Start by marking “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare” as Want to Read:
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

4.48  ·  Rating Details ·  41,155 Ratings  ·  529 Reviews
A photographic reprint of some older edition (early 20th century?). No publisher or year indicated.
Hardcover, Paper Dust Jacket, 1264 pages
Published (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, please sign up.

Edward Richmond Yes, this is the whole thing. Hence "Complete Works."

Yes, this is the whole thing. Hence "Complete Works."

Everything in it was written by Shakespeare. Nobody else, unless you believe the wild theories that say it was all secretly the work of Sir Francis Bacon (I don't).(less)
Sam Hickey There are many, many editions of Shakespeare's complete works, and lots of them have line numbers, but some of them don't. If you absolutely need an…moreThere are many, many editions of Shakespeare's complete works, and lots of them have line numbers, but some of them don't. If you absolutely need an edition that has line numbers then may I suggest the Norton edition of Shakespeare's complete works? It is the whole shebang with line numbers, helpful explanatory essays, and extensive annotations and textual notes. The binding leaves a little to be desired though, so you are making a little bit of a trade off for the breadth of content, so if you want a lovely leather bound one then you might have to do a bit of research.(less)

Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: The Complete Works of Shakespeare versus Deep Learning

Ubergeek Andrej Karpathy had the bright idea of training a recurrent neural network on the complete works of Shakespeare. It produces remarkably good output for an algorithm which not only knows nothing about Shakespeare, but can't even tell a noun from a verb! Here is the first of the two samples he gives:

PANDARUS:
Alas, I think he shall be come approached and the day
When little srain would be attain'd into bein
Vane J.
Feb 08, 2015 Vane J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It all ended so fast. I feel like it's just January, but look at the calendar - it's December! You surely remember earlier in the year when I said I had put a challenge for myself. This was the Shakespeare Challenge, in which I had to read all the works known by William Shakespeare. Guess what? I finally read them all!

It started in January. I was bored and I didn't know what to read. One day I went to the library and checked out a book that contained 4 of Shakespeare's best plays. I read it and
Ted
Jan 27, 2014 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have I read this book? Only part of it.

But is anyone going to argue about my rating?

See bottom of review for a list of the plays in order

What follows is little more than the GoodReads description of the edition pictured. But I feel I can do that, since I wrote the description.

This tome includes all 37 of Shakespeare's plays, as well as his poems and sonnets. It was produced "for college students in the hope that it will help them to understand, appreciate, and enjoy the works for themselves. It
midnightfaerie
Apr 23, 2012 midnightfaerie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I understand now why I have such a hard time reading Shakespeare. It's not that it's hard to understand. There are enough translations and self help guides to get you through the plot of any of the plays. And once I started reading and translating, I started to get the hang of it, and had fewer words and phrases that I had to look up. No, it's not that. Simply put, it's a play, and not meant to be read. I know there are some who might disagree with me, however, that's my opinion. I revel in the ...more
Maddie
Nov 15, 2016 Maddie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Free on kindle today
Crito
Sep 21, 2015 Crito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the question is "do you recommend Shakespeare?" the answer would be of course, in what universe would he not be recommended?
So I guess the one that would get any conversation whatsoever would be "would you recommend I read the complete works"? Well it certainly is a ride, a journey, there's quite a bit of stuff in here. One thing I'll say is I'm still not entirely convinced of literature's claim on Shakespeare because when I read these plays there's a yearning for performance, for interpretat
Kelly
Update: Seven plays into my current spree, I'm going to have to put this on hold due to a lack of time. I've now read 17 total- my most severe weakness is the histories (have only read Richard III and Henry IV). When I come back to this project, I think that I will be reading those in order.

1st: Macbeth (finished-review posted)
2nd: Two Gentlemen of Verona (finished-review posted)
3rd: King Lear (finished-review posted)
4th: Merchant of Venice (finished-review posted)
5th: Othello (finished-review p
GoldGato

There's special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come. The readiness is all.

If readiness be all, then this volume is a staple on any bookshelf. Ready to be opened for quick quote checks, ready to be heaved at home intruders (it's really heavy), it is useful in so many ways. It stays open on the window shelf, so the afternoon breeze can choose its special pages. Additionally, there are several
Nicholas Whyte
J. Alfred
Jun 10, 2013 J. Alfred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Frankie in Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes says that "Shakespeare is like mashed potatoes; you can never have too much." It's a compliment both to the poet and the potato, and I agree wholeheartedly. To read the ol' Swan of Avon straight through has, I believe, made me legitimately smarter, and not just in a know-more-stuff-in-my-chosen-profession sense, but in a understand-the-world-around-me sense. Eliot says that Shakespeare and Dante "divided the world between them, and there is no thir ...more
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course I loved it. I have a functional hardcover from college, this one, and miscellaneous paperbacks from high school which I suppose I could get rid of. Will is my man. This is what having a crush on your seventh-grade English teacher leads to: Bardolatry. [thanks for that word, [author:Lauren Baratz-Logsted|27212]
Ben
May 17, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, what can I say? I decided to begin the year by reading the complete works of the Bard. I spent nearly every day for the past two months with the Immortal Bard, tangled in the deep richness of his verse, reading all of his 37 plays (I am not counting here “The Two Noble Kinsmen,” which has only recently and contentiously been added to the Shakespearean cannon) and the entire poetry (the sonnets and minor epics). Now that I am finished I feel a plethora of emotions. First and foremost, I fee ...more
Jean
Please note, this is a review of this particular edition of the "Complete Works of William Shakespeare" from 1923. For reviews of various individual plays by Shakespeare, please see my shelves. **

This edition was published by "The Literary Press, London" on fine paper, to traditional standards, with each section sewn into the spine rather than glued. The top edge of the volume is gilt-edged. It has a soft cover with a burgundy leatherette finish, and gold lettering, plus a gold embossed design o
Nicole Pramik
How do you honestly review Shakespeare? Other than simply say the Bard was a genius in storytelling, character creation, and (of course) writing. But just saying that seems too simple even though it's the truth. It is a shame that people seem to get scared off from reading Shakespeare because of the language. For me, part of the appeal of his works is his language. It's like a chameleon that changes to the setting and mood; at times, it can be beautiful and effortless like poetry, and at other t ...more
Steven Taylor
Oct 16, 2009 Steven Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing this when voting on the book list has inspired me to gush: Maybe I should put this under "currently reading" because I'll be reading and re-reading these my whole life. What can I say that hasn't been said already? The funniest comedies, the most passionate love stories, the most heart-wrenching tragedies. And of course, all of it in the most beautiful language ever written in English.

Tragically, so many start reading a play, get frustrated by the language and give up. I think that'
Arsnoctis
Mar 31, 2015 Arsnoctis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interrompo la lettura dell'opera completa di Shakespeare, edizione del Progetto Gutenberg, solo perchè mi sono procurata una copia cartacea di un'altra casa editrice. Per quel che ho letto (Sonnets, All's Well That Ends Well, Antony and Cleopatra, As You Like It, The Comedy of Errors) si tratta di un'edizione ben fatta. Soprattutto tenendo presente che è disponibile gratuitamente. Sono davvero entusiasta di aver deciso di fare questa lettura in lingua inglese, non solo si tratta di un ottimo di ...more
Jeb
Jun 17, 2007 Jeb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorites: Hamlet, The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, King Lear. Second-favorite: Othello. Don't give as much of a damn about as I should: Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Julius Caesar. I tend to enjoy but the plots muddle in my head: Much Ado, As You Like It, Comedy of Errors, All's Well That Ends Well, Twelfth Night. Would like to see/read/study: Winter's Tale, Tempest. The histories: not interested.
Natalie
Oct 06, 2015 Natalie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I was set a challenge by my dad many years ago that if I read this entire complete works he would pay me challenge accepted I am now going to try and complete that challenge.....

I have already read Macbeth,twelfth night,midsummers nights dream and much ado about nothing but mostly at school.So I'm going to try and reread them too. As I think I'm going to have different opinions on them as an adult.
GoldGato
This is a behemoth of Shakespeare's works. Sonnets, dramas, comedies, histories. Everything. This is the proud tome that stays open on a bookstand, lording it over the smaller p-books. Of course, it has to sit on its own stand, as it's not built for mobility. Handy yet monstrous.

If you make it to the end, the Appendices bring a boatload of facts to the reader. Witches And Witchcraft, Tortures And Punishments, Cuckolds And Horns...Elizabethan strangeness.

Book Season = Year Round
Drew Butler
macbeth is a famous play by shakespear who just so happends to made romeo and juliet. The book has the original diolaoge and the same amount of tragedy and action as the original. macbeth is about a man who is feirce and intimidating. He is played off as almost indestructable. like a 1600s hericles. the story has murderers, witches and even romance. I recomend this to anyone who enjoyed the romeo and juilet movie or book.
LynAnne Smucker
Oct 22, 2014 LynAnne Smucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read a lot in college, seen a lot of productions of the plays, read some of the sonnets and haven't read all of his works, but then unless you are a Shakespeare scholar there are some plays that aren't the most interesting like Titus Andronicus or Trollius and Cressida.
Andreashide
Jun 12, 2015 Andreashide rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leer Shakespeare es redescubrir un universo de referencias culturales y vitales... Me encantó Antonio y Cleopatria
Artifice Magazine
Mar 18, 2009 Artifice Magazine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rebekah
This is a good edition.

My dad got it for me. It already had an inscription in it:

"Christmas Day, 1911. --Mother."

My dad wrote,

"Rebekah Gifford Silverman. 1995. --Your Father."
Alexis Hall
Well, this guy is generally considered pretty good.
Allison Claire
How can you not love Shakespeare?
Enrique Cisneros
Es un libro que HAY que tener... aunque no lo lean, apantalla a la gente que lo ve en librero!!! no me cansare de decirlo: Shakespeare esta en todas partes.
Jan Clayton
Jan 12, 2011 Jan Clayton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in college and then have reread sections of it since them. Each time I read from the book, I get more out of it.
James Powell
Sep 12, 2013 James Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use this as a reference book. It's the one I pull off the shelf if I need to check a quote.

For the working copies, I use paperbacks that I ruin for others with my marginal notes.
Abeer Elnagar
Jul 01, 2013 Abeer Elnagar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
شكسبير طبعا مش محتاجه اتكلم عليه ..
Becki Lee
Jan 06, 2013 Becki Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, owns
Loved it! I can't wait to read the next two in the series.
Blog Post! 1 5 Oct 20, 2013 10:50AM
How to Promote YO...: Selling your book 3 33 Aug 06, 2012 12:37PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect ISBN 1 37 Oct 21, 2011 11:22PM
Question 1 23 Oct 12, 2009 12:16PM
  • The Complete Plays
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1: The Middle Ages through the Restoration & the Eighteenth Century
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
  • Immortal Poems of the English Language
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • Charlotte & Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • Shakespeare After All
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Who knows himself a braggart, let him fear this, for it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.” 63 likes
“Would the fountain of your mind were clear again,
that I might water an ass at it!”
3 likes