Start by marking “Our Purpose: The Nobel Peace Prize Lecture 2007” as Want to Read:
Our Purpose: The Nobel Peace Prize Lecture 2007

Our Purpose: The Nobel Peace Prize Lecture 2007

SPEECH BY AL GORE ON THE ACCEPTANCE OF THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE, DECEMBER 10, 2007, OSLO NORWAY.
Published April 1st 2008 by Rodale, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Our Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Purpose

Nikki
Aug 12, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
A well written speech which pushes the global community to make changes and tackle global warming. Although it was given in December of 2007, all of the things held within the speech are still unfortunately very true. Little true progress has been made in reducing the impacts of global warming, especially on a global scale. Governments still cannot even agree on a new deal a la the Kyoto Protocol. Society still sees money as more important than environment even in the face of drastic destruction ...more
Doris
Jan 30, 2013 Doris rated it it was ok
This does give air to more concerns about global warming, and exhorts the world to take note that action is needed, and pleads with all nations to begin working on reducing our carbon footprint.

However. However. And again I say However.

Although this does have quite a bit of good material, at this level it needed to be better researched. There were several places within the writing where I questioned the facts, and here are 2:
1) he states that we can use coal without warming the planet
2) he stat
Wayne
Apr 14, 2013 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This is,perhaps, the fourth time I have read this speech.
It informs me not only of our apparent inability to concentrate and solve problems, but of the hope that we have conquered many other issues at least if not more difficult.
Should be required reading for all of us until our global climate crisis is solved.
A couple of nuggets;
pg 14: "In the kanji characters used in both Chinese and Japanese, "crisis" is written with two symbols- the first meaning "danger" and the second,"opportunity."
By f
Danielle
Jun 20, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I had picked this book up at a dollar store because I have always been fascinated with global warming and Al Gore. This book contained his Nobel Peace Prize speech and a few excpets from his novel An Inconvient Truth.

I view Al Gore as a very intelligent man, and have admired his stance on global warming and climate change. I have often wondered what would have happened if he would have won the 2000 election over George W. Bush; if my state hadn't screwed up the election, would Gore have won? Wou
Conico
Feb 06, 2012 Conico rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is book is composed of two parts: a copy of Al Gore's Nobel Lecture and an excerpt of his "Inconvenient Truth." The lecture portion, which was only about 20 pages, was a plea for cooperation for the explicit purpose of preserving the planet. It was inspiring but it was also highly referential and I frequently found myself stopping to check his references. Also, I thought I'd be reading more on the topic of peace, non-violence, anti-war, etc. and less on global preservation. I'm sad to say t ...more
Sarah Hayes
Jan 12, 2012 Sarah Hayes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics-history
A clear and concise call to action that is just as relevant now as it was in 2007. Also contains excerpts from his book, An Inconvenient Truth. It highlights an important issue that should be at the forefront of global action and needs resolution before it is too late: the future of our planet. An excellent must-read for people who want to take their first steps into becoming activists for the environment and halting the horrific effects of climate change.
Carmen
Aug 21, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing
A short but moving call to action. Inspiration for the 'Hero Generation'.
Katrina Hall
Katrina Hall marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Benjamin Wagner
Benjamin Wagner marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Kelsey Gray
Kelsey Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Allena Weber
Allena Weber rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Tessa Zuckweiler
Tessa Zuckweiler marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Aliibooks
Aliibooks marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Cassandra Barboza
Cassandra Barboza marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Maria Renteria
Maria Renteria marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jana
Jana rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Güldi
Güldi marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Aliza
Aliza rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Brian J.
Brian J. marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Robert Serrato
Robert Serrato marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Agnes
Agnes rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Albert Arnold "Al" Gore, Jr. was the forty-fifth Vice President of the United States, serving from 1993 to 2001 under President Bill Clinton. Gore also served in the U. S. House of Representatives (1977–85) and the U. S. Senate (1985–93), representing Tennessee. Gore was the Democratic nominee for president in the 2000 election, ultimately losing to the Republican candidate George W. Bush in spite ...more
More about Al Gore...