Start by marking “Das Letzte Konzert” as Want to Read:
Das Letzte Konzert

Das Letzte Konzert (Sir John Fielding #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Bruce Alexander's books have the same addictive attention to detail as Patrick O'Brian's stories about the British navy. In fact, there really was a Sir John Fielding (1721-1780; would the Library of Congress lie?), the blind London magistrate so energetically restored to life by Alexander. And as he did in Person or Persons Unknown, Murder in Grub Street, Blind Justice, a ...more
Published (first published September 21st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Das Letzte Konzert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Letzte Konzert

John Lee

Although some of the books in this series have had to be purchased from across the Atlantic they are well worth it. This is the fifth in the set and 'The Blind Beak' is as on the ball as ever and 'young' Jeremy has started on his tentative steps towards a career in the law.

This story isnt so much a who-dun-it but a how-did-they-do-it.

On a recent visit to London we decided to hunt out the main area of activity of these books. We had a look around Covent Garden and then went to seek out the magi

Lynn
The characters keep getting deeper and more interesting, as does the historical detail. Some historical novelists want to impress their readers with their research, with lots of extraneous details clogging up the narrative. Alexander, though, has just the right touch, with enough to help readers understand the state of knowledge and social rules that influence the characters and plot.

If only they had the scientific tools we have today, it'd be a whole lot easier to determine cause of death. How
Paula Dembeck
This is book five in the ongoing Sir John Fielding mystery series that takes place in London in the early 1770s.
Annie Oakum and Jeremy are now about sixteen years old and continue to live with Sir John and Lady Fielding, considered almost members of the family. But they each have their own roles and responsibilities. Annie as cook continues to turn out delicious meals but she is also anxious to learn to read. Jeremy continues in his role as “Man Friday” to Sir John, filling in as scribe, read
Tara
Very much enjoyed this book. The plot was engaging enough to keep me turning pages, anxious to find out what happened next, and I really enjoyed the introduction of a new character into the Fielding household.

I'll admit that one of the two mysteries was a bit less gripping than it might otherwise have been, simply because I think any dedicated reader of mysteries might know a bit more about certain types of poison than your average 18th century magistrate... so there may have been a time or two
Ann
Meggie
This is only, the fifth book in Sir John Fielding series, and for me, the best one jet. All the main characters were awesome in their roles. The main mysterious deaths were divided in two separate cases and both cases were greatly developed, written and executed. I loved it all!
Sure, pace in this whole series in kind of slow and gives a calm vibe, but nonetheless, it's great work!
Sandy Bell
I love this series! A 1770's blind judge and the boy who is his eyes. (Sort of Holmes and Watson.) Fun, quick read with interesting and lovable characters. This wasn't my favorite of the series. yet it isn't stopping me from making sure I enjoy them all.
Nicole
This was not a bad book or a bad mystery. It even devoted at least as much time to the personal development of the main characters apart from the mystery, something I usually enjoy quite a bit. My entire problem was that I never really warmed to any of the characters though I don't necessarily think it was due to any flaw peculiar to them.
Dawn
When a lord unexpectedly dies at a concert, Sir John and Jeremy immediately look for foul play. But the murderer seems to have covered his tracks to well. And when a head is fished out of the Thames it is imperative to identify it before a proper investigation can begin.

It's fascinating to get an idea how brutal it was to be poor in this era and how lawless the streets could be. I constantly find that my impressions of this era and city have been formed by the rich and genteel, and they were rea
Nikki
This, the fifth in the series of historical mysteries featuring Sir John Fielding, the Blind Beak of Bow Street, and his ward Jeremy Proctor, is a worthy entry in the series. Jeremy's character continues to develop, as does that of the cook Annie. I gave it only three stars because I easily guessed the solution to one of the mysteries, since it hinged on a method of murder also used in a much more famous detective novel. Dr. Gabriel Donnelly, the ex-Navy surgeon, features largely in this book, a ...more
LJ
JACK, KNAVE and FOOL – G+
Bruce Alexander – 5th in series
Sir John Fielding and his young assistant, Jeremy Proctor, face a baffling pair of deaths. A lord dies suddenly while attending a concert. A disembodied head washes up on the banks of the Thames. While investigating both, Sir John and Jeremy will learn a great deal more than they ever cared to about family, greed, deception. and the peculiar nature of homicide, high and low.

Filled with the authentic sights and sounds of the era and well de
Karen
Didn't like some of the new characters introduced in this one.
Kristy Maitz
Always enjoyable reading material. Great work.
Tonya
I really enjoy this series.
Brandy Painter
I really enjoyed this series when I first started it but as I've continued it my enjoyment has been steadily decreasing. I skipped and skimmed great chunks of this one without missing anything and keeping up with both mysteries just fine. In the previous novel I noticed some places where 2oth century ideals and thoughts were being unrealistically spouted by the characters and this continues in this volume as well. I think maybe I need to take a break from the series for a while before moving on ...more
Jack
My third historical Sir John Fielding novel. This story set in 1770's London follows the exploits of charcters familiar to the series. Sir John is still assisted by young Jeremy and much of the household goings-on take center stage. Alexander does a good job of incorporating all of his charchters into the story without setting up a unrelated plot to put forward minor character story lines.
Rhonda
another good one in this series. jeremy is maturing and getting more responsibility. he seemed more independent in this one, too, and a new character was introduced. i liked that he called her miss pooh - funny. he's seeming like a big brother and is growing inceasingly valuable to sir john - both as a constable in training and a memebr of the family. on to #6.
International Cat Lady
An excellent - if at times dry - set of mysteries that intertwine around one another, and at times interconnect. Incredibly well-written and very British.

'When I asked Sir John if he had any idea of her whereabouts, he simply shrugged and said, "More than likely to the colonies. They seem to accept most of our trash." '

Haha.
Tracy
The best part of this book was tying a really nasty character in the last book in the series. I also like the way Alexander includes real people from that time period in London meeting his fictional characters in logical settings for them all to be. The murders at the heart of this book are not that interesting.
Judy
I thought I had read all of this series and was so delighted to find a new one in Bookbuyers, a great Monterey Bookstore. Great period detail and finely detailed characters. The mystery isn't exactly riveting but the story itself and the characters are.
Dorothy
Another winner in this fine series set in 18th century London. Reading these books will make you feel you are there, but read them in order so that you can savor the full flavor!
Randi
A Sir John Fielding Mystery. Told by a boy, Jeremy. Set in mid-1700s England/London. Some interesting historical lifestyle info. Pretty good.
Serbma
An historical novel. An interesting caveat of a blind magistrate with a very young, by todays standards, assistant. Ended up liking this read...
Janice
A great read! The books seem to be getting more complicated in their plot as the series goes on. Loved it!
Donna
Nov 28, 2009 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Leslie
Another good one in the series. I love the historical setting, and the plot lines are usually intriguing.
Kellyann
This continues to be the best historical mystery series I've ever read.
Joe
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
Another Sir John Fielding book in the series...
K Jackson
K Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Unnatural Fire (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, #1)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • A Wicked Way to Burn (Bracebridge Mystery, #1)
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • Pentecost Alley (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #16)
  • The Sudbury School Murders (Captain Lacey, #4)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)
  • Days of the Dead (Benjamin January, #7)
  • A Play of Knaves (Joliffe the Player, #3)
  • Folly Du Jour (Joe Sandilands, #7)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.
More about Bruce Alexander...

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)
Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1) Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2) Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4) Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3) Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)