Vincent Van Gogh: 1853-1890

Vincent Van Gogh: 1853-1890

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  10,337 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This is an illustrated study of Vincent Van Gogh, one of the great forerunners of 20th century painting.
Published November 1st 1998 by Taschen (first published November 17th 1994)

Siddharth Jain
As a person who was not aware of the works of Vincent van gogh, I was surprised to read about the biography of the artist marred by trouble, depression, sadness and failures. For the 1st time, I could truly appreciate his use of dark tones, social themes and shades in his pieces, a result of his mental state. I have come out with utmost appreciation for his work and respect.
I cannot forget some of his last words - "I can't change the fact that my paintings don't sell. But the time will come whe...more
Zoe Brown
These books are an invaluable resource to anyone studying Van Gogh, because they truly carry every painting and many of the sketches and drawings that the prolific Van Gogh did in his brief career. They are arranged in chronological order and that made them very useful as I was reading The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh, which are fascinating. (I've reviewed that as well.) These are large format, very heavy books on excellent paper - 300 pages or so in each volume. There have been complaints about...more
bookyeti
The set is a beautiful hardcover collection of Van Gogh's work, as well as a riveting biography of his troubled life.

I own the 2-volume boxed set (1994). I purchased it 'previously enjoyed', on Alibris, and it is evident what a bargain this is! I've read that the newer edition of this book released by Taschen in 2001, cannot compare; it's a single volume and the art plates are very poor quality. If you're able to find this older edition, even if it's second-hand, go for it!
Witold
Vincent is by far the most imaginative, passionate, witty and influential painter ever lived, and very souful, helpful, empathetic and hardworking man- a real human being- fantastic artists and amazing personality.
The work by Mr Metzger and his collegues is complete, amazing and essential for everybody interested in paintings like me. Afficionados go first, of course.
Kent Seaburn
This two-volume set deserves 5 starts for completeness and 1 star for the quality of the reproductions. The colors are horribly horribly off. It's better than black and white, but actually kind of worse. What I mean is, you may, after looking through these books, be tempted to think you have just seen accurate reproductions of the work of Vincent van Gogh. You would be wrong. The colors are muted and the textures are, well, blurred - the emotional impact is lost. The blues in particular are very...more
Mii
This book was a great read!
Marjan
Perhaps one of the best books on van Gogh out there (especially for this price!). The selection of the reproductions is representable, the prints are amazing (again: and for this price!) and the text is beautifully written, containing both the relatively decent interpretations of the paintings as well as biographical details of Vincent's life. The text also includes passages from his letters and other writings to make a complete portrayal of one of the most brilliant characters of the 19th centu...more
Wilde Sky
Vincent Van Gogh’s life and work is detailed in this biography.

I found this book interesting for a number of reasons. Firstly his family background was discussed which gave a fuller picture of the artist, his training and the financial support he was given – which contrasted with the normal picture of an unloved, penniless madman. Secondly the book contained numerous examples of his works, many of which I thought were very good.
Nicole Ketelaar
It's a Great collection for those who want to become more familiar with Van Gogh's work, but some of the reproductions are low quality in resolution as well as color. Not to mention the dust jacket design is disgusting. Thankfully I got it at a steal when Borders closed; I would never pay the list price.
Diana Rosa
¿Quién interpreta para nosotros con formas y colores la vida grande y poderosa que en nuestro siglo cada vez es más consciente de sí misma? Yo conozco a un hombre. Un lobo solitario, un pionero que lucha solo en la oscuridad de la noche y la posteridad se acordará de su nombre: Vincent.

Rómulo
Nov 24, 2008 Rómulo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: viewers
Shelves: contemplados
Alguna vez leí una biografía de Van Gogh de la que recuerdo casi nada. Ahora que tengo este libro (expuesto en una de las estanterías de mi biblioteca) me paseo por su vida a través de sus pinturas, lo cual es mucho más emocionante e imperecedero. Las palabras se deshacen ante las imágenes.
Mina
Jun 17, 2009 Mina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't what my edition looks like (mine has two books in the set and different covers), but it was published in 1992 and seems about the same (Walther is one of the authors). Currently I am reading Book I.
Theresa
My favorite artist/painter. In 2006 the kids took me to the Getty for my birthday to see "Iris" There are no words when you are face to face with artwork that you admire so much. I will never forget it. <3
Trey Shiver
I was a big van Gogh fan in my early twenties and, while my fervor has waned somewhat, I still am. His paintings are emotional and it's hard to see them without being moved.
Jenn
Aug 11, 2007 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: other artists
Although this book had a lot of wonderful examples of Vincent's paintings and evolution of styles, it was still plenty meaty with biographical details.
Marcus
History, biography, and amazing photographic reproductions. Van Gogh's life and art is brilliantly explored in this gorgeous TSS hen presentation.
arcobaleno
Nov 14, 2012 arcobaleno marked it as consultazione  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte, cataloghi-guide
Cofanetto in due volumi:

1: Etten, aprile 1881 - Parigi, febbraio 1888
2: Arles, febbraio 1888 - Auvers sur Oise, luglio 1890
Katie Dreyer
The perfect companion to Irving Stone's Lust for Life - a wonderful way to follow Van Gogh's progress as an artist.
Paul
A great book. Shows all his paintings, plus drawings, and tells what was happening in his life at the time.
Fed
Excellent starting point if you are trying to get to know Vincent's work, but not a complete biography.
Shannon Bielke
This is a wonderful book, especially if you like van Gogh!
It's nice to see all his works on display!
Amber
I found that this book was very useful. It had a lot of information and awesome picture of his work.
Julia Boechat Machado
Uma boa biografia de alguém sobre quem surgiram tantas histórias.
Boa seleção de sua pintura.
Mason Markley
Feb 28, 2010 Mason Markley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize he did most of his work in just about 10 years.
Allison
Bargain book I bought for having large nice prints of paintings.
Damián
Se nota que me encantan las pinturas de Vincent Van Gogh?
Cheryl Schibley
All Van Gogh fans - this is a keeper.
1001 Acessórios
O meu pintor favorito.
Saichonnanee R
Just like Vincent's painting
1001 Acessórios
Pintor Favorito
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • The Complete Paintings and Drawings
  • Frida Kahlo: 1907-1954 Pain and Passion
  • The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher
  • Dali: The Paintings
  • Dear Theo
  • Goya
  • Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist
  • Frida Kahlo: The Paintings
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Bosch
  • Caravaggio, 1571-1610
  • Hopper
  • The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer
  • Egon Schiele: Drawings and Watercolors
  • The 20th Century Art Book
  • Van Gogh: The Life
Rainer Metzger is a writer and cultural historian, and professor of art history at the Academy of Karlsruhe, Germany.
More about Rainer Metzger...
Gustav Klimt: Drawings & Watercolours: Drawings and Watercolours Berlin: The Twenties Munich: Its Golden Age of Art and Culture 1890-1920 Juergen Teller: Louis XV London in the Sixties

“Success is sometimes the outcome of a whole string of failures.” 22 likes