Start by marking “If I Could: A Mother's Promise” as Want to Read:
If I Could: A Mother's Promise

If I Could: A Mother's Promise

"If I could, I’d swim the deep
in search of treasures for you to keep."

From the first rays of the morning sun to the last nod of a tiny head at bedtime, a toddler and mother share a blissfully ordinary day. But there is nothing ordinary about the love between them — a love that is as bright as flowers, as lovely as a song, as comforting as stars, and as deep as the ocean.
Published April 8th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about If I Could, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
352nd out of 414 books — 436 voters
Short and Tall by Ellie B. MorrisDippy and the Crocuses by Ellie B. MorrisEdith and Little Bear Lend a Hand by Dare WrightThe Lonely Doll Learns a Lesson by Dare WrightThe Doll and the Kitten by Dare Wright
Really Underrated Children's Books
247th out of 872 books — 230 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Awwwww...! Such a sweet, loving and cozy book.
Shauna
Apr 13, 2009 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I love sappy I love you books. I got this one for myself to read on Mother's Day. I read it tonight at the bookstore (my after adult ballet treat! No kids at the bookstore!) The books tells all the wonderful things this mother would do "if (she) could". Then it ends with a sweet, "I'd love you more, if I could."
Kim
Oct 16, 2008 Kim marked it as to-read
Shelves: kids
I just got my Chinaberry catalog....so I wanted to add all the books that they say are the BEST! Love me some Chinaberry and do you know why???? They write a paragraph or more about each book and why they loved it. I have never gotten one of the books that they have suggested and been disappointed. Off to the library tomorrow!
Abbi Kraus
Sep 09, 2011 Abbi Kraus rated it liked it
This book shows a strong bond between a mother and her child. It might be a good way to give children ideas for writing a personal narrative about a family member. It could also be a conversation starter about family and bonds between people.
Heidi-Marie
This would be classified with the "Guess How Much I Love You" and "I'll Love You Forever" books. Only it's even simpler in text. Sweet illustrations (my favorite part of the book). Short, simple message. More of a lap-read with your child than in a group storytime.
Tara
Apr 19, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
This book shows the love between a mother and her child. I really enjoyed reading it and it will give you warm feelings when you do. I think books that exhibit caring and love are good influences on children.
MissInformation
Nov 01, 2008 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
An I love you book- ends with "i couldn't love you more than i do" then next page, "but if i could, i would."
Mvd
Jul 15, 2008 Mvd rated it it was amazing
This is a book which I had bought for my mother. It is by my favorite illustrator. He has also illustrated the Redwall series.
Leigh
Apr 09, 2009 Leigh rated it it was amazing
Very sweet story of the bond between a mother racoon and her baby. Good illustrations and lovely writing. Great choice for Mother's Day.
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2008
Booboo
Booboo rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Nikki Fox
Nikki Fox rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Gillian Wong
Gillian Wong rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Trinity
Trinity rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2016
Hajer
Hajer rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2008