Bringing the Boy Home

Bringing the Boy Home

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"I've seen what the world does to the weak. It'll eat you alive."

Tirio was cast out of the Takunami tribe at a very young age because of his disabled foot. But an American woman named Sara adopted him, and his life has only gotten better since. Now, as his thirteenth birthday approaches, things are nearly perfect. So why is he having visions and hearing voices calling him...more
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Bringing the Boy Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing the Boy Home

Auralia
This one was a must read. I loved it. The ending actually surprised me! I started reading this and knew that it wouldn't take me long to finish it but I couldn't put it down. When I finished it I was wishing that I had read it slower, so that I could still be reading it! I think that is a good one to recommend to young boys who are reluctant readers. I also think that everyone should read this.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Chelsea Swiggett for TeensReadToo.com

BRINGING THE BOY HOME introduces two unique boys as they approach their thirteenth birthdays. As tradition in their Amazon tribe, they must trek through the dangerous jungle as a test of their strength. If they survive after days alone in the Amazon, they will be united with their fathers for the very first time.

One boy, Tirio, now resides in America after being banned from his family and tribe for a birth defect that causes him to limp. As his b...more
Rachael
In the Takunami tribe that lives hidden in the Amazon rainforest, boys are trained from a young age for their soche seche tente, a test all boys of thirteen must pass lest they be banishes from the tribe. Two young boys grow up in completely different worlds. Tirio was cast from the Takunami tribe because of a disability and now lives with his adoptive parent Sara in the United States. But as his thirteenth birthday approaches, he is beginning to feel a deeper connection to his first home in the...more
Chrissy
Nov 27, 2008 Chrissy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for good middle school aged lit
Recommended to Chrissy by: heard NA Nelson speak at Barnes and Noble
es, it's written for middle schoolers, especially boys, but it's a great story. It's a quick read (at least, for adults) and it pulls you in. It's about a boy named Tirio who is a member of a tribe in the Amazon. When he is six years old, he's floated out into the Amazon in a canoe, presumably because he has a disability in his leg. He's discovered by a white woman who is in the area doing anthropology research and is adopted by her. He grows up in Florida.

It's told in two voices; by him and by...more
Pat
Tirio was cast out of the Takunami tribe at a very young age because of his disabled foot. An american woman adopted him, and his life has only gotten better since. Now, as his thirteenth birthday approaches, things are nearly perfect. So why is he having visions and hearing voices calling him back to the Amazon?
Meredith
Wow, I did not see the twist coming!!!!
Liviania
Tirio was adopted from the Takunami tribe as a young boy, after his mother left him to die due to his disability, a club foot. Adopted by an American anthropologist, he was raised with excellent medical care and love. Now that his thirteenth birthday is coming, he wants to return to the Amazon and become a man of the tribe. In a parallel story, a boy of the tribe is preparing for his own soche sente tente.

N. A. Nelson manages to pull off a clever twist in the story about what you think is happen...more
Tasha
Tirio comes from the Takunami tribe. They are hidden in the depths of the Amazon rainforest and live a totally secluded life. When Takunami boys reach the age of 13 they must perform their soche seche tente, a sixth sense test. When Tirio is just a young boy his parents know that he will never be able to complete this test because of his disabled foot, bringing dishonor to the family, and banish him from the tribe. They send him down the Amazon River, knowing he probably won’t survive. Luck was...more
Patricia Kaniasty
I really loved the two perspectives to life in the tribe and outside the tribe that this story offered. About 2/3 of the way through this book, I caught on to what the real story was between Luka and Tirio. Great story with great characters. I read it in 1 night.
Phil Quintana
I read this book out loud to my family while on a long trip; everyone loved it. The author did a great job of creating an atmosphere of tension and suspense that held the attention of 2 adults and 4 kids of varying ages throughout the book.
Terrie
In the Amazon rain forest a young boy prepares for his 13th birthday when he must take the "6th sense" test that, should he pass, will allow him to discover the identity of his father and seal his manhood within the tribe. This is the story of two boys approaching their 13th birthdays-one is preparing for that test, and the other who was banished from the tribe at age 8 because he had a deformed foot.
I thought the book was well written, with great descriptions of the rain forest, customs, and...more
Kimberly Newton
I recently spent a couple of delicious afternoons wrapped in a blanket, reading BRINGING THE BOY HOME. What an adventure. The writing is beautiful and I think the first chapter is one of the best I’ve read in a long while. You just can’t put the novel down once you start. The vivid setting on the Amazon, the way the author tells the story in alternating viewpoints, and the communication with the spirit-world is all so fascinating. I was also surprised by the very clever story twist at the end.

I...more
Christine
I loved this book, especially how things were revealed towards the end. Highly recommended to anyone.

I have been working in a high school media center for the past 4 years and really enjoyed all the YA lit that came along with it. This next school year I will be at an elementary school. I have been reading children's lit this summer. I have not found one book to get me back in the groove of children's lit until THIS BOOK. If I could give it 5 1/2 stars I would because it got me motivated again.
Victoria Whipple
In the Tukanami culture in the Amazon rain forest, a boy's 13th birthday is accompanied by a test to prove he is ready to be a man. Luka's mother has been preparing him for this test his whole life. Tririo is from the same place, but has been raised by an adoptive mother in Florida. He will also visit the rain forest for his own coming of age. The story parallels the two boys vastly different lives as they approach this milestone birthday. A fascinating look into a little known culture.
Erin
For me this was just ho-hum. Like many books for the pre-teen age group, I didn't like the way the main character deliberately disobeyed his mother and put himself in mortal danger. I understand that this was the entire point of the book, but in reading it I decided that I would not recommend it to my own son and daugther.

There was a surprise towards the end that I was not expecting. That brought it from a 2 star up to a 3 star. It was just okay for me.
Emma
I took a break from The Jane Austen Book Club to read this- because MJ put it in my hot little hands and said I had to read it. It is a gripping, double sided tale of a boy who was born in a tribe in the amazon but is sent away at the age of 6, supposedly to die. It tells parallel stories of this boy, and a boy still in the tribe as they approach their thirteenth birthdays when traditionally they take the soche sente test to become a man of the tribe.
Vicki
Apr 21, 2012 Vicki rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: tween
Tirio was rescued as a 6 yr old floating down the Amazon River by Sara who adopts him. He has always felt that he was cast off by his family since his one foot is deformed. When he returns as a 13 yr old, to the Amazon, his foot/leg is stronger and he hears the voice of his father calling to complete the soche seche tentre, a 6th sense test that all boys of his tribe must endure. OK
Michele
I read this book because the author is coming to visit DFS and I thought Nolan and I could read it together. The chapters switch between 2 characters making me feel it may be difficult for a 3rd grader to competely follow.
I would have enjoyed it more had it been based on an actual anthropological tribe from the Amazon, not a mythical one.
Overall, a good read.
Steven Parlato
This was a second read for me, so this time, I knew the surprise plot twist going in. That actually made the reading experience really satisfying in a different way. I loved reading it for the craft, the subtle way in which Nelson wove in hints and lustrous detail. This is a special book from a gifted author. I can't wait for her next!
Perry
As much as I enjoy middle grade fiction, this one didn't do it for me. A boy alone in the Amazon rainforest? And he doesn't get killed? It was just too light for me. Not that I really wanted to read about a kid getting maimed but I feel like there needed to more of a sense of danger in he air.
Stephanie A.
My favorite part of the novel was the part that focused on the abandoned young native boy being adopted by an American research scientist in the Amazon. Not that the rest wasn't good, it was just a little hard to maintain perspective between the parallel stories.
Hope
Pretty good book. I liked it fairly well. I was not a fan of the ending, though. This is a two part book, switching back and forth between life of a Amazonian boy in the U.S.A, and a Amazonian boy living with his tribe in the rain forest.
Kaitlin
Jul 27, 2012 Kaitlin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
Angie
totally didn't see the end coming. Great read - definitely keeps your attention. Well written, excellent storytelling. Very compelling story contrasting too boys journey into adulthood. Young boys will definitely enjoy this book.
Rayda
This book was really surprising to me. I loved reading about the two boys . . . one an Indian native in the Amazon, one in America in the suburbs. It was very moving, especially the ending.
MJ
Adventure/Survival
Because of his clubfoot 6-year old Luka was set adrift on the Amazon River to die. As his 13th birthday approaches he’s pulled back to the Amazon. Amazing story!!!
Diereshe Collins
This book was may favorite of all the Georgia Book Award Nominees for 2010-2011. Great story! It kept the reader captivated, waiting on the next event to unfold...
Melissa
A really good story about a 13-year-old boy who's been cast out of his Amazon tribe, and his quest to return. Better than the cover will have you think.
Mrs. Zummak
Two twelve-year old boys grow up in different worlds and,yet, they are strangely connected. I predict this will be very popular at Ross!
Nancy Keller
Children's book - 2010-2011 Mark Twain nominee. Story doesn't seem believable - things just work out too well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »