Start by marking “Story Time” as Want to Read:
Story Time

Story Time

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  876 ratings  ·  111 reviews

George and Kate are promised the finest education when they transfer to the Whittaker Magnet School. It boasts the highest test scores in the nation. But at what price? Their school's curriculum is focused on beating standardized tests; classes are held in dreary, windowless rooms; and students are force-fed noxious protein shakes to improve their test performance. Worst o

Published August 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Story Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Story Time

Brandy
This struck me as what would happen if Lemony Snicket wrote a book with a more realistic setting and plot. And, um, with demons. And standardized testing. And superweapons. So I guess it's maybe not so realistic at all. But it still had a certain Lemony Snicket-esque vibe in the wordplay and the sarcasm.

Ah, hell. I can't be articulate. I liked it. It was good.
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is a good satire on the current state of our education system and the No Child Left Behind program. In this story 8th grader Kate and her genius uncle George (who is actually younger than her) are invited to attend the Whittaker Magnet School. George, who is a bit of genius, is thrilled but Kate, notsomuch. The Whittaker Magnet School is the last place Kate wants to go. She loves her public school and has been practicing her whole life for the lead in their production of Peter Pan. She's al ...more
Rebecca
I had a hard time slogging through it, it didn't really capture my interest. It's intended as a scathing criticism of standardized testing and education, but that's such a minimal part of the book, it's more like tepid criticism. The paranormal parts weren't very interesting or exciting, and the characters, other than Uncle George, were flat. I like demons as much as the next person, but we learned so little about them, where they came from, why they were in the book, and why they liked to hurt ...more
Dan Keating
It legitimately pains me to be writing this review. Bloor's "Tangerine" is, and will probably always be, my favorite young adult novel ever, but after reading his "Crusader" and now this, I've come to accept that Bloor hasn't been able to duplicate the success of his first novel - while duplicating many thematic elements in a way that reveals his writing as somewhat formulaic.

Story Time tells the story of eighth grade Kate and her sixth grade Uncle George and their family, as Kate and George are
Nora
I love Tangerine, so I was expecting to love this. Story Time is about a school that has kids take standardized tests all day, every day, to improve their scores. The government thinks the school is AMAZING from the test scores, but we know better. Bloor's Tangerine was a terrific, funny satire on environmental issues and from this book jacket, I was expecting a similar satire on today's standardized testing. But Bloor added this whole demon thing to the plot that just didn't work. It was a devi ...more
TamTam
Shelley
I loved this. Part ghost-story, part satire, a good story that makes it's point without losing the elements of good storytelling.
If you have a child in public school, you are familiar with the horror that the "Test Based Curriculum." You know, "teaching to the test", meaning standardized testing? Designed by androids whose only desire is to suck every scrap of joy and wonder out of learning, this unmitigated crap is the current standard here in the good old US of A. (Thanks Bush. Don't let the d
*Sklip*
Best paranormal book I've read in a long time. It's better than all the paranormal romances that keep coming out lol!

I really liked the idea of a haunted college-prep school that branches out. There's really nothing to say, but it's fast-paced and full of interesting little bits of information and kept my attention the whole time.

I don't really have a favorite character or a hated character in this book for some reason. However, the characters in this book was amazingly created. Each character w
Kristin
This book was Edward Bloor's satiric social commentary on the state of education today, especially standardized testing and No Child Left Behind standards. But it is also more than that! It is a supernatural mystery action-thriller involving a Demon named Jack who possesses certain people during Story Time hour(hence, the book title). Here's the BASIC setup, (which is hard b/c there are so many characters involved in A LOT of plot lines!)

6th grade genius George Melvil and his popular 8th grade c
Ally
Story Time isn't funny. It's boring, long, and painful to my eyes. I wished I abandoned the book earlier, but I was so hoping it would turn out for the better. Ah! Investment failure. It's a good thing it was only a library book. It would had been burned to ashes by this time. I hated, hated it. It was terrible.

Nevertheless, I shall mention that this is going to be a short review. I'm afraid I would get carried away in insulting this poor author's work. Yes, it does happen. Yes, it has happened
Elizabeth
Bizarre! I just didn't get it. I listened to it. It cannot be pigeon-holed into a genre. It had elements of the supernatural and evil and an odd interjection of a visit by the First Lady and later by the President of the United States. At the beginning, I was drawn in because of the setting of a library and how the magnet school's unwise choices about education were being ridiculed. Later, however, I just couldn't see how any presidential administration could spend time on these unenlightened ad ...more
Sariah
This not going to be a very well articulated review because I was so frustrated with the book that I don't have any well articulated thoughts. Supposedly this is supposed to be a satire on the state of education in our country. Other than the students taking standardized tests every day,I didn't get the satire. Supposedly this is supposed to be a "horror" book, but other than a plethora of weird deaths and the mention of a demon late into the story, it wasn't really horror, either. Supposedly th ...more
Angelica Galanis
Kate and a George are promised the best education at their new school, but it must be the creepiest place in all of the U.S.A. The teachers don't go by their real names and the students have a test every single day, but much worst things are happening in the school. Teachers are being possessed. One of the mute staff members befriends Kate and wants to help her and George to get this demon out of the school. George might be a genius by how will he and Kate solve this problem?

I chose this book b
Carriebcook
I absolutely loved this book. It is a funny satire of the whole "Standardized Testing" in public education. It is a young adult book, but worth the read.
Kayla
I love fiction books. This was really funny and ironic.It gives a complete different point of towards standardized testing.
Carly Grennan
This book wasn't for me at all. I can understand why some other people would like this book but as a person who hates horror and doesn't see why we need it I hated it. I did finish this book because normally i don't stop reading a book when I'm halfway through it but I was very tempted to. I also didn't fully understand what was going on all the time like when a big thing was happening and one of the main characters got roped into doing something. I also couldn't picture what was going on and I ...more
Josiah
In 1997, author Edward Bloor took the literary world captive with the lightning-fast, suspense-packed writing in his first novel, Tangerine. His follow-up to Tangerine, Crusader, once again teleported readers to a darkly mysterious world in which nothing was quite what it seemed, where people who seemed good could turn out to be the vilest of villains, and those who appeared to be bad might end up saving the day in the end.

Story Time is actually quite different from those earlier books. The plo
Penelope Bartotto
This is another one of those books my teenage daughter brought home from her book club and once she had read it she was pretty adamant that I would like it too. What can I say she knows her mama loves a good book, and she is catching on to what styles of books intrigue me the most. She's been pretty spot on with all of the recommendations she has made. This was no exception!
Ultimately quirky, with some highly unique characters, the story takes you into the twisted and dark side of what education
Amy Snyder
Julie S.
I loved this book. It was such an interesting look at schools and testing. It had so many running references: Peter Pan, the mutant octopus-shaped school district, clogging, Pogo's quote-talking, and best of all, Andrew Carnegie.

My favorite passage:

Whit then resumed. He pointed behind the audience to the entryway. "A brief history lesson: Andrew Carnegie, the nineteenth-century robber baron, near the end of his life, decided to build a series of public libraries as public monuments to himself."

H
Jacki
It took me about a hundred pages to finally admit that I was into this book. Bloor builds his story carefully. The book is long, but the chapters are short and, honestly, I couldn't tell you what happened in any given chapter. But by the climax, the reader is wrapped up in a very big, crazy, funny, terrible event that goes beyond anything I could have come up with. It's a social satire that turns very dark and hits some pretty creepy notes on the supernatural side. It wraps itself up a little to ...more
Andria
Slogging was a good word for this one. I was definitely surprised and disappointed as I so loved tangerine. It just took so long to work through the story to get to anything. The girl was totally against going to the magnet school and somehow the family takes her anyway. How did that happen after the family said to George that he should do what is best for him in his choice over whether to go or not.
Josh
Jackie Summers
I adored London Calling so when a friend gave me this book I was excited to read it, even after she said she didn't like it. Sadly, I quickly realized she was right. The characters quickly annoyed me & I found myself getting distracted mid-sentence. Go read his other wonderful books instead.
Carly
When I read that it was a satirical look at modern education, I wondered how that was going to play out. It really touched on the important topics and issues of modern education (at least that I have learned about so far). It was interesting and fed my desire to be a great teacher!
Zach
Jun 13, 2013 Zach rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: nkl
I am 150 pages into this book and will not be going any further -- which is a shame. The premise is great. There's so much about the troubling state of the current American educational apparatus that needs satirizing. But this novel doesn't work as satire, because it tries too hard, but at the same time doesn't try hard enough. Its two young protagonists (Kate and George) are thoughtful, logical, and emotionally appealing, yet everyone else is a lopsided caricature. There are many awkward or abr ...more
Arinn Wardell
As I read Story Time, I found it to be a humorous satire on our current educational system. I am not sure a teenager would read it with the same humor as a teacher. I did enjoy the changes the characters all grew into.
Jacqueline
Edward Bloor is one of my new favorite authors, and Story Time did not disappoint me. At a time when many authors writing juvenile fiction and young adult novels stoop to writing one formula piece after another or material that is dumbed down or overly preachy, it is refreshing to find an author putting out unique pieces with interesting themes and thought provoking plots that are still easy and fun to read.

The premise behind Story Time is demon-ridden library meets ultra-modern school with test
Bethany
Edward Bloor is well-known for his young adult fiction, particularly his book Tangerine (which I read and enjoyed.) I was not quite as thrilled with Story Time. This book is definitely satire, but Bloor has not quite gotten the hang of writing in this genre yet. I still felt manipulated by the text rather than feeling that it caused me to think about the issues at hand: in this case, the prevalence of standardized testing in schools.

The best part of the book, for me, was the afterword in which
Ginger Smith
Could not get into this. Was listening to the audio and it did not go fast enough for me.
  • The Mystery of Mr. Nice: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Nevernever
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • Dark Waters (The Last Dogs, #2)
  • No Child's Game: Reality TV 2083
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)
  • The Long Wait for Tomorrow
  • The Snarkout Boys and the Baconburg Horror (Snarkout Boys, #2)
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • The Game of Sunken Places (Norumbegan Quartet, #1)
  • Guess What?
  • Boris and Bella
  • Pure Dead Magic (Pure Dead #1)
  • Test
Edward (William) Bloor

Personal Information: Born October 12, 1950, in Trenton, NJ; son of Edward William and Mary (Cowley) Bloor; married Pamela Dixon (a teacher), August 4, 1984. Father to a daughter and a son. Education: Fordham University, B.A., 1973.

Career: Novelist and editor. English teacher in Florida public high schools, 1983-86; Harcourt Brace School Publishers, Orlando, FL, senior editor
More about Edward Bloor...
Tangerine Taken London Calling Crusader A Plague Year