Start by marking “My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life: An Anti-Memoir” as Want to Read:
My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life: An Anti-Memoir

My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life: An Anti-Memoir

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Live long and prosper? Ha.Last week, Adam Nimoy woke up in his beautiful house with his wife and kids in West Los Angeles. Today, he's waking up in a sleeping bag on an air mattress in a two-bedroom apartment with no furniture thinking, "How the hell did I get here?"

A thirty-year battle with drug addiction, three career changes, one divorce, a major mid-life crisis, and co
Published July 22nd 2008 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life

Jackie "the Librarian"
Jul 21, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, I guess, though it's slim-pickin's
Shelves: biography
Pretty good memoir from the "son of Spock", Adam Nimoy, who turned to alcohol and pot as a way of dealing with his father's distance and celebrity.
There are a few Star Trek anecdotes here, and Shatner is dismissed as a dope, but mainly this is a story about a man trying to put his life back together with AA and writing. Once he quit using, he realized that despite all the attempts at counseling, his marriage isn't working, and he has separated from his wife.
You can tell he really loves his kids
Julie
Feb 13, 2012 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: bios
Great read, especially for a recovering alcoholic!
Morrigan
This is a wonderfully honest and heartwarming book. Adam Nimoy is the son of Leonard Nimoy (Star Trek's Spock). But this book is not about growing up as his father son; rather, it is about being a father and maintaining a good relationship with his children while going through a divorce, battling a marijuana and alcohol addiction, his own relationship with his father (there are few and vague mentions of this) and finding a job.

The book is never dark or gritty or filled with lurid and scandalous
S. Wilson
One would assume that Adam Nimoy wrote this book in an attempt to capture the audiences of two specific markets: The `Behind-the-Scenes Hollywood Tell-All' and the `Bizarre and the Horrific Yet Somehow Humorous Memoir'. Of course, the key to writing for a specific market is to give that audience what it wants. This is where Adam's book fails to deliver.

Behind-the-Scenes readers love to get the inside gossip behind their favorite movies and TV shows. Not only was Adam Nimoy the director of some w
Samantha
I really wanted to love this book. It is funny and has a lot of good points in it. I'm not a Star Trek fan so I didn't really care that he was Leonard Nimoy's son. Yes, it might have been more fascinating if he would have delved into what that meant to him. This book bothered me because of the way it jumped around. It was like reading a stream of conscious. He would go from present to 3 years ago to a childhood moment to a conversation with one of his kids back to the present with no string to t ...more
Ron
Leonard Nimoy's son has a few celebrity-related stories to tell, but this is primarily an account of his decision to get sober after decades of frequent pot smoking, which further prompts him to recognize that his marriage isn't working, and how the separation on the road to divorce affects his relationship with his two adolescent children. Raw in its honesty, but frequently funny as hell.
Mary Frances
Overall not a bad memoir- and I meant that literally. Unlike many poison-filled memoirs by the chidlren of famous people, this one is surprisngly low key in outling the difficult and complex relationship Nimoy had with his father and his father's fame. Also seeems pretty honest in a non dramatic way about his own failings.
Ilana Lehmann
I read this book as research for the book about Star Trek that I am writing. It provided a lot of good material to think about, but not much information to include in my book. Adam Nimoy is obviously a smart guy who loves his children, who almost crashed and burned his life away. His story is interesting for the "inside information" but also for the almost cathartic manner in which he writes about his life and choices. I was most impressed that although he writes about some negative influences i ...more
Andie
I don't know why but I just liked it, really really liked it.
(and I'm not a recovering addict or something)
Kelly Collins
I read Adam's book, which I found hilarious, beautiful and heartbreaking. His depiction of the turmoil our kids experience with divorce, no matter the necessity of the split and the best intentions of their parents, was devastating. The book clearly expressed the pain, confusion and anger of both son and father with regard to their estrangement. I'm not only elated but impressed that these two found common ground, love and respect together. Both Adam and Leonard Nimoy will live in my heart forev ...more
Paul Pessolano
Somehow or other I expected better from the "Son of Spock". I know it must have been incredibly, wonderful, and miserable to be brought up in the shadow of a character portrayed on television as emotionless, logical, and totally in control of one's life.

For those "Trekkies" who will consider buying this book to learn more about the man from Vulcan save your money. There is very little in this book about Leonard Nimoy and his role as Dr. Spock on Star Trek. True, the story is about Adam's life, b
Mallory
I really enjoyed this book. I liked Adam Nimoy's conversational style of writing. In a memoir, that really grabs me. I don't like a lot of gimmicks or flowery language in a memoir. I like it when I feel like someone is just talking to me about their life, warts and all, rather than making it swing in one extreme or the other, funny or terrible.

This book offered me a really interesting perspective on divorce. My parents have been married for over thirty years and I had a pretty swell home life. I
Zauberlehrling!
Ich gebe zu, ich habe dieses Buch mit der Absicht bestellt, etwas über den privaten Leonard Nimoy zu erfahren. Das habe ich auch bekommen. Aber als ich dann so las, wollte ich gar nichts mehr von Nimoy sen. wissen, denn Nimoy jn. wurde plötzlich extrem interessant. Er erzählt mit großem Charme von sich und seinen Kindern und gibt dem Leser hin und wieder ein Flashback in seine Kindheit. Wenn er von seiner Beziehung zu seinem Vater spricht, schwingt sowohl Traurigkeit als auch Stolz mit. Das was ...more
Diane Kistner
Star Trek fans mostly interested in learning still more about "Mr. Spock" will not be disappointed with this book; however, true to his intentions (as expressed early on to the agent he calls Richard the Tall), Adam Nimoy gives us (and, surely, his family) a treasure:

"So I'm not totally averse to getting into the Star Trek stuff and maybe some of the complications of being my father's son. But most of my writings revolve around my life today, in terms of my recent divorce, raising two teenagers,
Zoe
The subtitle "anti-memoir" got me thinking about what that actually means. So is an "anti-memoir" actually about other people? Is an anti-memoir non-linear? I don't know.

Nimoy's got a few interesting anecdotes in here, but it wandered too much (from the past to present, his kids to his directing career, etc.) to seem like a coherent story to me.

He comes right out and says that the book isn't about his dad - and it really isn't. It's mostly about his divorce, his addiction to pot, directing TV s
Joe Scholes
Adam Nimoy is an interesting writer and there was just enough family information about his famous dad, in context with his own life, to satisfy my curiosity without making the book be about his dad. One of the things I liked and could relate to was his constant reference to Alcoholics Anonymous and his recovery process. I found a lot of similarities between us, as would almost any recovering alcoholic I think. But this was the first time I've read a biography of someone who's actually gone throu ...more
Angela
By the time I got around to taking this off my "to-read" shelf, I had already forgotten who his father is. And it worked out, because I didn't delve into it looking for "Spock gossip" or anything of the sort, and I like how it's not focused around his father, yet he still makes an appearance... in that 'dad' kind of way. Nimoy annoyed me sometimes, with his degregation of women and parenting skills, but you get the feel that he's trying; he screwed up and he wants to fix it, and you just can't a ...more
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. When I picked it up on a whim at the library, the title sounded fun, and the author was Leonard Nimoy's son...it sounded like it could be interesting. And it was. He writes a very honest and touching "memoir" about his way out of drug addiction and the how his relationships have changed for the better as a result of not being stoned all the time. Not all that suprising of a conclusion, but the ride to that conclusion was definitely worth my readin ...more
Ann
De schrijver is, zoals hij zelf zeg, behoorlijk bezig met zichzelf. En ja, hij wil graag een serieuse relatie maar ze moet wel mooi, sexy en slank zijn met prachtig haar. En hij blijft ze oppikken op AA meetings wat ook niet de beste zet lijkt voor een ex-verslaafde. Ik schrok vooral van hoe manipulatief zijn kinderen zijn. Ze misbruiken hem en hij lijkt te denken dat hij zo een goede vader is. Opgroeien in Hollywood heeft duidelijk z'n duistere kanten.
Eris
Self indulgent prattle, this man was a bit spoiled and so are his kids especially. Sorry, Adam, your story of recovery from marijuana addiction wasn't that fascinating. It was kind of masturbatory. It wasn't your biggest problem, narcissism is closer to the issue you need to be dealing with. DO NOT give this book to any addicts, recovering or otherwise, it will make them want to poke him in the eye.
Clint
I knew nothing about Adam Nimoy when I picked up this book from a deeply discounted bin somewhere but that he probably is Leonard's son. He is, and the book is part about existing as Spock's son but more about his drug/alcohol recovery life and how it affected his now ex-wife and kids. Not too bad in a sort of wonder-what-will-happen-next, life-doesn't-always-turn-out-perfect-but-can-be-OK sense.
Sharon
Write a review...Good book, I love how he mixed up tales of his present life, and then tales of his childhood.

It was also intresting to see what his son thought of living with and growing up with Spock.

I liked the book, especially tales of his dealing with his kids. He sounds like a great dad.
Farrah
Eh, it was just okay. A quick read, but he sure didn't want to go into any details about being the son of a famous actor or any of his exploits directing popular TV shows. Was more about his addiction to pot and his divorce, which I cared less about.
Satia
Sep 13, 2008 Satia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: trekkies, trekkers, star trek, recovery, alcohol, families of alcoholics, divorce, memoir
Really, this is a 2.5 stars book. And yes, it is Nimoy, as in Leonard (Mr Spock) Nimoy but this is his son writing and not so much about his father. Here's the full review:

Julie Still
Interesting read. He talks a lot about his children and his relationship with them. Another theme is his addictions and how he is working to overcome them. Work history and disruption thereof is also discussed.
Jeremy
Very interesting insights into the emotions and experiences of a recovering addict and divorced father. Oh, plus an interesting look at what it was like growing up as Spock's son.
Shawna
A great book, funny and poingnant. I am not a fan of Star Trek, I've never watched a complete episode, but I enjoyed Adam's stories about growing up in Hollywood.
Sylvia
Bio of Leonard Nimoy's son, who battled drug addiction in his father's shadow while raising a family on L.A.'s westside.
Neeka27
Felt like a broken record. How many times do we have to read about his kids upset & him feeling bad?!
MAP
Postcards From the Edge for the 21st century. Witty, insightful, and emotionally engaging.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »