Start by marking “Death al Dente (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Death al Dente (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 4)

Death al Dente (Gourmet Detective #4)

The Gourmet Detective did not expect his job to be easy. He had been sent by Desmond Lansdown, respected actor and London's premier restaurateur, to find the best chef in Italy. But even the most difficult tasks can be savored when one enjoys his work, and the sleuth happily immerses himself in his duties, sampling the peninsula's finest cuisine with his beautiful and myst ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death al Dente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death al Dente

Linda
Jun 24, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice cozy mystery, easy to read, and focusing on Italian cuisine.
Dan
Apr 25, 2017 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, hmm... I've read the whole series now. I'm not going to do individual book reviews, some of them are better than others, but they're all enjoyable, quick reads. Then again, throw gourmet food and wine into anything and I'm likely to add some points to it in my mind. Bizarrely, though, given that I gave all the books three stars, I don't know that I recommend them. Had they been written fifty years ago, I'd give them some more slack, but here are my issues with, well, all of them:

The gourme
Jeannine Stewart
First, do not read this book if you are hungry or on Weight Watchers, as I am. I think it took me so long to read because I had to keep putting it down to maintain willpower. The plot evolves around The Gourmet Detective who is hired to go to Italy to find an Italian chef for a London actor and restaurant owner for his new restaurant. I started reading this book because I love to cook and I love mysteries, however, every meal and snack is described in tremendous detail including every wine in th ...more
Johnice
Feb 11, 2017 Johnice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the TV version much better. at least they have no milking bison stampedes.
Allan
Feb 03, 2009 Allan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rogue Reader
Not sure why I enjoy these pedantic cozies by Peter King, but I do. There's always something unusual, and in Death al Dente, the Gourmet Detective is off to Bologna to determine which of three chefs will be most suited to a new London restaurant. Wonderful treatment of regional Italian cuisines and wines, the personalities of chefs and their restaurants and Italian women too.

--Ashland Mystery

Marcella
Mar 09, 2016 Marcella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gourmet Detective is absolutely one of my favorite mystery series and this particular book certainly did not disappoint. What could be better than reading about delicious Italian dishes while traveling through Bologna, Italy, with the Gourmet Detective on his search for the best Italian chef. The book did present an ending twist on who done it after providing much incriminating evidence that could have convicted many of the characters.
Mary Corso
Jun 23, 2015 Mary Corso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read this one on the plane to Italy ... and then passed it on to everyone I was traveling with. I liked it much better than did my sisters. I have read a few of his books and think this one is my favorite so far.
Desiree
a "tasty" read, mainly because of the descriptions of Italian meals and wines, while the plot was far-fetched and flimsy to say the least. I read it mainly because I go to Bologna in a couple of weeks. well, an extra star for the food descriptions.
Alex
Nov 20, 2013 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
So boring, I could not finish.
Chris George
Dec 29, 2013 Chris George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast read. One of 'the Gourmet Detective' series. Set in Bologna, Italy. Any foodie will love this book!
Margaret
A light, entertaining mystery full of descriptions of Italian dishes and wines - made me think that I would really enjoy a culinary tour of Italy some day!
Richard
Fun, light read. It's a "culinary mystery". Do not read while hungry!!!
Karen
Jun 19, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the descriptions of the food in Italy and even the wines. Since I will be visiting there this summer, I considered it research for my upcoming trip!
Mike
Jun 17, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice romp through Bologna and Italian wines and foods.
Lynn Demsky
Oct 21, 2016 Lynn Demsky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ok, but really not that entertaining.
Marian Mertes
Marian Mertes rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Pamela Holloway
Pamela Holloway rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2017
Jan Yip
Jan Yip rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Jyotsna
Jyotsna rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Wendy Marion
Wendy Marion rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2017
Neus
Neus rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Francie Shoemaker
Francie Shoemaker rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Rodney
Rodney rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2008
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Drew Frey
Drew Frey rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Cook in Time (Angie Amalfi, #7)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Goody Goody Gunshots (A Candy Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • Three-Course Murder (A Culinary Mystery with Recipes)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Death by Rhubarb (Heaven Lee, #1)
Peter King (b. 1922) is an English author of mystery fiction, a Cordon Bleu–trained chef, and a retired metallurgist. He has operated a tungsten mine, overseen the establishment of South America’s first steel processing plant, and prospected for minerals around the globe. His work carried him from continent to continent before he finally settled in Florida, where he led the design team for the roc ...more
More about Peter King...

Gourmet Detective (8 books)
  • The Gourmet Detective (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 1)
  • Spiced to Death (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 2)
  • Dying on the Vine (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 3)
  • A Healthy Place to Die (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 5)
  • Eat, Drink, and be Buried (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 6)
  • Roux the Day (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 7)
  • Dine and Die on the Danube Express (Gourmet Detective Mystery, Book 8)