Start by marking “Venezia: Food and Dreams” as Want to Read:
Venezia: Food and Dreams

Venezia: Food and Dreams

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
To Tessa Kiros, Venice isn't just a place to visit, it is also a place to discover inspiring magical moments. She shares these special moments with foodies and fans in "Venezia: Food and Dreams." This stunning book is so much more than a cookbook. It's a personal journal, a travel guide, and a memoir about Tessa's love for Venice, Italy, and its special place in her heart— ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Murdoch (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Venezia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Venezia

C. Gregory Thompson
Venezia: Food & Dreams is a love letter to Venice. Reading it and cooking from it is a bit like looking at a Caravaggio painting. The dreamlike colors of the photos, the lovely setting of Venice, the simple yet forthright recipes. This book is written, photographed and designed in a dreamlike fashion; one that is so often associated with Venice. Tessa Kiros knows her subject well. In addition to the wonderful recipes, Kiros sprinkles in her thoughts, and comments; her experiences in the city ...more
Christine
Oct 06, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Glowing and bronzed, the book whispers from the shelf: open me. I am caught. It’s alluringly rich with memories and recipes, the food seductively photographed. I come away from the first read of Venezia: Food and Dreams enchanted.

You see, I have been to Venice, and this cannot be the same city I visited. I recognize it from the photos, but the food, the food!, so lush and local and homey and ancient. That’s not what I ate. Yet it’s exactly what I looked for when I traveled there, what I expected
Gail Cooke
Oct 09, 2009 Gail Cooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Venezia certainly contains a number of uniquely delicious recipes, it cannot be called merely a cookbook but perhaps more appropriately referred to as a work of art. It is among the most beautiful books I've seen with a flower and food bedecked cover so inviting that you want to frame it plus gilt-edged pages, and a black velvet ribbon bookmark.

The dedication page reads, "For Venice - may you stand strong and beautiful forever." Obviously Kiros's words come from one who understands and lo
Katie
Sep 06, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this book is absolutely beautiful. The photography is lovely, the gold, the sweeping font, it's just a stunning cookbook.

This cookbook was filled with lots of recipes that made me want to go to Venice and have someone cook these dishes for me. The book did not inspire me to make the dishes at home. So I guess it is a successful travel book, but not a successful cookbook. I found some of the recipes had items that were a little harder to come by so I wouldn't be able to replicate th
Sherri
Mar 12, 2014 Sherri rated it really liked it
Beautiful book which confirmed I absolutely must go to Venice! A few ingredients I found difficult to find here but there are substitutes and I was able to recreate a few dishes. Lovely to read and to cook from.
Deb
Jul 29, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love the lush beauty of the cookbooks Kiros creates. Part travel journal, part cookbook, Veniza is no exception. Full of delicious sounding recipes observations about the Venice, it belongs on both the coffee table and in the kitchen.

The Gelato al Limone (Lemon Ice Cream) and Sgroppino (Lemon Chill--basically a "Milkshake" for adults are delicious. Here's a link to the recipes and pictures: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Caroline
Dec 30, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
This is such a gorgeous book. A beautiful blending of travelogue and foodie memoir with some of the most stunning photography. It perfectly captures the spirit and essence of Venice. And it's lovely enough to leave out on the coffee table for people to daydream over. Recommend! I liked it so much I gave it to a dear friend for Christmas as a reminder of her trip to Venice this year. My first Tessa book on recommendation from a friend, and am now off in search of more.
Hans
Aug 09, 2012 Hans rated it really liked it
This beatiful book jumped of the shelves in a cookbook shop in bookcity Deventer. If you read Falling cloudberries, this is as good, however personally I like Fallingcloudberries, my christmas present, better. this was a gift i gave myself. It has a good mix of easy and more complex recipes. The book is well written and has nice typography and stunning photos. Just read parts of it when enjoying an italian icecream in the city of Deventer.
Paul
Mar 18, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful cookbooks in my possession. The color photographs alone are worth the price of admission and the recipes are outstanding. The main focus of course is fish and seafood but there are other recipes included which are typically Venetian: the famed panini with crustless white bread and fresh mayonnaise, the Fegato alla Veneziana and so many more delectable dishes. Bon appetito!
Catherine Woodman
This is ia gorgeously produced cookbook, with enchanting photos of Italy--I got it out of the library to see if it would draw me to Venice, which it did--but it is chock full of fish recipes that I can't make in Iowa--I don't know but it might be a book that when you get home from your Venice trip you might decide that you have to have it because it reminds you of the place.
Murissa
Jul 16, 2012 Murissa rated it liked it
Contains beautiful photography of both food and places/ people. My only complaint is that the recipes are either too simple or I am unable to find particular key ingredients in Canada and at times they don't look or sound appetizing. If nothing else this is a lovely book of photography and contains great drink recipes.
Carla
Visually and tactilely(?)beautiful, the photos, the gilt, the velvet bookmark. The recipes look yummy. But actually sticking this book on the kitchen counter and making something? I'd be afraid to spill. That's why my Joy of Cooking looks like it's been through the food wars....
Mrs.
Oct 31, 2009 Mrs. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really unusual, gorgeous book. Very heavy emphasis on seafood, with ingredients that most American cooks will be hard pressed to find (baby octopus, squid ink, fresh sardines . . . ). Glossy, heavy paper, gilt edged, with a black velvet ribbon as a place marker.
Sophie Wainwright
May 09, 2013 Sophie Wainwright rated it it was amazing
Beautiful high-quality recipe/travel book full of gorgeous glossy photographs of Venice and delicious Venetian dishes. The text is passionate and persuasive, communicating an obvious love for the city. An inspiring book to keep and treasure.
Jane
Mar 03, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie, international
What a gorgeous book. It makes me want to return to Venice or go cook something delicious, or both.
Tiina
Jan 12, 2013 Tiina rated it really liked it
Very beautiful book!
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Sonja Susnik
Sonja Susnik rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Leilani Lanuza
Leilani Lanuza marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 06, 2016
Jacbook
Jacbook rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Bertolina
Bertolina rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Cassiope
Cassiope rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Ilona
Ilona marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
mrs s whincup
mrs s whincup rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Phil Hofstetter
Phil Hofstetter marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Laraine Cook
Laraine Cook marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Kim G
Kim G added it
Apr 22, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My French Kitchen
  • Italian Food
  • Burma: Rivers of Flavor
  • Made in Italy: Food and Stories
  • Maggie's Harvest
  • Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
  • Grass for His Pillow, Episode 1: Lord Fujiwara's Treasures (Tales of the Otori, #2 Ep. 1)
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • Fast Fresh Simple
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • India: The Cookbook
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Geometry of Pasta
  • Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes
  • A Life Less Ordinary: A Memoir
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia