Start by marking “Two Babushkas” as Want to Read:
Two Babushkas

Two Babushkas

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In the 1930s, as waves of war and persecution were crashing over Europe, two young Jewish women began separate journeys of survival. One, a Polish-born woman from Bialystok, where virtually the entire Jewish community would soon be sent to the ghetto and from there to Hitler’s concentration camps, was determined not only to live but to live with pride and defiance. The oth ...more
Paperback
Published May 16th 2005 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published October 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Two Babushkas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Babushkas

Chrissie
NO SPOILERS!!!

This is an amazing book. It is definitely getting 5 strs. Who should read it? Those who are interested in life in the Soviet Union starting from the 1930s all the way up to 2002 and those interested in the persecution of Jews in Poland prior to and during WW2. You have to be interested in these two subjects. This book packs an emotional punch. It is about motherhood, friendship and survival. About humor and of course history. It is about how people are SO different. Sure we can sea
Lene
I found a lot of food for thought in this book despite its mediocre writing. Stories of WW2 are endlessly fascinating to me; I am amazed at both the victim's strength & the victimizer's capacity for evil. Where those 2 roles overlap, the ethics get murky and dirty and real.
What I know of the Soviet Union is confined to the lesson plans of my Higher history class. This book offered so much more than that, and the family love which flows between the lines stops it from ever being dry. Informative, with a heart of gold.
Florence
A fascinating account of persecution by the Nazis and the Soviets told in a very engaging style. Masha has the wisdom to be non-judgemental of her ancestors and the difficult compromises they had to make in order to survive.
Shonna Froebel
I've started to go back to one of my earlier book lists and read books that I put on the list years ago. This is one of them. Finally tracked down a used copy.
Masha was born in Russia, but emigrated to the United States with her parents and younger brother when she was a young teen in 1981. She had fond memories of her grandmothers and went back to Russia as a young journalist to spend time with them. She became intrigued with their stories and managed to get a grant to write this book. She has
Mary Arkless
This book was written by a young Russian woman whose parents emigrated when she was just eleven and took her and her brother with them. She thought she'd never see the rest of her family again. Then perestroika came and she found she could go back. She first went for a visit, then went for short stints for work, then moved ther. She got to know her grandmothers and learn their life stories. With their permission, she wrote this book.

Both families were/are ethnic Jews, one religious and Polish, t
Antonia
This was a finely crafted, true and very compelling family saga through a trying era of history. It put faces and feelings on those caught in the impossible vise-grip of fascism and the fist of Stalin.
Kerry
I like that this granddaughter investigates and writes about the personal experience of her grandmothers during World War II and their experiences in Russia and Poland. I really like both the grandmothers' (Ester and Ruzya)stories. They are determined, intelligent and have a zest for living. I have read a good number of books that take place in Germany and the different perspective was interesting. The difference between Ester and Ruzya's stories were frequently difficult to follow. Unfortunatel ...more
m_miriam
I have such an intellectual crush on the author and this book just added to my endearment of her. This is a heart-breaking history, told with a lot of love and compassion, and it's just very well written. The author's family emphasized the nuances and complexities of history, both personal and political, that are generally ignored, forgotten, or discarded because they are too hard to sit with. This book makes me think differently about my family and the way they have lived their lives within con ...more
Shannon Wyss
An excellent biography of two Jewish women living in the USSR during and after World War II, one from Poland, the other from the Soviet Union itself. Reading the stories of individuals who survived the Holocaust is an incredibly powerful experience, and Gessen's book is no exception. And while i have read more than a few Holocaust-related memoirs, this is the only one i've read so focused on women in the USSR -- and so focused on women in general.

Highly recommended.
Pamela
This book is not what I was expecting. There is a lot of shifting with personal comments throughout the book that are distracting. The book is organized chronologically, much of it based on the memories of Ester and Ruzya as told to the author, so it reads like a transcript of tapes. It takes a long time for all of this to come together. The writing style sounds like scholarly with its beautiful vocabulary, but it can get verbose.
Angela Rose
This book was so interesting to read in that the stories are memories shared by the writer's granmothers. Masha Gessen is a Russian journalist who has been the Russian correspondant to US News and World Report, she took some time from her career to spend with her grand mothers and record their story of living through this time in history.
Angela
I learned a lot about living through a war and political oppression from this book, and its subjects had interesting lives. Doesn't have the expert pacing of a novel, because it isn't one. I dropped it like a rock with 20 pages to go when something better landed on my nightstand. Not sure if that says more about me or about the book.
Angela
The writing was not my favorite. The story was interesting. There doesn't seem to be many books from the Russian perspective so I learned a good deal.
Andie
Amazing story of how 2 women dealt with Hitler's Germany and did their best to stay out of trouble.
Heather
A fascinating look at the lives of two Jewish women in Soviet Russia
Susy
learned alot and loved it
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Sophiecielo
Sophiecielo is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
GT
GT marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Linda Marie Marsh
Linda Marie Marsh marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Sarah added it
Nov 04, 2014
Mirjam Celie
Mirjam Celie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Marlene Kay
Marlene Kay marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Anfi
Anfi marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Paul Celan: Poet, Survivor, Jew
  • Resistance: A French Woman's Journal of the War
  • The Russian Dreambook of Color and Flight
  • Journey into the Whirlwind
Masha Gessen (born 1967) is a Russian journalist and author.
Born into an Ashkenazi Jewish family in Russia, in 1981 she moved with her family to the United States, returning in 1991 to Moscow where she lives now.[1] Her brother is Keith Gessen.
She writes in both Russian and English, and has contributed to The New Republic, New Statesman, Granta and Slate. Gessen is the Russian correspondent for US
More about Masha Gessen...
The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin Perfect Rigor: A Genius and the Mathematical Breakthrough of the Century Words Will Break Cement: The Passion of Pussy Riot Blood Matters: A Journey Along the Genetic Frontier Dead Again: The Russian Intelligentsia After Communism