Start by marking “The Deceiver” as Want to Read:
The Deceiver

The Deceiver

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  5,028 ratings  ·  77 reviews
As an intrepid and inventive field agent, McCready's independent style has often driven him beyond the rules. He has not been afraid to press the CIA to the explosion point - or to play cat-and-mouse with the KGB. He has successfully tricked Qaddafi and the IRA and once even set himself up as governor of a remote Caribbean island torn between Fidel Castor and the Colombian ...more
Published June 1st 1992 by Bantam Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Deceiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deceiver

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
215th out of 541 books — 608 voters
The Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerI Know This Much Is True by Wally LambTrue History of the Kelly Gang by Peter CareyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Hot Zone by Richard   Preston
True or False
17th out of 221 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Wilson
Sometimes you just realize when you are in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing. I have tried a number of spy and suspense authors with varying results, but picking this book up at the library recently and reading it reminded me what it's like to be entertained by a master. Day of the Jackal was terrific, and this book, while more low-key nevertheless satisfied the reasons you read spy novels. Unfolding as a retrospective of a spy's career told in the context of an internal a ...more
Stefan
The Deceiver was a interesting, gripping, exciting, rational, readable read that felt realistic and possible. The main character was described as a complicated, flawed, and experienced intelligence agent. The four stories included in the book could all be read pretty much separately from one another as the book is not really a novel but a collection of short stories. This is definitely one of my favorite thriller reads. Recommended.
Arun Divakar
The protagonist Sam McCready is an unconventional one. Details are sketchy as I read this a few years back. I do remember three separate plot lines being laid bare before a committee for one man's defense. Worth a read for the Cold War espionage plays.
Amit Shetty
A brilliant novel with a beautiful ending. Forsyth shows how it should be done. A great tribute to people like Sam McCready who spent their lives in the shadows to ensure that the people in the light were never harmed. A highly recommended read.
Scott Holstad
What happens to a British Cold War spy when the Cold War evaporates? That's the story behind this book. Sam McCready is set up by his superiors as someone they view as no longer necessary with no Iron Curtain, and they seek his resignation. He demands and gets a hearing and the book is then split into four novellas -- McCready's role in the handover of a top secret document from a Soviet spy in East Germany; an alleged KGB defector to the US, leading to tension between the CIA and the Brits; ter ...more
Robbie
This was a really cool book, lots of intrigue and action, but also stories within the main story! Really great!
Gunnar von Koch
Forsyth finds a new angle

Set up as a play, Forsyth allows different glimpses into world of secret intelligence. His attention to detail is amazing, and sometimes suffocating, but I at least always found enough air to force myself to the next page. Any book which keeps you completely hooked until physical exhaustion intervenes deserves five stars, and this was the effect The Deceiver had on me. The fact that the Deceiver's termination was a done deal only amplified that politics always trumps rea
Silvana
Mr. Forsyth is one of my fave authors in his genre, besides Mr. Clancy of course. He's not relying too much on technology, but more to suspense, spy works, and his orientation is not to the Yankees, but to the Brits. That's why you'll find that in several of his novels he provide quite extensive description on the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), SAS (the best special force in the world next to Delta Force & Sayeret Matkal), Century House (now Vauxhall Cross) and Foreign Office politics, e ...more
el_quijote
Frederick Forsyth is a very good bare bones storyteller about spies and all the intricacies of cold war espionage. He makes you believe he has access to the clandestine world of the British secret service and puts you right in the middle of all the intrigue.

Just as in his blockbuster novel, The Day of the Jackal, the author creates interesting characters, both good and bad that you can root either for or against in a world that is black and white. But what do you do when Gorbachev and his polic
Muzaffer Bayraktar
Forsyth makes you want Cold War to start again. You'll watch a great spy movie while you read. He is that good. Every detail makes difference.

Frederick Forsyth'ın yazdığı soğuk savaş romanları gibisi yok. Okurken sabır ve dikkat istiyor. Sizi sürekli olayın içersinde tutuyor ve ortamla ilgili detaylar vererek kafanızın içinde birinci sınıf bir casus filmi izlemenizi sağlıyor.

Bu kitap aslında tam roman sayılmaz. Aynı baş karakterin rol aldığı dört olay birbirlerine İngiltere'nin ünlü casuslar ev
Sailen Dutta
This book is worth reading just for the story "The Price of the Bride". However, this doesn't imply that the other stories are boring. Quite the opposite in fact. All the stories are exciting and definite page turners, but the story that I liked the most was the one I mentioned above. It really is difficult to distinguish between a defector and a 'plant', a disinformation agent....unless you have someone high up in the enemy ranks spying for you...and also when you happen to be Sam McCready - Th ...more
B. Asher
I really do like Frederick Forsyth but I was somewhat disappointed with this book. It is not really a stand alone novel but turned out to be a number of individual stories strung together as flashbacks. The stories are all related, using the same main character, but I had expected and wanted a single story.

Nonetheless, the book is enjoyable and Forsyth is able to keep each story moving in his usual way. This is a typical spy novel with the main character being a British spy who specializes in di
Runar Gjelsvik
I'm a succer for cold war spy novels, and this was a good one! It gives you three different stories. If you're like me and enjoy the games played in the shadows in DDR and USSR then have a go at this book
Chris Eddy
Three stories in one. All very enjoyable - espionage and some humour.
David Schlack
English writer Fredrick Forsythe recaps the major assignments of MI5 agent/controller Sam McCready as he's forced to retire. The Cold War is over and espionage business has changed or has it?
Natxo Cruz
Més que una novel·la clàssica d'espies (que també ho és), aquest llibre és un manual sobre l'espionatge durant la guerra freda (i una mica més enllà).
Escrit sense cap mena de pretensió literària, és el producte que cal esperar de l'autor i un llibre que els fans d'aquest trobaran magnífic.
Wilde Sky
A senior man in the British secret service, Sam McCready, is seen as being no longer required and is being gently pushed out of the service. He appeals against the decision and four of his old cases are reviewed as part of the hearing.

The four short stories are all well written. The first two (‘Pride and Extreme Prejudice’ and ‘The Price of the Bride’) are definitely the better stories.

Worth reading if you enjoy espionage stories / thrillers.
David
4 different stories with the same great character. You may like one more than the others, but the greatest thing for me is the end of all the plot. I mean, here you will listen the story of four missions that a great agent realized. But the important is how he knew that even the cold war was ending and that he will be probably retired, a darker and more dangerous period was coming. And in that point, Frederick Forsyth was completly right.
Jason Bean
What starts off as a typical story, of an experienced spy being vindicated after the Cold War ends up breaking into four novellas, each taking place during the main character's career. This was the first book by Fredrick Forsyth I read after 'Day of the Jackal'. It's completely different in tone than his other books, and being over 20 years old feels dated now, but 'The Deceiver' is still an above-average take on the Cold War spy novel.
Howard Brittain
The usual, to be expected, spy stuff from Forsyth with an added element, as McCready is forced to defend his position on the edge of possible retirement.
I enjoy Forsyth's better stories, but always find myself having to suffer through the swathes of unnecessarily length backstory to every character, every building, every town, every sock that every character wears ... you get the point :-)
I have reached the point now where I skip a lot ;)
Valerie
well researched and the interest lies in the details. Sam McCready the MC falls into the category of the maverick spy cf. an anti-hero popular with thriller genre.

Forsyth has cleverly included several stories as past cases are reviewd by a panel intent of forcing him to retire early.

I like the descriptions of place which tie in so well with the story. Again these have been well-researched, I assume the author went there himself.

Jim Puskas
Of all of Forsyth's books, this one is the most spy-centred. It is set in one of his most favorite time periods, the very late stages of the Cold War, when the "old guard" of field hardened agents are being replaced by politically opportunistic bureaucrats, a breed that Forsyth holds in obvious contempt. Not up to the calibre of "Avenger" or "The Fourth Protocol" but an entertaining read for anyone who enjoys a good spy novel.
Joanne
Jan 01, 2013 Joanne rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: keep
These novels are predictable stuff; spies and crimes. Kim Philby the guy in a set of them. There is an engineered kplit, characters a mile wide and an inch deep, and a style of writing that just 'reports' activities. All plot...makes well into a screenplay for movie. the lst ne I read (Deceiver) es basically three novels cremmed nto one book; a set-up for the first movies and two sequels.
Mike Mitchell
The Gold Standard. When it comes to espionage there's Forsyth and then everyone else. I read this a million years ago but remembered how much I liked it and read it again this week. Makes me want to tunnel out and poison someone. This is really four short books in one but each holds its own and completely satisfies. I'm fighting the urge to just dig in and read all his books again.

Karyn
Written about one man, but going back in time, detailing his operations, so basically about 4 stories in one. Still a thrilling read.
Geoff Woodland
Four stories with a common character that links each one to a central theme.
I don’t usually like this type of book, but perhaps being a Frederick Forsyth fan does help, as I found each story to be a faced paced
page turner in its own right. I prefer his “The Fist of God’ & “The Veteran”, but still enjoyed “The Deceiver”.
Filip
As with Le Carre's books - it seems that all the good spy stories seem to be a bit too cynical for my taste. But still a really nice book with the insight to the inner workings of Intelligence Services.

The four short stories that constitute this book are really quite enjoyable and even amusing and the narrative is flawless.
Sheila
Frederick Forsyth is a super storyteller. This narrative is based on spies, espionage and suspense. This book is also great read like all his other novels. It was a page turner and it was very difficult to close and wait till next day to continue reading. Loved the character of Sam McCready the British super agent.
Bojanek
The descriptions about the people or events could have been shorter but this is the only con I can point in that book. While for pros there are such facts that it was surprising, caught my attention, sometimes it was funny, easy to read execpt of some longer descriptions.
  • Cold Harbour
  • Trevayne
  • The Scorpio Illusion
  • Triple
  • XPD
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
From Wikipedia:

Frederick Forsyth, CBE (born 25 August 1938) is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra.

The son of a furrier, Forsyth was born in Ashford, Kent. He
More about Frederick Forsyth...
The Day of the Jackal The Odessa File The Fourth Protocol The Dogs of War The Devil's Alternative

“...a woman of quite bovine stupidity and potato-like contours...” 4 likes