Start by marking “The Bible: Authorized King James Version with Apocrypha” as Want to Read:
The Bible: Authorized King James Version with Apocrypha

The Bible: Authorized King James Version with Apocrypha

The Bible is the most important book in the history of Western civilization, and also the most difficult to interpret. It has been the vehicle of continual conflict, with every interpretation reflecting passionately held views that have affected not merely religion, but politics, art, and even science.
This unique edition offers an exciting new approach to the most influen
Paperback, Oxford World's Classics, 1746 pages
Published April 17th 2008 by Oxford University Press (first published 1611)

To ask other readers questions about The Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible

Crito
May 04, 2017 Crito rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The Bible, "the books", presents an overwhelming sample of literature. Myth and storytelling, law and customs, philosophy and poetry all find themselves under one roof in a way that's far more unified than any other slapped together amalgam of these genres would otherwise be. And beyond genre you get treated to wide and disparate snapshots of moments and ideas in different times, places, and cultures. You couldn't expect less from having the holy books of two major religions in one. The Old Test ...more
Taka
Oct 26, 2014 Taka rated it liked it
Shelves: english_lit, 2015
The book that almost undid me—

I’ve spent 143 days—that’s 4 months and 21 days—reading this, and that’s by far the longest I’ve ever spent reading any book, longer even than the 3 months I spent reading Shakespeare’s Complete Works from cover to cover years ago (the book was so big and heavy it was a workout to be lugging it everywhere and reading it on the train).

Anyway, when I was slogging through the Paulian letters, it was definitely more out of the determination to finish the damn thing (bl
Kilburn Adam
May 03, 2013 Kilburn Adam rated it did not like it
I can't do it. Got to page 827. Took a break to read some Burroughs. And realised, what's the point in punishing myself.

It's shit, don't bother.
Alex
Oct 17, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
* this review contains spoilers*

This book is one of the most famous, and certainly one of the most intriguing historical family dramas ever written. Psychologically and emotionally it is in many ways "ahead of its time", charting as it does the life, loves and turbulent relationships of a father and son over a period of 1,000 years. The structure of the book is near genius, splitting the story into two main sections "The Old Testament" which looks at the life of the father and the "New Testament
Steve
Jan 04, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This of course gets slotted under religion, but one thing that struck me this morning, as I was reading Lamentations, that the KJV is also, for me at least, the greatest book of poetry. Period. I know other versions are more accurate, but the soaring and beautiful language (that really needs to be read out loud) in this version is something that other versions cannot match. You never really finish reading something like this. (I did however roll through the entire book once, many years ago.)
O
Jan 10, 2012 O rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I did it. I actually finished it.

Will write more later on blog.
Carol Lindsey
Aug 26, 2012 Carol Lindsey rated it did not like it
God, this book just goes on and on. The author was wise to remain "anonymous". Seriously, not a good book for an airplane trip or cruise. Will not read again.
Dustin Langan
Jan 29, 2013 Dustin Langan rated it it was amazing
Hell of a book!
Marc
Jan 24, 2014 Marc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is this a KJV or a NKJV? Prof. Norton did far more than update the spelling and punctuation: he changed whole words, many words, not to make them more accurate but to make them more easily accessible to a modern reader. Words like "thine" are gone. Antiquated spellings like "Timotheus" are updated. The result? A less poetic text that is neither a King James Bible nor a New King James Bible. It's one scholar's odd brainchild.

Why did Norton and Cambridge offer this travesty? Imagine if such (high
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
Author responded very rudely with lightning bolts when his absolute authority was questioned.
Pavel
Apr 15, 2008 Pavel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To complement my thriving exegesis skills I am determined to sift through this 1000 page tome of fiction, infant murder, genocide, incest and a host of other inhuman pestilences.
k
Feb 03, 2012 k rated it it was amazing
Well that was an undertaking. It's strange in some ways to "finish" the Bible - the grand nature of the content, the length and the lack of an obvious narrative arch give you the impression that there's no end, that your whole life will be spent reading book after book of the Bible. Most of what I said about the length of the Old Testament below holds true for the rest.

Overall, it was an illuminating and at times truly beautiful read. The role of the Bible in future works of art doesn't just ste
Siddharth Joshi
May 02, 2012 Siddharth Joshi rated it did not like it
First things first. The stories in the Bible have been dictated by peasants and shepherds who lived in very backward areas of the Middle East. At this stage in world history, there were many civilizations who were centuries ahead of these nomads. However, the illiterate populace of the Middle East were drawn toward this cult of fear,ignorance and blind faith. Christianity soon became a very popular religion although Christians were ruthlessly persecuted by the Roman Empire. This changed when Con ...more
Jason Voegele
A work as long and varied as this one cannot be adequately described by a singular star rating or brief review, but nevertheless I will do so here since what else is Goodreads for? I spent over five years reading the entire King James Bible, dipping in whenever the mood struck. The quality of the individual books in the Bible ranges from profound, sublime masterpieces of literature (Job and Ecclesiastes being my favorites), to the utterly banal. The Psalms contain much beautiful poetry but too m ...more
Bethan
Oct 30, 2011 Bethan rated it it was ok
Crazy book. I read all of it, including the Apocrypha, and I am glad that I did because it makes me understand religion a lot more, especially one that is so influential upon the world, socially, politically, culturally and aesthetically. It was better to read the original, albeit in translation, so that I could see and perceive for myself.

It comes in the form of an epic historiography, written by different people, and the New Testament shows a break and progression into a new Christian religio
Felmar Rowell Singco
Jan 19, 2008 Felmar Rowell Singco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All peoples of the world...
If ever all of the books of the world were to be destroyed forever, and there is only one book that is possible to be saved from this utter destruction, then that this is that Book to be saved! This Oxford Classic edition of the Authorised King James Version of the Holy Bible, with the Apocrypha, is the cornerstone, nay, indeed, the very life of the English language, and the very foundation of the institutions and values of the whole English-speaking world. Truly, this is the Book of the books, ...more
vi macdonald
3.5

Old Testament (4 stars): A grand sweeping narrative of incredible scope and intrigue with some great life lessons (however marred by flaws like old-timey sexism and other such issues).

New Testament (3 stars): Not quite as grand or important feeling as Part 1, but definitely still worthy of merit (consider this a good albeit slightly disappointing sequel to a classic, if you will).

Apocrypha (3.5): As scripture (which doesn't mean a whole lot to me) this isn't considered canon but honestly the
Gabriel Cubbage
Aug 19, 2012 Gabriel Cubbage rated it liked it
It's no Twilight. Then again the movie versions of this book are better. Minus two stars for Deuteronomy (really drags the story down), the blatantly obvious Christ figure, poor foreshadowing, and the inexplicable lack of Voldemort.

This book was ghostwritten by Shakespeare, so I really expected more intrigue and obscure words for "chicken". The unicorns were a nice touch, though.

SPOILERS:
* Jesus dies.
* Final chapter scary as hell. I think there's a dragon or maybe it's a lamb disguised as one? I
Lia
Feb 27, 2011 Lia rated it really liked it
I'm not a religious person, however I appreciate the value of this book - if not in moral terms, then in academic ones. The large number of reviews commenting on the 'inconsistent narrator, poorly developed plot lines and two dimensional characters' are so appalling.. I've previously been embarrassed by the ignorance of my peers on this matter, but to see it coming from hilarious (!) adults is just sad, really. The Bible - particularly the Old Testament - is a wonderful example of early literatu ...more
John
Together with Shakespeare and the Book of Common Prayer, the Authorized Version had a decisive impact on the development of modern English. This edition presents it complete with the Apocrypha, which are an integral part of the translation (it was originally illegal in England to publish the Authorized Version without the Apocrypha). While other translations may be more suitable for scholarly use or study, the Authorized Version is without peer as a text for devotional and liturgical use, and fo ...more
Timothy Urban
After creating everything, God gets busy drowning, burning, smiting and cursing peoples' seed. Later his son turns up and suggests everyone be nice to each other. The people, far too keen on His dad's way of doing things, decide to kill him. The message of God's peace marches violently on until the last 100 pages, which are filled with a lot of colourful rabid nonsense that serial killers seem to like.
cessie
Feb 07, 2013 cessie rated it really liked it
Reading the Bible for my English studies, who would have thought that. I do understand why, no worries.

Fortunately I did have a good basis of Bible studies in my childhood and teenage years so that most of it felt familiar, because we had to work through the Bible in just a few weeks. It felt familiar and good. more
Joanne Nock
Sep 16, 2012 Joanne Nock rated it it was ok
Although I obviously studied this at school, this is the first time I had re-read it as an adult. Highly repetitive, inflammatory and in some sections nothing more than census-taking. Took an age to get through and whilst I needed to brush up on my geneology of it for pub quizzes, it was several months of my life that I won't get back.
Giuseppe V
Sep 27, 2016 Giuseppe V rated it it was amazing
I'm not about to rate the Bible itself, but I'll rate this edition.

I appreciated the concise commentary in the beginning and the end of it. The binding held up despite the book being so thick that it became cubic, and despite me shoving it in and and out of many bags and backpacks as I traveled.
David Smith
Mar 14, 2012 David Smith rated it it was ok
Now it is apparent to me. Maybe not to you but certainly to myself.

My thoughts concur wholeheartedly with those of Mr. Jon Willis. His review of the book is fair,honest, straight to the heart of the matter. One of the many finer reviews here at Goodreads.
christopher larue
Thanks Jesus.. I have been reading your stories for at least 30 years. The next time I see you I was hoping you could tell me some more awesome stories. Also I was wondering just how attractive was Bathsheba?
Seth Holler
Apr 26, 2016 Seth Holler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the Apocrypha for the first time. Judith and the Maccabees books are excellent stories; the additions to wisdom literature are impressive for human and divine reasons. Esther is ruined as literature. I'm ready to get back into Scripture.
Gloria
Jan 10, 2009 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the homemaker mother of one of my friends in high school once commented offhandedly while giving us a lift back from school: All of western literature is based on the book of Genesis.

p.s.- the apocryphal book of thomas rulez
Alan Linic
Jul 31, 2013 Alan Linic rated it it was ok
A little long, a little inconsistent. To be honest, I got bored from time to time and skipped entire sections. Having a little trouble seeing why it's the bestselling book of all time, but everyone talks about it so much I figured I'd better give it a shot.
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
I'm a Bible-buying hog. In my three years of being such, this is THE BEST Bible I've ever encountered. IMHO, though it lacks the Septuagint, this is the cream of the crop in regards to the English bible.
Goodreads Librari...: Merge/combine? 3 12 Dec 14, 2016 08:17AM
  • Elmo Says Achoo! (Sesame Street)
  • Magic Fish
  • Family Home Evening Resource Book
  • On Noah's Ark
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • A Child's Calendar
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Kingdom of Color (Disney Tangled)
  • Monologion and Proslogion with the Replies of Gaunilo and Anselm
  • You're All My Favorites
  • The Eclogues and The Georgics
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • Europe's Inner Demons: The Demonization of Christians in Medieval Christendom
  • The Essential Plotinus
  • The Golden Legend: Readings on the Saints, Volume I
  • Four Revenge Tragedies: The Spanish Tragedy; The Revenger's Tragedy; The Revenge of Bussy D'Ambois; And the Atheist's Tragedy
  • The Norton Anthology of Western Literature, Volume 1
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars.” 1 likes
“Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?† da.3.15 Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made; well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?† da.3.16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. da.3.17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. da.3.18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. da.3.19 Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and the form of his visage was changed against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego: therefore he spake, and commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated.† da.3.20 And he commanded the most mighty men that were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, and to cast them into the burning fiery furnace.† da.3.21 Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and their other garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.† da.3.22 Therefore because the king's commandment was urgent, and the furnace exceeding hot, the flame of the fire slew those men that took up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.† da.3.23 And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace. da.3.24 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.† da.3.25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.†” 0 likes