Start by marking “Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes” as Want to Read:
Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes

Arithme-Tickle: An Even Number of Odd Riddle-Rhymes

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Who knew math could be so fun? These eighteen zany rhyming riddles involve addition, subtraction, and simple multiplication to calculate everything from poodle weights to travel time. And for anyone who's stumped, the answers are included in mirror -writing below each riddle.
J. Patrick Lewis's clever rhymes and kid-friendly illustrations by bestselling illustrator Frank R
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Arithme-Tickle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arithme-Tickle

Lexus Beedy
Personal reaction:
I loved this book and I know I will use it in my own classroom someday. I would definitely recommend this book to students for a fun way to work on math word problems and riddles.

Purpose:
While this book is about math word problems, counting, and riddles, it would be appropriate for kids aged 6-8 so that they would have prior knowledge of the needed math skills. It would be appropriate as a read aloud for kids around the same age. I really liked how this becomes interactive by
Tracy St.
Mar 26, 2014 Tracy St. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I am sad that these poems are of too high a level for my first graders, it is a book that I will definitely keep in mind if I am ever teaching older children! Each of these 19 unique poems is rhyme-y and catchy at a first read. Upon looking at these poems closer though they each hold a solvable math problem of sorts. I would love to use these for gifted students or “fast finishers” as a way to test their creative math solving skills. Because the author wanted math poems each of the poem ...more
Becky B
This picture book is a collection of word problems written in rhyme sprinkled with a few riddles and one math trick (using fingers to calculate 9s products). The complexity of the problems makes the book most suited to upper elementary or middle school, but the illustrations would probably not make it popular above that (though the problems could be used in high school).

I would most likely use this book to provide transition or bell exercises, or for that kid who is always done early and bored.
Jacey
Sep 18, 2015 Jacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this wouldn't be a book you could just read aloud to the class, it is a fun way to practice math skills! Different math problems are presented in rhyming riddle form and answers are provided to check your accuracy. It kind of spans many age levels though in that it has simple addition and subtraction problems along with multiplication and division problems.
Tami
May 20, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy J. Patrick Lewis' work and our whole family LOVED ARITHMETICKLE. We actually sat down with it (me, my husband, my 9-year-old and my 8-year-old) and read the poems and figured out the math problems within the poems together.

My husband and 9-year-old son love math and numbers, my 8-year-old daughter and I not so much, but we ALL enjoyed working the math riddles.

They are similar to the activities in the Dynamath series often used in 3rd and 4th grades as a fun and challenging supple
Debby Baumgartner
Can you solve theses number problem poems?
Trang
Mar 06, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This books provides 18 different riddles that are kid-friendly yet challenging! Using addition, subtraction, and basic multiplication, you can handle a horse or jump on the moon! If any of these stump you, then you can find answers on the bottom but don't forget a mirror because you'll need it to understand your answer! Great to use for morning work that relates to math in fun ways.
Emily Kuhn
Dec 08, 2013 Emily Kuhn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
What a brilliant way to spark students' interest in math! Arithme-Tickle will tickle your students' funny bones while allowing them to practice their math skills. These challenging riddles would be a great way to begin a math lesson, and get students excited about the numerical fun to come.
KidsNonFiction Teton County Library
J 513 Lewis
Kay gave this book 4 stars because it gives children the opportuity to have fun with math. The book contains 18 riddles for the children to try to solve. Most of the math involved addition and subtraction and the riddles will have the children thinking.
Andrea
Jul 06, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Vibrant pictures make this humorous book of poetry readable. The poems which mostly rhyme challenge you to solve mathematical problems and have amusing characters like the poodle named Poo-poo-pee-doo.
David
Nov 25, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extra neat math book. My kids really liked it. These were a bit easier than the other math book we read today. I could do them in my head (mostly).
Melanie Swider
May 26, 2013 Melanie Swider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, math, 2013
Love this book - such a great way to integrate math and literacy! Kids love trying to solve the rhymes!
Sam
Great way to start every math lesson, it is fun and can be an easy introduction into any lesson.
Alison Lake
My math class enjoyed this book, but some of the math riddles were quite challenging.
Apr 24, 2010 571 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grades 3-4 SLJ
gives practice doing story problems/ riddles, cute illustrations
Karan Johnstone
Cute book of math riddles. This book would be good to use for morning work.
Kristen
Reminiscent of Greg Tang's math riddles.
Julie Webb
Jul 09, 2009 Julie Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-stories
A challenge for most 1st graders
Leia-Catherine
Oct 24, 2010 Leia-Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Really fun puzzles to figure out!!
Marianna
Challenging and fun.
Maddie Shell
Maddie Shell rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Rachel Trivette
Rachel Trivette rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Alex Trunkhill
Alex Trunkhill marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Monica
Monica added it
Apr 25, 2016
Kaylan Ramirez
Kaylan Ramirez marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Lia
Lia rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Fjóla
Fjóla rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Lily Kane
Lily Kane marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...