fluerrose
I didn't find this book funny like what most have said.
I didn't find myself laughing my socks off, mainly because i think i've pretty much gone through what emma did :)

Its a really heartfelt story of what a lady goes through when she is trying for a baby. I feel like MEN should be the one reading the book compared to us women.

I would say try not to read this book if you are trying to get pregnant, if you were anything like me, it would just make you more paranoid. But once you have conceived, g
Angela
Emma decides she wants to have a baby, and as the months pass, she gets more and more caught up in the whirlwind of fertility treatments. I have to say I did enjoy the main character's "voice", but I found the side story (her friend's relationship with a knuckle dragging rugby player) boring and skipped/skimmed over a lot of it. It was okay until the ending, which is abrupt and resolves nothing and leaves you feeling like reading the book was pointless because nobody has changed and nothing has ...more
Jenn
This was a disappointing read for me. It was quick and funny, and the writing was good. I wanted to keep reading. But the story left me completely unsatisfied. The characters didn't go anywhere, and the main character perpetuated the image of infertile women as crazed lunatics. I have been through infertility (well, I suppose I still am), and didn't feel like the depiction was very accurate, based on the other women I have met in the same experience. I wouldn't have minded the ending if the book ...more
Joanna Paula Cailas
DO NOT READ IF YOU'RE TRYING FOR A BABY. I'm not and won't in the near future, and I'm already hoping I won't have to go through what Emma went through. The author probably did. All the details and emotions are impressive and genuine. Emma, lucky Emma, is surrounded by lovely people, though, lovely in their quality and quirks and unloveliness. It's not a funny subject, but Sinead (I'll look up how you pronounce this name) Moriarty dished comedy like raisins in a bitter salad.
Vichy
Η Έμμα είναι μακιγιέζ και ο Τζέιμς προπονητής ράγκμπι. Ζουν στο Δουβλίνο. Όλα καλά και ιδανικά μέχρι που η Έμμα αποφασίζει να αποκτήσει παιδί πριν κλείσει τα 35 της...
Δεν ξέρω αν θα έβρισκα διασκεδαστικό το βιβλίο αν αντιμετώπιζα το πρόβλημα της Έμμα και του Τζέιμς. Γεγονός είναι πάντως ότι η συγγραφέας προσπαθεί με πολύ ανάλαφρο τόνο να μας δείξει τα δεινά που περνάει το ζευγάρι όταν έχει αποφασίσει να αποκτήσει ένα μωράκι και δεν τα καταφέρνει. Ψυχολογικές και σωματικές ταλαιπωρίες που περνά
Michele
This book made me laugh harder than any book I can remember ever reading. I could not put this book down. I was able to read it in less than 24 hours!
Molly
Emma is thirty three and she and her husband, James, have decided to start a family, but they find the path to parenthood is not very simple for them and they pursue various infertility treatments.

I picked this up because I happened to read the fourth book in the series before figuring out it was a series. I decided to read the others. I have never been through what Emma and James went through and I hope I never do, but I have known people who have and this felt pretty authentic. I really liked
Rachel
Devon
'THE BABY TRAIL'is the story of a woman who drives herself, husband, friends and family crazy when her plan to conceive isn't as easy as she'd originally imagined. In an impressive debut Sinead Moriarty deilvers a serious subject matter that many women today face and handels it with dignity, wit and compassion.

I was lucky enough to have been lent this book by a friend who also raved about it and I cannot recommend it enough whether you are in the same boat as Emma or not. I certianly have never
Kolleen
Emma is thirty-three when her and her husband decide its time to start a family. After seven months of trying and no results, Emma goes on a quest to find fertility any which way she can. The result is a funny way of showcasing a sad situation.

Being twenty-seven myself and beginning to hear my clock start ticking, I thought this book would be for me. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but it definitely had it's moments. There were times when it all got caught up with different characte
Michelle Johnston
On stalking the library shelves this book The Baby Trail: A Novel By Sinead Moriarty caught my eye with it's cute cover and the blurb boasted to be a cross between Bridget Jones and Sex and the City.

This book is about a 30 something married couple Emma a make up artist and James a rugby coach trying to have a baby. It takes you through the sex romps and trying every which way to conceive, the depression of not falling pregnant, and onto the tests and poking and prodding that women go through to
Darlene
Overall, this wasn't a bad book. It was written by an author who is from Ireland, so the story takes place in Ireland. It was about a couple trying to conceive and the difficulty they had. It went through the emotions that couples face, especially the woman. A few parts of it were funny, the language was that of how they speak in Ireland and unless you are familiar with that, you will have a hard time understanding some of the meanings of words or a complete sentence (unless you want to look it ...more
Jonita
"The Baby Trail" is Sinead Moriarty's debut book. I was lucky enough to pick this one up at my favourite used bookstore, and couldn't wait to read it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but there were a few things that bothered me.

Let me start with what I enjoyed. Emma, our main character, was a lot of fun. She's obsessed with becoming a mother, something that I'm sure many women can relate to, and will do anything to become one. Sometimes she's a little like a bull in a china shop, plowing through
Katja
Projekt baby er en super underholdende og samtidig indsigtsfuld roman om et alvorligt emne, der vedrører flere mennesker end vi normalt tænker på. På trods af at vi skriver 2010 på kalenderen, så er dét at være ufrivillig barnløs og ikke kunne blive gravid, stadig et tabu i mange kredse, som man ikke snakker højt om eller indrømmer overfor omverdenen.
Med Projekt Baby beskriver forfatteren denne situation på sin vante hjertevarme måde, med underlagt medfølelse for de der er i situationen, men sam
Heather
This book was an impulse pick up from the library. The description of the book really intrigued me. It did take me a while to get use to the characters. When I was finally "involved" with the book and wanting to know how it was going to end, it "abruptly" ended! I wanted to know details about Emma and James life. I also wanted to know details about what happened with Lucy and Donnal! I was left with wanting more!!!
Karen
I have read this book-- actually the entire series-- several times-- and each time I do I laugh out loud with tears in my eyes-- while the story-line tackles the heart-breaking issue of infertility-- the author does it with very colorful characters and humor-- and yet, the reality of the situation is there. Emma and James are one of my favorite fictional couples!!!
Victoria
This was a fun little read. I loved Emma and all of her friends and family, and I cannot wait to see how things go for Emma and her friends in the next books. I must admit, I had a little trouble getting into it at first, but once I did, I really enjoyed it's light-heartedness on what can sometimes turn out to be a serious and perhaps heavy subject for some. Emma's comical goings-on on her tough road ahead were not very relatable for me since I'm not anywhere near her situation, but I really fel ...more
Nicholas
I thought this was a great book that many woman and girls would enjoy reading. This was a good read filled with emotion. The author has a great writing style and really had a clear message/story in this book. A great read and I will definitely be planning to read more from her if possible.
Ana Petrina
Ha ha ha - this girl is funny! I was told the book was fun and not depressing and interesting for all women, not just the trying-to-get-pregnang-ones - and after reading it through two Champion league-evenings, I can only agree - the book IS funny.

"The baby trail" tells the story of Emma, who one day decides that she wants a baby. And from that moment on, nothing else exists in her world - but ovulations, timing and planning sex with her husband, waiting for days to pass...
It is a very funny b
julie simcock
A Rollercoaster of emotion

A Rollercoaster of emotion

this book makes you laugh and cry, often at the same time!! a couple of friends have had IVF so it was like reliving the whole experience ages again. a great read
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9781844880409

Genre? - Chic Lit / Romance / Drama

Characters? - Emma Hamilton / James Hamilton / Imogen / Barbara

Setting? - Dublin (Ireland)

Series? - Emma Hamilton #1

Title? - The process and the problems that can happen in having a baby.

Character Analysis? - I did like Emma, and although I can't empathise with her, I can sympathise - I can guess how I would feel if I couldn't have kids.

General Comments? - The Baby Trail had a slow start, but it got better towards the end. One of the funni
Astrid Johanne
Projekt Baby er en rigtig sød og sjov bog, selvom den handler om et alvorligt emne, kommer hovedpersonen ud i de sjoveste situationer, så man ikke kan lade være med at grine. Det er en bog, som man får et spil på læben af, men samtidig er det en bog som omhandler et alvorligt emne, og giver stof til eftertanke.

The Baby Trail is a really sweet and funny book, eventhough the book is about a serious subject, the maincharachter Emma gets involved in the funniest situations, which is situations that
Jenny Govier
Someone scratched out all the curse words in my library copy. Luckily I'm pretty good at profane Mad Libs. (There aren't that many curse words. Just enough to be fun.)
Jen Cumming
There don't seem to be many Women's Fiction novels that delve into the world of infertility - with as much actual detail. Easy to relate to and some smiles along the way. I am hoping for Emma & James in the next books.
Fabi
Adorei este livro, até porque o li na altura que eu própria tentava engravidar e não conseguia! Faz parte de mim e da minha história! Recomendo!
Danielle Stephenson
Perfectly pleasant read but not enough humour for me. I will read the rest in the series coz I did enjoy it but it didn't set my world on fire. Wasn't keen on the ending either felt a little unfinished.
Liv Baker
Great book, felt a bit sorry for Emma and not exactly the ending I wanted to read this book so quick! Couldn't put it down
  • Mommy by Mistake
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Notes From The Underbelly
  • Single White E-Mail
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • The Baby Planner
  • The Book of Jane
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • Daddy's Girls
  • Woman To Woman
  • Younger
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Odd Mom Out
  • The Boy I Loved Before
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
Sinead was born and raised in Dublin where she grew up surrounded by books. Her mother is an author of children’s books. Growing up, Sinead says she was inspired by watching her mother writing at the kitchen table and then being published. From that moment on, her childhood dream was to write a novel.

After university, she went to live in Paris and then London. It was at the age of thirty, while wo
More about Sinéad Moriarty...

Emma Hamilton (4 books)
  • A Perfect Match
  • From Here to Maternity
  • Mad About You
In My Sister's Shoes From Here to Maternity A Perfect Match Me And My Sisters Mad About You