Wer die Wahrheit kennt : ein Richter-Fielding-Roman

Wer die Wahrheit kennt : ein Richter-Fielding-Roman (Sir John Fielding #7)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Sir John Fielding, a blind 18th-century London judge, is back in his Bow Street offices along with his young assistant Jeremy in this seventh installment in Bruce Alexander's well-crafted, intricately plotted series. When a crime spree in a well-to-do neighborhood not far from Sir John's home turns from robbery to murder, and witnesses identify the perpetrators as black me...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Btb Bei Goldmann (first published November 1st 2000)

Amy
It's been a while since I've read Sir John Fielding book. I'm glad I picked this series back up. The plot was very good and I enjoyed the writing. I like watching Jeremy Proctor progress into a young man and learned skills from Sir John. As always, this book also addresses social issues of the day and include settle parallels to today's societal issues. I won't say anything about the plot as it was very complicated and at times I was quite confused as to what was going on, but it all worked out...more
Ann
Another good John Fielding mystery - although I didn't like it as much as the last couple. I generally find stories involving robberies less interesting, so oh well. In this installment, Sir John and Jeremy investigate a series of robberies occurring in the wealthiest part of London by a gang of African men. However, Sir John doubts that they are actually black, and believes that the African population of London is being framed. The author brings up a lot of interesting issues regarding the Brit...more
Sharon
An interesting component of this mystery involves the appearance of Belle of the movie by the same name. The Uncle of the real Belle, Lord Mansfield, was truly the Lord Chief Justice of Britain and Sir John's boss. He appears in all the Sir John Fielding mysteries. Lord Mansfield was deciding the Somerset case during the story. Although it had to do with slavery, it was not the issue Lord Mansfield was deciding during the movie, Belle.
Meggie
This, the seventh book in Sir John Fielding series, was as always witty, full of humor and had a great developed storyline. Jeremy was mostly on its own in this book, which was a nice change in his plotted course. Sir John was shot at the beggining of their investigation and as such couldn't participate actively in the investigation. I loved one, specific humorous scene in this book. So, I'm going on to the next part!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Kathleen Hagen
The Color of Death, by Bruce Alexander, B-plus, borrowed from National Library Service for the Blind.

This is part of the blind Justice Sir John Fielding series, set in the 1700’s. In this one, the justice is shot, and therefore his main assistant, Jeremy, has to do the investigating of the murders, which begin as robberies. The burglars appear to be a bunch of African men, at least Black men. Sir John believes that is curious, though, as there are not many free Africans in England at that time....more
Victoria Grusing
These are well written and take you to the time they are set. The characters are very compelling. I love this series.
edifanob
I like crime mysteries set in 18th-century London.
Main characters:
Sir John Fielding, the blind magistrate of Bow Street
and
Jeremy Proctor, his protégé

Well developed characters, a well done depiction of of the culture and thought of the period.

I remembered the book when I found it during my search through my book chests.

Some books have been edited in German. Now I take a fancy to add all the missing volumes to my to-buy to-read list.
Since 2003 my English has improved and I think I'm able to rea...more
Lynne Dean
I've enjoyed this entire series enough to read all 13 books twice! I love the time period, and I like the insertion of historical persons, besides Sir John Fielding, but Ben Franklin, and Samuel Johnson and James Boswell.
If you like a break from the modern murder mysteries replete with graphic violence, sex, and foul language, these Bruce Alexander short novels are a treat, along with the 21 books in the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters, along with Ann Perry.
LJ
COLOR OF DEATH – VG
Bruce Alexander – 7th in series
After Sir John Fielding is wounded, Jeremy Procter must take the lead in investigating a spree of robberies and murder of noble families in their own parlors. Their one particular clue is that the robbers are all black men – or are they?

Beside the usual excellent writing and 1800’s police procedural, this book looks at the subject of race in Victorian times. This is a consistently good series.
Niffer
I was a little disappointed with this book when compared to the other Sir John Fielding mysteries. I felt as though the new characters were not quite as well defined as normal and that some of the returning characters were acting out of character. I also feel as though Jeremy is not maturing as much as he maybe should be.

Overall, though, it was a sound storyline, with enough humor to keep it fun, and a decent mystery to keep me guessing.
Rhonda
another good entry in the series. sir john is injured early in the story and jeremy takes a more active role in the investigation, initially. annie's story progresses and i anticipate a new character or two in the next book. there is a hint at a possible romance between clarissa and jeremy - he's now 17 and noticing his grown up feelings. it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. looking forward to number 8.
Dawn
I find this series constantly surprises me with its subject matter. I am very familiar with race issues within North America but never particularly think about how the Victorians thought about the matter. I thought this book did a great job of laying out some of the prejudices and reactions of the period.
Judy Seeley
I just finished the 7th in the series, 4 more to go. I continue to enjoy the time period, the 1770s, and the London setting, the blind magistrate, Sir John Fielding, and Jeremy Proctor, the young man he adopted as a boy. Jeremy is now his assistant and of course, helps Sir John to solve the crimes.
Fred Krapf
I didn't feel like there was much of a mystery here. I sort of figured it out before I was halfway through. Despite that, I like the setting and characters a lot. The interplay between the two main characters is very cute.
Dorothy
Sir John Fielding and his assistant Jeremy continue their fight for truth, justice, and the English way of being in this the seventh of the series. It is just as well-written and engaging as all the others.
Tracy
Here I thought I'd read all of these -- I thought there were only four or five in the series -- and I discover about half a dozen more at the library! I'm on a Bruce Alexander kick now.
S Dizzy
Bruce Alexander is fast becoming my favorite writer of British mysteries. I love Sir John and Jeremy! The social ill was racism and Mr. Alexander dealt with it superbly.
Lynn
This one had some nice observations on racism in the 18th century, in England and the US. In addition, of course, the wonderful characters and settings.
Randi
A Sir John Fielding Mystery. Told by a boy, Jeremy. Set in mid-1700s England/London. Some interesting historical lifestyle info. OK.
Janice
Love it! Alexander seems to get better as the series goes on. I really enjoy the detail that he puts into his books.
Donna
Another good one in this series. Some nice character development as the narrator ages.
Joe
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
...and another...obviously quick reads...
Julia Maddock
Julia Maddock marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Michell Karnes
Michell Karnes marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Torgny
Torgny added it
Jul 03, 2014
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • The Thief-Taker: Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Play of Dux Moraud (Joliffe the Player, #2)
  • The Whitechapel Conspiracy (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #21)
  • Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3)
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • Brother Cadfael's Penance (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #20)
  • Ringing In Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #16)
  • The Thief Taker
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.
More about Bruce Alexander...
Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1) Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2) Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4) Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3) Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)