Start by marking “The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3)

The Loner (Bitter Creek #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  712 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The Blackthornes and the Creeds. Two powerful Texas dynasties–and lifelong enemies. Set in the heart of the modern-day West, New York Times bestselling author Joan Johnston brings to passionate life the clash of wills between Blackthorne and Creed...as a man and woman discover a love stronger than the forces trying to tear them apart.

Summer Blackthorne swore she’d never fo
Published March 26th 2002 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Loner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loner

Dinjolina
The 'hero', and I use this term lightly, takes the money from the heroine's father. The father is paying him to leave her. He....wait for it...does. He has a 'legitimate' reason-He wants to make it before he goes back to her. But...again,wait for it...does not tell her to wait for him. Does not even tell her what he plans to do. He just POOF, is gone.
Because he was sooooooo depressed, he bangs everything that moves and gets a woman pregnant. From this point on, he raises his son,alone.
Good for h
Miss Kim
The Loner is my favorite of this series, so far. We first meet Bad Billy Coburn in The Texan. He learned he is the bastard son of his family’s enemy, Blackjack Blackthorne. Before he had this important news, he was in love with Blackjack’s daughter, Summer Blackthorne. Oh no! Summer is his sister! But wait, Summer overhears her parents arguing and learns that she is not Blackjack’s daughter! Her father is her mother’s lover. Blackjack learns this and is crushed; however he still wants Billy to s ...more
Christel
Mar 28, 2009 Christel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance reader
Shelves: joan-johnston
This is the story of Summer Blackthorne and Billy Coburn. Summer and Billy had alsways been friends until 2 years previous when they become more interested in one another. Billy has loved Summer for years, but unbegknowst to him he is really the bastard son of Jackson Blackthorne and Dora Coburn. Summer is actually not the daughter of Jackson Blackthorne but the daughter of Blackthornes wife Eve and Blackthorne's foreman Russell Handy, who is in prison now convicted of murder.
Okay, Phew had to g
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Overall Rating: 5.00
Action: 3.0 / Emotion: 5.0 / Romance: 5.0 / Sensuous: 2.5 / Suspense: 4.0 // Laughter: 4 / Giggle: 2 // Tears: 8 / Teary: 3

The Loner: 5.00:
Joan Johnston's third book in The Bitter Creek Series is one of those books that is impossible to put down after reading that first sentence. This over-nighter, un-put-down-able book was so engaging, intriguing, and emotionally moving that it was impossible not to give it the highest rating -- five stars. Basically, this book just "spoke"
Jodi
Really liked this one. I was glad to see some of the feud between the two families resolved. Would have like more of Emma and Sam's story.
Andrea Hussey
Saadia
First time reading this author. Surprisingly gripping story with lots of melodrama and multiple people falling into each other's beds. The pace of the story was very fast and at times I wished for a little more insight into the characters' personalities. What made Eve, the beautiful talented artist turn sour and vindictive and eventually use her own suicide to frame her husband for murder? Hell has no fury like that of of a woman scorned. What made Summer grew into such a loving cuddly and givin ...more
Shera Melton
I started this book at 1:00 pm today, and I just finshed it (at about 9:45pm). Obviously I liked it a lot since I read it in one day, but I was a little unsure what rating to give this book. I had never read any of the other books in the series, or any other books by this author, but it was so easy to get into and can stand alone. My only problem with this book, is that at about the middle, the author establishes a romantic relationship between two of the secondary characters, and I found myself ...more
Medavis66
I enjoyed the twists in this one.
Kara
Very good book. I've read several of Joan Johnston's books through the years and have not read one that I have not liked. I like how she follows through with family trilogies.
Rita
A great book. The Blackthorne/Creed and their unlikeness of each other. They tie together from way back but don't like each others. Two families make for an interesting story. I will say I would hate to have a woman like Eve as a so called friend. It is a page tuner and probably the 357 pages will go fast.
Alisa
I met Joan and she is just as amazing as her novels. I loved this one as well.. it has all the things that I love in my romances, sexy as hell men, issues that seem like they will never let the pair be together but that in the end love wins out over it all and its just a great HEA.
Wendy
Jan 23, 2009 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance lovers, cowboy lovers
What Summer and Billy overcome in this book is amazing. There are just so many things against them yet they find love and happiness in the end. So many twists and turns here, yet a sense of love and loyalty come about.
I could not get over the fact that, though they were not blood brother and sister, they both thought of the same man as their father. Was there no one else in the world to have a relationship with?
Elizabeth Agoyi
When I heard the loner, I thought was realy a loner but I can't find any loner in here n there were too many characters n lot of hidden hints not forgetting the abrupt finish
Marianne
Only took an afternoon to read this. Keepin up with those lusty fighten Texans.
Katie Williamson
Best of the Bitter Creek characters get together.
Jeanne Davidson
So far all of her books are excellent
Kristina
Let me guess - the Loner finds love?
Ceirra Smith
Jul 11, 2012 Bethany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bethany by: Read along with Jenn
Shelves: cowboys
4.5 Stars
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • Forever After
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)
  • A Light at Winter's End (Cedar Springs #3)
Joan Johnston (born Little Rock, Arkansas) is a best-selling American author of over forty contemporary and historical romance novels.

Johnston was the third of seven children born to an Air Force sergeant and his music-teacher wife. She received a B.A. in theatre arts from Jacksonville University in 1970, then earning an M.A. in theatre from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1971. She received
More about Joan Johnston...

Bitter Creek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1)
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • The Price (Bitter Creek, #4)
  • The Rivals (Bitter Creek, #5)
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)
  • Shattered (Bitter Creek, #8)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1) (Bitter Creek #9)
  • Wyoming Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #2)
  • Montana Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #3)
The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1) The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2) Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1) (Bitter Creek #9) Frontier Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #1) Wyoming Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #2)