Start by marking “Vincent van Gogh. Sämtliche Gemälde in einem Band.” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Vincent van Gogh. Sämt...

Ingo F. Walther

Vincent van Gogh. Sämtliche Gemälde in einem Band.

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,063 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Van Gogh, who took up a variety of professions before becoming an artist, was a solitary, despairing and self-destructive man. This richly illustrated and expert study follows the artist from the early gloom-laden paintings in which he captured the misery of peasants and workers in his homeland, through his bright and colorful Parisian period, to the work of his final year ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Taschen Deutschland (first published 1988)

Be the first to ask a question about Vincent van Gogh. Sämtliche Gemälde in einem Band.

Siddharth Jain
Jun 27, 2011 Siddharth Jain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a person who was not aware of the works of Vincent van gogh, I was surprised to read about the biography of the artist marred by trouble, depression, sadness and failures. For the 1st time, I could truly appreciate his use of dark tones, social themes and shades in his pieces, a result of his mental state. I have come out with utmost appreciation for his work and respect.
I cannot forget some of his last words - "I can't change the fact that my paintings don't sell. But the time will come whe
Fede
Mar 24, 2016 Fede rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non solamente i dipinti meravigliosi, ma anche una prosa incredibile hanno contribuito al mio voto finale -non che non sapessi già in partenza che sarebbe stato questo.

Nonostante il mio interesse per Van Gogh, temevo che sarebbe stata una lettura un po' prolissa (è pur sempre una monografia di 700 pagine, non esattamente qualcosa di leggero). Invece, non nego di essere rimasta piacevolmente sorpresa dal modo in cui gli autori hanno costruito il testo, niente affatto banale e ricco di interessant
Doris Raines
Mar 30, 2016 Doris Raines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I. Like. This. Book
Cam Mannino
Feb 22, 2012 Cam Mannino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are an invaluable resource to anyone studying Van Gogh, because they truly carry every painting and many of the sketches and drawings that the prolific Van Gogh did in his brief career. They are arranged in chronological order and that made them very useful as I was reading The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh, which are fascinating. (I've reviewed that as well.) These are large format, very heavy books on excellent paper - 300 pages or so in each volume. There have been complaints about ...more
bookyeti
Oct 31, 2009 bookyeti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The set is a beautiful hardcover collection of Van Gogh's work, as well as a riveting biography of his troubled life.

I own the 2-volume boxed set (1994). I purchased it 'previously enjoyed', on Alibris, and it is evident what a bargain this is! I've read that the newer edition of this book released by Taschen in 2001, cannot compare; it's a single volume and the art plates are very poor quality. If you're able to find this older edition, even if it's second-hand, go for it!
Witold Banasik
Jun 16, 2010 Witold Banasik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vincent is by far the most imaginative, passionate, witty and influential painter ever lived, and very souful, helpful, empathetic and hardworking man- a real human being- fantastic artists and amazing personality.
The work by Mr Metzger and his collegues is complete, amazing and essential for everybody interested in paintings like me. Afficionados go first, of course.
Amy Ko
Apr 19, 2016 Amy Ko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly admire the author's tremendous effort and great works on incorporating Vincent van Gogh's painting style and his life mainly based on the letters with his brother Theo chronically. It is a great dedication that the author relates Gogh's mind based on the letter to derive his evolving painting styles over his life.

I'm a big fan of Gogh's paintings that I always try to find his paintings in every art museum I go so I'm already acknowledged somehow that Gogh's works were not widely recogni
Jaimie
Nov 27, 2015 Jaimie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love having a complete collection of Van Gogh's work in a single volume, I was not completely impressed with this book. Unlike Taschen's publication which covers the work of Leonardo Da Vinci, this paperback version isn't split into two volumes (even though it is intellectually split) so it becomes pretty unwieldy without the strength of a proper binding. It's not quite as physically big as I expect an art book of this magnitude to be as well, so I feel that some of the reproduction ...more
Kent Seaburn
Apr 13, 2011 Kent Seaburn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This two-volume set deserves 5 starts for completeness and 1 star for the quality of the reproductions. The colors are horribly horribly off. It's better than black and white, but actually kind of worse. What I mean is, you may, after looking through these books, be tempted to think you have just seen accurate reproductions of the work of Vincent van Gogh. You would be wrong. The colors are muted and the textures are, well, blurred - the emotional impact is lost. The blues in particular are very ...more
Ralph Britton
Excellent illustrations of all the works, with a competent biography, but not that easy to read and sometimes a little heavy. It was interesting to follow Van Gogh's thoughts about painting and see his progress, but though the author was severe on the tendentious suppositions of other writers he indulged a few of his own. Not the book to give to a person you wanted to inspire with an enthusiasm for the painter.
FM
Jan 18, 2015 FM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tashen is the place to look for insightful approches to Art?

An imaginative, passionate, witty and influential painter perfectly depicted in his art and mankind.
The work is comprehensive, amazing and essential for every aficionado or even scholars.
Isabella Ksiazak
Vincent Van Gogh is my favorite artist so going through this whole book of all of his art was amazing. Beautiful Paintings with great detail. Helps when wanting to learn more about him.
Steve Atkinson
Aug 12, 2014 Steve Atkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well written, beautiful large reproductions. Top notch!
Dejah Bailey
137 m3 r34d my fuck1n9 800k p134se
Mii
Jun 27, 2014 Mii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read!
Michelle
Aug 15, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking..
Marjan
Nov 24, 2013 Marjan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Perhaps one of the best books on van Gogh out there (especially for this price!). The selection of the reproductions is representable, the prints are amazing (again: and for this price!) and the text is beautifully written, containing both the relatively decent interpretations of the paintings as well as biographical details of Vincent's life. The text also includes passages from his letters and other writings to make a complete portrayal of one of the most brilliant characters of the 19th centu ...more
Edward
Foreword: Deserted
--Vincent van Gogh: The Complete Paintings, Part 1. Etten, April 1881 -- Paris, 1888

Foreword: The Unity of Art and Life
--Vincent van Gogh: The Complete Paintings, Part 2. Arles, February 1888 -- Auvers-sur-Oise, July 1890

Vincent van Gogh 1853 -- 1890 A Chronology
Index of Names

Catherine
Jan 04, 2016 Catherine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
All my music, poetry, and art books could also be included in my "reference" section. Therefore, whether I originally read them cover to cover or simply drank in a few pages of wonder, I am attaching the date I added them to "Good Reads" rather than than any date that correlates to starting or finishing the book. I like to reread or refer to many of my books, particularly these.
MarkoGilmore
Za najiskrenije ljubitelje, ovu knjigu mozete naci u Vulkanu, i cena joj je 4862 dinara (a na BD-u oko 50e). E sad, ako je narucite online iz Vulkana, cena je 3890,00 din tako da se uštedi 972 din (20% popusta). Inace, imaju 20% na online porucivanje i ako ukupan iznos prelazi 2500 din, dostava je besplatna. :)
Nicole Ketelaar
It's a Great collection for those who want to become more familiar with Van Gogh's work, but some of the reproductions are low quality in resolution as well as color. Not to mention the dust jacket design is disgusting. Thankfully I got it at a steal when Borders closed; I would never pay the list price.
Diana Rosa
May 03, 2015 Diana Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bonitos, arte, otro-idioma
¿Quién interpreta para nosotros con formas y colores la vida grande y poderosa que en nuestro siglo cada vez es más consciente de sí misma? Yo conozco a un hombre. Un lobo solitario, un pionero que lucha solo en la oscuridad de la noche y la posteridad se acordará de su nombre: Vincent.

Rómulo
Nov 24, 2008 Rómulo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: viewers
Shelves: contemplados
Alguna vez leí una biografía de Van Gogh de la que recuerdo casi nada. Ahora que tengo este libro (expuesto en una de las estanterías de mi biblioteca) me paseo por su vida a través de sus pinturas, lo cual es mucho más emocionante e imperecedero. Las palabras se deshacen ante las imágenes.
Phillip
Apr 24, 2016 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Organization. Wonderful Art. Integrates Biography with Artwork in a highly informative text. Emphasis is on Art over Bio, but is delightful too as a result.
Mina
Jun 17, 2009 Mina is currently reading it
This isn't what my edition looks like (mine has two books in the set and different covers), but it was published in 1992 and seems about the same (Walther is one of the authors). Currently I am reading Book I.
Theresa
Oct 09, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite artist/painter. In 2006 the kids took me to the Getty for my birthday to see "Iris" There are no words when you are face to face with artwork that you admire so much. I will never forget it. <3
Trey
Feb 16, 2009 Trey added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I was a big van Gogh fan in my early twenties and, while my fervor has waned somewhat, I still am. His paintings are emotional and it's hard to see them without being moved.
Marcus
Jun 12, 2011 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-y, faves
History, biography, and amazing photographic reproductions. Van Gogh's life and art is brilliantly explored in this gorgeous TSS hen presentation.
arcobaleno
Nov 14, 2012 arcobaleno marked it as consultazione  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cataloghi-guide, arte
Cofanetto in due volumi:

1: Etten, aprile 1881 - Parigi, febbraio 1888
2: Arles, febbraio 1888 - Auvers sur Oise, luglio 1890
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • Frida Kahlo: 1907-1954 Pain and Passion
  • The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer
  • Rembrandt's Eyes
  • Bosch
  • Andy Warhol, 1928-1987: Commerce Into Art
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
Ingo F. Walther was born in Berlin in 1940 and studied medieval studies, literature, and art history in Frankfurt am Main and Munich. He has published numerous books on the art of the Middle Ages and of the 19th and 20th centuries.
More about Ingo F. Walther...

“Success is sometimes the outcome of a whole string of failures.” 41 likes