Start by marking “Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa” as Want to Read:
Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa

Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The world of the Argentine pampa comes to life in this humorous tale of a South American boy determined to tame and ride a wild pony.
Turtleback, 115 pages
Published February 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published March 12th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Chucaro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chucaro

Diane
Pedrito is a young boy that lies relatively alone on a ranch in Argentina. One day after spotting a beautiful and rare pink pony the boy pleads for his father to capture it for him. The father recognizing his own inability to fulfill his son's dreams, calls for Juan, an experienced ranch hand, to capture the pony. Pedrito and Juan spend weeks training and breaking the wild pony and ultimately are faced with a dilemma that may cause them to lose their precious friend.

Overall I gave the novel fou
Tammy
Super story. So relaxing and well written. "Adios!" is so easy it may be said a hundred times a day. But when the leave-taking is real and you mean the farewell, then your lips are sealed. You keep silent and go." "You can't shake hands with your memories!"
Julie
This book received a Newbery Honor for 1958. It is a picturesque view of life in the Argentinean Pompas.

I believe why this won the Newberry Honor is award is because it has a tone where the author lovingly invites the reader to learn about the world of an Estancia and the people on it. Not surprising, the main character is a young boy and superlative wild pink horse. The young boy's protector is a strong and handsome ranch hand who is as wild and noble as the horse.

This book probably has not en
Jill
Glad this was a short book. It wasn't bad but I don't find horses and cowboys particularly interesting.

“Looking at it from an airplane flying high, the Pampa seems vast, bare, and bleak. But the gaucho does not fly so high. With his saddle only three feet from the ground, he sees an entirely different picture. From the airplane the prairie appears dead. But from the saddle you can almost hear the Pampa breathing. Plants, animals, and men, in bright colors and distinct forms, come to the foregro
Josiah
Told through use of an authentic third-person narrative voice that reflects the exciting outdoors feel of the Argentine Pampa region, Chúcaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa is a grassroots cultural tale about a boy and the horse he comes to love, a theme that seems to cross all national borders in its literary appeal. From Black Beauty to My Friend Flicka to Smoky, the Cowhorse to King of the Wind and beyond, horse stories have held our attention and found their way onto our bookshelves for generation ...more
Michiel
May 27, 2013 Michiel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Michiel by: Mater Amibilis
I loved this book. A boy finds a wild pony on the Pampa in Argentina, and someone wants to take it away from him. It all doesn't necessarily end happily ever after, because happily ever after is up in the air, but it is satisfying.

What makes this book so great is that we get to feel what life on the Argentine Pampa is really like, at least what it was like 50 years ago. We get not only daily life details, but a sense of the place, the thought processes of the people, the values, the ethos, and a
Scott Williams
4c4a7c9d-79e5-4345-b44e-034a98b26f6e
Thomas Bell
Well, I sure was glad that it wasn't a horse book. In my opinion there have been too many horse books. No, rather this was a book about what life is like on an Argentinian ranch. Quite interesting, but the plot leaves a lot to be desired. Also, almost all of the characters I would classify as losers, except the one family of course. Main characters name keeps changing too, from Pedro to Pedrito. Maybe that's okay in Argentina or in the Spanish language. I don't really know. stars though for bein ...more
Margaret
Chucaro is an unusual color for a pony & when Pedro spies him grazing on the Pampa he can hardly believe his eyes. He wants the pony for himself & the estancerio's spoiled son is equally determined to own him. Chucaro will decide for himself which gaucho will have the privilege of riding him.

This is a charming story, written in a style that acknowledges the reader. There are lovely drawn illustrations at just the right places. I loved it - just wish I had found it when I was nine!
Lindsey
The wild pink pony of the Pampa. An interesting read with some great dynamic characters. The author forces English readers to decipher Spanish words and decode some meaning from the sentences around it. The story explores the life of a guacho.

Favorite quote: Air, pure air, can lift a heavy heart and help you to forgive and forget anthing you want to. If you want to!"
Dawn Roberts
This simple, whimsical story of a boy and gaucho in Argentina was short and sweet and just right read aloud to my 7 and 9yo boys. It combines interesting cultural descriptions of life on the pampa with a cute story about a boy and his horse. Memorable characters, and this edition has some cute illustrations.
Connie
This 1959 Newberry Honor Book was especially fun, in its simple way, because it referred to things we learned while in Paraguay - yerbe mate (the tea drunk through a silver tube)and the Iguazu Falls (which we visited in Brazil). The occasional italicized Spanish words gave the book a special flavor.
Ashley
This was a short, easy read. It was a cute but unremarkable story.
Cynthia
ARGENTINA -
Lady Nefertankh
Lady Nefertankh marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Amber Soliz
Amber Soliz marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
E.M.
E.M. added it
May 26, 2015
Kristi
Kristi added it
Apr 12, 2015
Ashley Jimenez
Ashley Jimenez marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Dustydeb
Dustydeb marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Francis Kalnay was born in Budapest, Hungary, in 1899. He came to the United States in 1919 and settled in Carmel, California, where he has had a rich and varied career as a farmer, a journalist, an actor, and of course, a writer of children's books.
More about Francis Kalnay...
It happened in Chichipica